Repairing Awning with Flexseal?

57chevyconvt

What stared out is a small delamination of the vinyl on the top of the main awning is now an area of 4" by 18". The failure is neglect on my part to repair the small area last fall before winter weather and water intrusion. My question to the forum is, has anyone tried the rubber in a can stuff called FlexSeal to recoat the awing fabric substrate?

wdk450

They sell clear awning repair tape. I have used it for rips at the ends pf the awning. Many WalMarts stock it. Clear Gorilla Tape seems to be the same stuff, or better, and comes in a wider width. I would worry about the Flexseal sticking to the other layers of awning when the awning is rolled up.

I have been pricing awning tops for my brother's patio awning on Amazon, and they can be had there in the $200 range.

57chevyconvt

Bill, thanks for flagging the possibility of Flex Seal bleeding through to the layer of fabric below. Based on you thoughts, I taped a sheet of plastic sheeting on the underneath side of the fabric before rolling up the awning. Since the problem area was on the very top of the awning that is exposed to the sun light I was able to successfully make the repairs using Flex Seal. After the Flex Seal dried, it was no longer sticky/tacky. I consider this repair a temporary fix until I can replace the awing fabric later in the year.