Really Noisy Ceiling Fan. Anyone else?

jimtoo

slmayor said:
Jim,
how did you make the insulators? And how did you move the fan housing cover away from the ceiling? When we looked at the fan last night, that was exactly my thought about the ceiling. Ours is mounted on a recessed plastic cover that is where an additional vent opening would be. Seemed to amplify any motor noise with vibrations from the plastic.

You are correct, It just acts like an amplifier. I sent you a PM. I need to look at mine again, it's been over 6 months and I have had a senior moment since I did it. More later.

Jim

flht01

We had the motor noise in our ceiling fan, they sent me another one to replace it and it was really bad. What I did was to drop or move the fan away from the ceiling with rubber insulators I made, only dropped it about 1/2" or less. I still have plenty of clearance between slides and fan when closing. The original installation is the fan motor is screwed tight to the ceiling with no insulation between motor and ceiling joist, and this transfers the normal cheap motor humm to the ceiling joist and makes the ceiling like a speaker.

Jim
The other Jim.None

Jim,
how did you make the insulators? And how did you move the fan housing cover away from the ceiling? When we looked at the fan last night, that was exactly my thought about the ceiling. Ours is mounted on a recessed plastic cover that is where an additional vent opening would be. Seemed to amplify any motor noise with vibrations from the plastic.

You are correct, It just acts like an amplifier. I sent you a PM. I need to look at mine again, it's been over 6 months and I have had a senior moment since I did it. More later.

Jim

I just took delivery of an '09 that's making a little fan noise also but it's only noticable when it's quiet (no a/c, no tv, etc...). It was on my list of concerns but the dealer doesn't seem to think it's a problem stating that some are a little noisier than others. Did adding the rubber isolators take most of the noise out? If so, could you go into a little detail on the installation ?
Thanks

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Kevin,
we wound up having the fan replaced in ours. Ours just wasn't vibration noise as we originally thought. The new one has nothing other than a little hum to it when it's on. Do make sure you check all the mounting screws, etc, as we did find some loose ones.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Our fan did not work from the beginning. We had to leave the area, so the dealer shipped the fan to us and I installed it myself. When I took the old fan down, I noticed what the problems were. One of the screws that holds the blade to the motor had fallen out and been replaced with a much longer screw and it was making contact with the motor windings. Would not allow the fan to move and actually created some sparking issues. I also noticed, from time to time, screws laying on the floor, that were falling out of the fan blade brackets. Both on the motor side and the blade side. The new fan came with washers for every screw in the kit. Whoever had assembled the original fan did not use one single washer for any screw and they kept falling out. The vibration of traveling had loosened every screw. I made sure to use a washer on every screw and have not had one fall out since.
Fred

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Maybe I shouldn't say anything. Ours has been going 24/7/365 unless we're moving from one campground to another. It has a very slight hum but it's not really noticeable unless there is no background noise going like the TV. We have lived in our 3400 since August 2006. Now that I've bragged about our fan, it will probably quit working or something.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
You are one brave soul, Ray. Mine would have stopped about the time I hit the save button on the post.:p
Fred

flht01

Thanks for all the comments, it sure helped point me in the right direction.

The plastic cover (hiding the hole where the ceiling vent was) was touching the fan's motor cover and magnifying the noise. I put a homemade plastic washer between the fan bracket and junction box (unseen after everything was reinstalled). It helps keep a small gap between the two covers and it's so quiet now I have to look up to see if its running.:D

My fan blades didn't have the washers installed either. I ended up using a little Loctite blue on all the screws.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Blades droop

Our ceiling fan's blade was also snapped in-two by a incoming slide. Blades
that are made of pressed cardboard fiber product ( not for exterior use )
droop due to gravity , age & humidity . We replaced ours with a 44" ceiling hugger from Lowe's . Instructions warned against allowing fan motor cover to touch ceiling thus transferring sound into ceiling, hard rubber washers provided this space.

azbound

We took delivery in Dec. went straight to Az. and the Ceiling fan is very noisy when we first turn it on. After a while it seems to quite down. Have it at the local dealer now ( Dam Gamil ) they say it is now quite and are checking it out periodically while it is there. The noise is a loud hum, is that what you are experiencing? I suggest you take down there now, maybe with a second unit in at the same time they will rethink how quite or what they think is acceptable. By the way They have great to work with, I suggest you try to work with Larry Joe.

red4re

Mine is noisy and is in the shop now to get fixed. They have had it two weeks and I am not sure what the fix is yet. But it was one of several things on our list to get fixed after the first weekend of camping. It is really noisy on all speeds.

red

red4re

Just talked to the dealer and the noise in my fan was coming from a loose wire rubbing on the top side of the motor. They said they secured the wire and the noise is gone. I will pick it up tomorrow and know for sure.

red

Chuck Richard

You are not alone, picked up my 3055 two weeeks ago. The fan was noisy but the dealer fixed during the PDI and said it was a wire rubbing. Last weekend on the first trip out we now have new very loud noise when the motor is on but the fan is quiet once the motor is off and it winds down. On the list for my first trip back to the dealer to replace the kitchen counter top that was cracked when it arrived at the dealer.