Replaced battery

Stinger381

I replaced my 12 volt battery before my latest trip as the landing jacks would not work without me plugging in the 50 amp service. So I figured the battery was dead and I knew I needed it for proper service. I took the whole rig to the local battery dealer and let the kid there do the labor of pulling the battery out. He opens the box and says " Whoaaaa, you gotta see this!" The battery had exploded in the box and the top was blown off. He cleaned it all up and replaced the battery with a size 27, not sure if that is a common size or not but then he looks at the extra room in the box and says he can probably fit a 31Max in the compartment. I told him to go for it. He says the 31max is the largest deep cycle available ? Not sure if that means where I live or anywhere? But the battery worked great for my trip. I also noticed that the battery did not have wing nuts. The dealer says the EPA has made the battery companies switch to nuts on the threads to eliminate the possibility of loose connections. He said a loose connection can arc and if there are battery fumes in the box your battery will explode. Well. Now I know.

Jim.Allison

Your battery exploded because it had a short in it. Hydrogen is powerful explosive but probably not powerful enough to blow your battery apart UNLESS it exploded from inside. Without researching it, I would say that your battery was needing service, and your charger was trying to charge it. You had a short in one of the cells which finally got hot enough to ignite the hydrogen created inside your battery. The top was blown off as a result.
My advise to you (advice is worth what you pay for it, in this case nothing) I would be sure to wash down the inside of that battery compartment thoroughly, more than once, I would use common soap and water then a mixture of baking soda and water. let it dry then rinse again thoroughly, Then I would get some WD 40 or such, perhaps even some corrosion proof oil from the electrical department at lowes and spray it down thoroughly. Once all that corrosion has been halted I would use Krylon industrial primer to paint all metal surfaces.

Depending on how much damage has been done, your insurance company may pay for it. they won't pay for the battery but they will damage from an exploding battery. Fortunately you were not hurt. BTW look at true deep cycle house batts for your rig the next time you buy batteries. Trojan, Continental, are just 2 among many industrial batteries. The 31 Everstart MAXX is not a good house battery and is not necessarily a deep cycle batt it is a multi purpos starting battery for vehicles that have large electrical systems. Next time you need a house battery look to an industrial supplier of deep cycle batteries. Trojan and Continental are just two brands, there are many.

Good luck

I replaced my 12 volt battery before my latest trip as the landing jacks would not work without me plugging in the 50 amp service. So I figured the battery was dead and I knew I needed it for proper service. I took the whole rig to the local battery dealer and let the kid there do the labor of pulling the battery out. He opens the box and says " Whoaaaa, you gotta see this!" The battery had exploded in the box and the top was blown off. He cleaned it all up and replaced the battery with a size 27, not sure if that is a common size or not but then he looks at the extra room in the box and says he can probably fit a 31Max in the compartment. I told him to go for it. He says the 31max is the largest deep cycle available ? Not sure if that means where I live or anywhere? But the battery worked great for my trip. I also noticed that the battery did not have wing nuts. The dealer says the EPA has made the battery companies switch to nuts on the threads to eliminate the possibility of loose connections. He said a loose connection can arc and if there are battery fumes in the box your battery will explode. Well. Now I know.

Stinger381

I went to a direct industrial supplier of batteries to get the replacement and got a true industrial deep cycle battery to replace the factory battery. There really wasn't any "damage" in the compartment area from the exploded battery. It was all contained in the battery box. The tech there clean the battery box well and put the new size 31 battery inside. It wasn't an ever start brand battery but I'm not sure of the brand either. I will have to back and take a look. It did cost me $119 bucks I think and I got a little discount due to where I worK and the business I throw their way.

porthole

Retired
Did you know - there are 3 main battery manufacturers in the US for automotive lead acid batteries?
Johnson Controls, Delphi and Exide.

From Interstate's website:
As of May 1, 2013, there are three major automotive starting flooded battery manufacturers in the United States.
There are four absorbed glass-mat (AGM) starting battery manufacturers.
There are four flooded deep cycle battery/major deep cycle battery manufacturers.

Jim.Allison

http://www.trojanbattery.com/ These are the house battery people. They make true Deep Cycle Battery, that can cycle many times before they are worn out. If cared for properly they can last 8 to 10 years. When people find out that heartlands residential refrigerator inverter kills their batteries they will be posting questions about what to do about it. Residential refers are going to be batt killers. Hide and watch.

Did you know - there are 3 main battery manufacturers in the US for automotive lead acid batteries?
Johnson Controls, Delphi and Exide.

From Interstate's website:
As of May 1, 2013, there are three major automotive starting flooded battery manufacturers in the United States.
There are four absorbed glass-mat (AGM) starting battery manufacturers.
There are four flooded deep cycle battery/major deep cycle battery manufacturers.

scottyb

Residential refers are going to be batt killers. Hide and watch.

I think the real killer will be using only 2 12V (180-200 Ah) hybrid marine batteries. Residential fridges have been in motorhomes for a while now, but almost all of them use 4, 6, or 8 6V (450, 675, 900 Ah) deep cycle batteries.

Jim.Allison

Yes, But I don't know of any 200 AH hybrids in lead acid. I used two Trojan T1275 12v 150 AH deep cycle batts for a total of 300 AH (150 ah at 50%). I can get more out of 3 of those than I can 4 of the 6v. Space and weight were a major consideration. I would sincerely would like to know why 6v GC is still the batt of choice for these systems. Mine seems to be doing well on 12v parallel. BTW Continental has identical batts to the Trojan for less money.

I think the real killer will be using only 2 12V (180-200 Ah) hybrid marine batteries. Residential fridges have been in motorhomes for a while now, but almost all of them use 4, 6, or 8 6V (450, 675, 900 Ah) deep cycle batteries.