Real total lengh of 3570 RS

LDMC

Was wondering if anyone actually measured the complete length of their 3570 from the ladder to the front of the cap? Website states 37'10" but I know that is from the pin to the bumper.

My Garage is 38'10" inside length and want to make sure it will fit. I don't have any local dealers that have one that I can measure.

Thanks for your time.

swilhite

I think you should add 16" to the stated length. I had the same problem with our BH 3370RK. It was 2" short. Had to extend our barn.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My advice is go to a dealer with a tape measure, if you think your tolerances will be anywhere close.

Take your own measurements, length, width and height, including the ladder and any other add-on's. That way there will be no chance of any surprises when you get it home.

My experience is that there is no magic formula to add the same "X" number of inches to every model number or what is stated, to determine the actual length.

Model numbers mean very little with regard to the size of the coach.
For example, my BH "3670" is actually 40 feet overall .

The BH3570 is a great floor plan. Trace

Last edited:

jbeletti

While I don't have an answer for you, I can tell you what Heartland's published 5th wheel length measurement generally means.

Center of king pin to outside of rear cap.

So, if garaging, add to the Heartland measurement, the projection of the rear ladder and if you're using any pinbox other than a standard pinbox, include any length that it may have added.

swilhite

My number should have been 19", not 16", the difference between the published length of 36'-11" of our 3370RK and the actual length of 38'-6". In any case, a 3570RS will not fit in his garage.

Jim.Allison

I have never measured mine, but a man who seemed to be an experienced RV salesman told me that the length given in the vehicle number e.g. BG3650RL means the trailer is 36.5 feet from the rear bumper of your truck to the back of the trailer. Seems to me to be an arbitrary location to measure from, The king pin would make more sense to me, but this was his contention. However the total length of a combination is an important number.

If it is true, then one should be able to add the tow vehicle length to the 36.5 feet to determine the total length of the combination.

All guessing on my behalf.

To clarify, what this guy was indicating, is measuring from the back of the trailer, to the bumper of your truck you will get a figure such as 3650. In this manner, you could add the length of your tv to 36.5 and get your total vehicle length.

Last edited:

dewwood

I would not buy an RV from that "experienced salesman" because the numbers do not mean that is the length of the unit. They may sometimes be close but generally they are longer than the numbers that are assigned to the models.

Jim.Allison

I dont think you read my comment correctly.

I would not buy an RV from that "experienced salesman" because the numbers do not mean that is the length of the unit. They may sometimes be close but generally they are longer than the numbers that are assigned to the models.

K

karykatz

There have been many questions and comments on length of units. When heartland publishes lengths of units it is measured from the center of the pin to the back of the bumper. You will have to take in account the distance from the bumper to the ladder and the pin to the front of the cap. 16 to 18 inches is good rule of thumb. As mentioned before Model numbers are just a reference number and don't refer to the length of the unit. I hope this helps.

LDMC

Thanks for all of the replies. With the numbers that I'm seeing the 3570 will not fit or be very tight. I just noticed that Big Horn has a 3270RS that is around 36' now and it is very similiar floor plan. I will have to try to find that model and walk through it.

Gaffer

The 3270 has not been built yet. I think the first ones to roll off will be in November. There is a wait list for them with build dates locked up into February. If I recall clearly what I heard from the Bighorn rep.

K

karykatz

Gaffer is correct. the new 3270RS go into full production in November. there is a huge back log so they will be dispersed to all dealers across the country. wont be a good supply in the pipeline until after the first of the year. if you are interested get in touch and we will keep you posted what dealers will have them at the end of November. I hope this helps

LDMC

The timing should work out for what I'm looking for, late March/ early April time frame. So I will reach out to find what dealers have them once they hit the road. Thanks.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have never measured mine, but a man who seemed to be an experienced RV salesman told me that the length given in the vehicle number e.g. BG3650RL means the trailer is 36.5 feet from the rear bumper of your truck to the back of the trailer. Seems to me to be an arbitrary location to measure from, The king pin would make more sense to me, but this was his contention. However the total length of a combination is an important number.

If it is true, then one should be able to add the tow vehicle length to the 36.5 feet to determine the total length of the combination.

To clarify, what this guy was indicating, is measuring from the back of the trailer, to the bumper of your truck you will get a figure such as 3650. In this manner, you could add the length of your tv to 36.5 and get your total vehicle length.

i think the salesman was incorrect.

mobilcastle

//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Jim.Allison //heartlandowners.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png

To clarify, what this guy was indicating, is measuring from the back of the trailer, to the bumper of your truck you will get a figure such as 3650. In this manner, you could add the length of your tv to 36.5 and get your total vehicle length

Lol believing the salesman:cool:

jimtoo

That measurement cannot work. There are some 6' beds,, there are some 8' beds,, there are some 6'6". Oh,,, and the custom beds... :) Some mount the hitch directly over center,, some mount hitch 2" in front of center.

Jim.Allison

It does not matter, the clearance between your truck bumper and your fiver is fairly etched in stone for all rigs. Pin boxes are specified for trailers and not trucks. So when I hook up to your stock trailer or you hook up to mine both our stock bumpers will be in the same location in relationship to the trailer, regardless of truck manufacturer, or rail manufacturer. The detailed installation instructions dictated the location of both rail sets regardless of manufacturer. If you are two inches aft then you are compounding the pin load, if you are two inches forward you have relocated some of the load toward the front wheels as well as relocated the rig closer to the cab, both of these scenarios seem detrimental to me. If your rail kit dictated such an installation then surely it is correct, but anything custom also requires custom calculation based on the trailer length. I believe the 3650 is this figure.

I have to think that the big three truck manufacturers have a specified distance from their axle to the edge of the truck bed or bumper, otherwise we would have to purchase pin boxes to accommodate our trucks rather than the trailer, and goosenecks would have to have an adapter to accommodate inconsistencies. We already know what happens when people try to install a longer pin box to accommodate a short bed truck rather than a slider. (thank God for the 88 degree design)

The 5th wheels and goosenecks being the major market for the 250/2500 and their big brothers in the 350/3500 models SRW and DRW, I'm certain they have taken all of this into consideration It would appear to me that the distance between the centerline of the differential and the edge of the bed or bumper has to be almost identical between models. Any significant difference in distance would naturally smash your garage door or impact your trailer in an "out of camber" turn, climb or descent. Your bumper is where it is in relationship to your trailer, no matter the truck you drive.

It only makes sense that I have a truck that is 19.78 feet in length and a trailer that is 36.5 feet in length, and that my total rig is 56.28 feet overall. Well under the 65 foot max length for Texas. The overall length of the trailer at 39.5 is not important as it has no bearing on the total length of my combination. It could be 45 feet and stick out over the cab of my truck (exaggeration) as long as it does not contribute to the length to the combination.

Like I said earlier, I was told this, I do not know how valid it is, and I make no claim to its validity or consistency, but I do know it is close, and seems like a viable explanation for the elusive meaning of this mystik figure.

After I wrote the above, I decided to go test the idea on my rig which happens to be parked at my house and already hooked up to my truck, I found that the 36.5 is measured from my ladder to the rear edge of my truck bed, which is the exact location that the Curt instructions measured from to locate my rails. So on my rig at least the length of my truck plus the 3650 or 36.5 feet = the total length of my rig going down the highway. And I bet yours is the same.:cool:

That measurement cannot work. There are some 6' beds,, there are some 8' beds,, there are some 6'6". Oh,,, and the custom beds... :) Some mount the hitch directly over center,, some mount hitch 2" in front of center.

mobilcastle

Excellent post. Nice to see someone can give a short precise answer without writing a book.:cool: