Renewed Trailer Plates $$$$ OWWW - How much was yours?

skyguy

Horn registered in Montana. $303.00 in Calif.....was $186.00 in Montana and only because it was the 1st time there and done with a credit card over the phone. OH YEA, its a one time pay and never pay again. Maybe if they kicked all the people off welfare (not saying who) they would have money again.

$186 huh... DW's Mom and family live in Montana.... Maybe we need to set up residence there....

wdk450

Let me get bankrupt California's fees into this discussion. About $650 for the 2004 Dodge 1 ton, About $530 for the 2008 Bighorn 3670.

We would get out of California except for our Kaiser medical coverage, and the house we are upside down in.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Al, all you have to do is own property. They dont care if it has a house on it. 78 Winchester Rd. in Round Up Montana is for sale.

bill40

Just got our BC sticker $27.00 but the truck is $226.00. Looks like it's all over the board depending what state you live in.

irvin56

I believe it was in the $ 40.00 range for 1 time fee FOR LIFE. For any trailer I want to put it on, today or 10 yrs from now.

$ 72.00/ yr for vehicles

RollingHome

Al, (Skyguy) I've read your post several times and vowed to keep my mouth shut... But, it ain't me.... Dude U are getting ripped off by the scum bags in ur Colorado capital... I am a rebel and I encorage u to be the same. Here's what i suggest. Form a corporation in Delaware ( I will give you the contacts to do so, HIT ME BACK PRIVATE EMAIL). You also ought to check out the coporation laws in Nevado. In DE. you will have to pay a $80.00 franchise tax yearly ( so- what))... and register ur RV in Delaware... This will require you to come to Delaware every 3 years for state inspection (about 2 hours tops) then go onto the CG you picked in the area. OR, you can use my address in PA (I'm serious) just to beat the (female Dags) in CO. ... man $900.00 bucks a year for a RV just ain't right !!! In PA. I can get a local guy to sticker ya for a year at my location... Then you and the family can enjoy our PA hospitality. What you are paying is wrong and it just is not right ! PERIOD ! I'm not even you and this causes me heart burn ! Tom

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Both our truck and trailer are do this month.
Truck is almost $900.00, trailer is $850.00

While that is ridiculous as Tom pointed out, it is part of the property taxes. SC has some of the lowest house taxes in the country but they make up for it through your plates. They have passed a law several years ago to do away with the tag tax and increase the house tax. So far, all they have done is raise the house tax. (Imagine that).

I believe the reason behind the high tag tax was to ensure that people who rent also pay their fair share towards the schools.

Tankie

If thats true then people that owen a house should get a break on their tags!
Enough is enough when I don't have the money for something and can't afford the payments if I borrow it then I do without! This insane Gov. (at all levels) needs to do same thing! Now we are going to borrow 7billion dollars to help bailout Greece when we are right behind them in line!!!!!! In Nov. the battle cry needs to be WE THE PEOPLE ARE HAVE AWAKEN!!!!!!!!!

RollingHome

Larry, then it appears your state (SC) is double dipping in taxation. The renting tenants may not be paying real estate taxes, but the landlord or owner of the rental property is... trust me, I have first knowledge of this. Then the owner or landlord passes this through to the tenant as part of the rental fee. So, the tenant is paying twice, once in the rent and then for tags. The landlord or owner is also paying twice, once for his principal domicile (his primary home) and again for his/her tags... Wow ! I call that extreme and it is extortion ! The various government agencies are running out of $, we hear this on the news every day. They are just getting creative at renaming taxes. I remember learning many years ago "when a country reaches a 50% tax level - it has failed and will fall"... Adding up all the taxes, fees, and $ going back to our various offices of government, we are close to the 50% level ! I am not turning this thread into a political discussion because the thread will be closed. What's going on in our neck of the woods is we are getting dinged more and more for "stuff" we want to do or buy. For example, I had to pay almost $3,500 for a permit for my toy barn. The permit was based on square footage not $ value - it was also the highest fee in the nation. My neighbor paid $700.00 in permit fees for a 16' x 30' addition (a bedroom & a living room) for his aging ailing mother to live in. Then they put all kinds of stipulations on how the addition had to be built which drove the actual cost way too high. The little tin gods even mandated what type light fixtures had to installed. It just doesn't stop, does it ?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

rjr6150

Al I feel your pain ours are due in the next 30 days and slightly over $850. We need to talk at the rally Kathy and I have been looking into South Dakota. See you on Thursday sounds like we all should be bringing our rain/snow gear

RollingHome

The high cost of tags, is this a yearly cost ? Also, Jim Too, how much $ are tags in TX ? I am shocked at these way too high fees. I feel for you guys. John, keep heating the tar..., throw the sea gulls in, it'll be like a primer and finish coat in one mix :).

jimtoo

My tags in Texas for BH3055 are aprox $125 per year, if I remember correctly it is based on GVWR of trailer, plus state inspection of $14.50. When you purchase a unit you pay a 6% sales tax, but just the one time.

Jim M

SouthernNights

My tags in Texas for BH3055 are aprox $125 per year, if I remember correctly it is based on GVWR of trailer, plus state inspection of $14.50. When you purchase a unit you pay a 6% sales tax, but just the one time.

Jim M

There in lies a big difference between SC and some other states. We pay $300.00 max on sales tax when your make a big purchase here, whether it is a trailer or truck etc.

Then you get to pay every year after that, that ridiculous tag tax. You may be paying 3k up front and be done with it, where we pay $300.00. I would rather pay the big shot up front. If you keep your toy for any length of time you will end up paying much much more than the 3k.

Another little shock here. Let's say you sell your trailer on January 2. Because you still owned the trailer on Jan 1, you still owe the tag tax. Then you trade in your trailer on Jan 2 for another rig. You get to pay the $300.00 again at purchase time and another tag tax next year.

Who said polititians are only good at spending money? They are pretty good at raising money too.

RollingHome

Besides CO. & SC. are there any others states charging these way too high tag fees ? I have to believe these tag cost are stopping many from buying RV's. In PA tag cost are close to TX. our state inspection is $37.00 for the BH and it's done by independent stations v/s state run inspection like Delaware & New Jersey. In PA. tags & inspection are for one year on the TV. I think I got 3 years on the BH tags, can't remember. My 1 ton TV tags are $85.00 and our one time sales tax is 6%. However, most real estate taxes in the tri-state area (PA, NJ, DE) are very high.

Tankie

What do they inspect on the 5th wheel? I have got tags 3 years in WA and have never had an inspection.

SouthernNights

One thing I neglected to add, our tag tax does reduce each year. Not substantially until the vehicle is 5 or 6 years old though.
I think that the amount of tax is based purly on estimated value. It is the only question on the tag form other than specific vehicle info.

In the case of a new or used vehicle, the state uses the Bill of Sale. If bought from a dealership, the dealership is kind enough to send the paperwork in for you. Doesn't matter if you bought out of state with the tag tax. It does on the sales tax though.
When we bought our trailer in Mi., the dealership added in a much higher number than SC's $300.00. When we caught it on the contract, the dealership had to call SC, to verify it. They couldn't believe it was only $300 until we told them about the tag tax. I think they almost felt sorry for us then.