Repairing Holes in our Cyclone

MonsterRide

Hello,

When we purchased our Cyclone from the dealer they mounted a TV bracket in the loft area and drilled the holes through to the outside (see attached). Our hope is that these holes will be repaired properly so that they will not pose problems down the road.

We got a quote which the dealer thinks is too high, so we got a second quote that was even higher. Our ask was simply that the holes be properly repaired - not plugged. Can you provide me with detail about how these holes can be properly repaired so that we can be sure that we are paying for only what needs to be done - no more, or no less?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374623599.825170.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374623599.825170.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 151

oscar

Welcome aboard. How high is high? How high is higher? Don't tease us like that, just give us the numbers OK? I mean, if you're looking for "insight" it would be nice to have something to work with.

Meanwhile if you want perfection you're talking filling fairing and then stripping and repainting and applying decals to the entire side of the unit, as in a car where you have to paint the whole front/back/side in order not to have an edge. Not really realistic is it? So the next best thing is to fill fair and apply gelcoat with as close a color as humanly possible, but you know where to look so you will always see it.

Now...."no problems down the road" means waterproof.....as in plugged. There is no structural consideration here. But, I would think that cosmetics matter so you would want it done so it's narely noticeable (except to you which is unavoidable, but not really a "problem down the road".....

All bovine crapping aside..... If it was me I would feather the edges on the holes slightly and fill with epoxy. Then Dremmel just concave, and fill with a gelcoat with color to match as close as I could. Fair, sand in ever increasing grits and polish and wax....cost....oh, dunno.....$20?

MonsterRide

High is $900, higher is $1,200. Outcome desired would be structurally sound, and no cosmetic problems down the road like peeling or chipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since it was the dealer that drilled the hole through the side, if it was my rig, I would tell the dealer, you broke it, you fix it. Fix it right.
It don't matter if it costs $900 or $1200.
JMHO

Peace
Dave

MonsterRide

Cookie, I'm with you.

Now I'm trying to get a clear definition of "right". Once that is determined I believe they can be persuaded to cover the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

sjs731

The definition of "right" in this case, to me, means the rig looks like it did when it came of the line at the factory when the repair is done. Anything less would not cut it.

Steve and Carrie
HOC#2252
Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
If I see the picture correctly, you have a hole in the gelcoat and one through decal.

The decal is the easy fix, the gelcoat match requires skill

The 9-1200 sounds high, but a good gelcoat guy will make a perfect match and that skill must be paid for.
It can be more difficult then matching paint, as the natural "yellowing" of the gel coat has to be figured in.

gpshemi

I think I'd want it repaired exactly, but something to consider is desguise.

Peel the graphics back, plug and epoxy the holes, then reapply the decals such that they cover the plugged holes, or even put a Cyclone logo over it. Something...

oscar

Disguise as what - bullet hole?

Awesome, why didn't I think of that.

Along the lines of the discussion here, because of all the issues with it I am planning on removing the ladder and I am trying to come up with a way to camouflage all those holes......

gpshemi

No I was thinking something more natural than that.

How about turning it into an external plug-in box for 110v and TV jack and mount a TV bracket out there.
Not sure where it's located, but maybe a door stopper, or hatch catch, another garage vent, a mock dryer vent, another little door light, a 110v plug for awning lights, one of those HUGE 88 degree radius patent stickers...LOL.
IDK...Gues I'd have to see it better I suppose.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
After seeing their work at mounting a TV bracket, I don't think I would want them to ever touch it again. HOW STUPID to not put a piece of rubber hose on the drill bit to limit the depth of the hole. Even a 5 year old knows that. There would be no doubt in my mind about them paying to fix it....no matter how much it costs. Even if it means a trip to small claims court and bad mouthing them all over town. If it had happened to me....I'm sure there would been a small atomic blast/cloud around me.

gpshemi

Well I was a little confused as to if it was bought this way with the understanding that they'd correctly mount it, or if it was done as an install.
If it was purchased this way, the purchase should be conditional upon fixing to a factory look. If it was done on an install...well...you'd want to keep your distance from me that week. Someone's head would have to roll.

oscar

While there may be a valid legal, moral and ethical claim in "making them make it right" there is a reality check in order here. #1 Do they want to? #2 Do they have the skill to? (apparently not)

Bottom line is, you can stand your ground and go into a long and drawn out tug-'o-war with these clowns, or you can just plug the holes best you can and go camping. At some point you'll run into someone who knows what they're doing and they'll fix them for a fair amount.

Bottom line, is it worth being ****ed over for a long time and spending a lot of time chasing this while you could be camping and enjoying yourself? A quick message to the BBB and a nice piece of hatemail to HL, CC the clowns and be done with it.

Food for thought.