Replaced plastic check valve with a brass one last weekend

Dmetcalf

I had the interior panel off looking at some wiring project I was working on when I noticed the plastic check valve coming off of the water heater. I happen to have a new brass one so I went ahead and replaced it. I’m sure the plastic one works fine but I had a better brass one and just decided to replace it. Although I have to admit that I did keep the plastic one just in case of an emergent situation when I needed one I would have one.

mlpeloquin

Good move. Apparently the failure rate for the plastic ones is high enough that Heartland, at least in 2015 Goshen rally at the factory tour, was in stalling the brass ones. I checked mine, 2014, and it is brass. One person two or so spaces down from us had a flood at the rally. It was a plastic check valve on the water heater. Jim Beletti had a spare brass one and gave it to him. He installed it and spent two days with a fan trying to dry his rig out. If you have a plastic one, get a brass one to have on hand.

jbeletti

I didn't know that we went back to using plastic check valves on some units. Hope it's not too prevalent.

A number of years back, the RVIA recommended against use of the brass ones the industry was using as either VA or CA had changed the lead-content allowance in brass fittings. So until reformulated brass check valves were produced, we used plastic ones.

Dmetcalf

I didn't know that we went back to using plastic check valves on some units. Hope it's not too prevalent.

A number of years back, the RVIA recommended against use of the brass ones the industry was using as either VA or CA had changed the lead-content allowance in brass fittings. So until reformulated brass check valves were produced, we used plastic ones.

Thats interesting to know because I have not heard that before..! I kept the plastic one in case down the road I have to replace the brass one for some reason. I just like having spare parts available to me ...

david-steph2018

I had the interior panel off looking at some wiring project I was working on when I noticed the plastic check valve coming off of the water heater. I happen to have a new brass one so I went ahead and replaced it. I’m sure the plastic one works fine but I had a better brass one and just decided to replace it. Although I have to admit that I did keep the plastic one just in case of an emergent situation when I needed one I would have one.
Last September the plastic elbow for cold water inlet to the hot water tank cracked. I was not sure how long it was cracked because I didn't see any water leaking. So it was still under warranty and had it replacement at Heartland cost

jbeletti

Thats interesting to know because I have not heard that before..! I kept the plastic one in case down the road I have to replace the brass one for some reason. I just like having spare parts available to me ...

Carry spares of some items is a good thing. And you never know who will need it. I've given parts to Heartlanders and SOBs alike.

wdk450

Jim:
In 2010 California reduced its allowable lead content in drinking water line fittings by 32 times from 8% to 0.25%. This check valve is on the HOT water system, (most people don't use HOT water for drinking or cooking), and has less than 1 square centimeter water contact. I'm sure you will get more lead from the lead NATURALLY (ORGANICALLY - Ha Ha) in the supply water, than this small fitting will ever expose you to. I guess someone will have to come up with an internal plastic coating for all the brass water fittings used in California.

https://www.dtsc.ca.gov/PollutionPrevention/upload/lead-in-plumbing-fact-sheet.pdf

Last edited:

Dmetcalf

Jim:
In 2010 California reduced its allowable lead content in drinking water lines by 32 times from 8% to 0.25%. This check valve is on the HOT water system, (most people don't use HOT water for drinking or cooking), and has less than 1 square centimeter water contact. I'm sure you will get more lead from the lead NATURALLY (ORGANICALLY - Ha Ha) in the supply water, than this small fitting will ever expose you to. I guess someone will have to come up with an internal plastic coating for all the brass water fittings used in California.

https://www.dtsc.ca.gov/PollutionPrevention/upload/lead-in-plumbing-fact-sheet.pdf
Great information..! Thanks