Replacment floor vents with dampers

TxCowboy

Anyone have a good source to replace the stock floor vents with ones that have flush mount dampers? By "flush mount", I mean the damper controller doesn't stick up above the floor. We don't want to step on the damper controller and break them off. We believe that the floor vents fit a 4 inch by 10 inch floor opening.

Looked over at Amazon and no luck.

TIA! :)

dbbls59

I've read on here that is not a good idea to restrict the flow as it could result in the furnace overheating. I have no idea if this is a valid concern.

Az_Ernie

I've read on here that is not a good idea to restrict the flow as it could result in the furnace overheating. I have no idea if this is a valid concern.
I read that as well. We replaced the heater vent in our bathroom. When furnace was running, heat in bathroom was almost unbearable. We didn't completely block the vent, just adjusted it about half closed. We've been operating the furnace in his configuration for over a year now, no problems so far. (fingers crossed) :)

danemayer

Suburban is very clear on this subject. Restricting airflow can cause overheating in the combustion chamber which can cause the over-temperature switch to open, shutting down the furnace. The duty cycle on the switch is an unknown, but it's possible that repeated operation may result in a switch failure, disabling the furnace.

A lot of people restrict airflow anyway. My advice is to figure out a way to remind yourself that if you start having intermittent furnace problems, or the over-temperature switch fails, that you'll revisit your decision.

Az_Ernie

Suburban is very clear on this subject. Restricting airflow can cause overheating in the combustion chamber which can cause the over-temperature switch to open, shutting down the furnace. The duty cycle on the switch is an unknown, but it's possible that repeated operation may result in a switch failure, disabling the furnace.

A lot of people restrict airflow anyway. My advice is to figure out a way to remind yourself that if you start having intermittent furnace problems, or the over-temperature switch fails, that you'll revisit your decision.

I hear you, Dan. Good advice. Thanks.

dlw930

We like to use the louvered diffusers so we can close them in warm weather so dirt and dust from the living space doesn't get into the heating ducts. Just have to remember to open them before running the furnace. That said, we do shut off the bathroom diffuser part way, otherwise, the proximity of the bathroom vent to the furnace causes the bathroom to get too hot when the furnace runs. Since we're only partially closing one of the five vents in the rig, we've not experienced any issues with the over-temperature switch opening to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
While behind the basement wall for other reasons, we noted a large amount of extra ducting for the bathroom vent, which only really needed to be about 7 ft long. We shortened it to be a nice straight run to the vent. By doing so it now BLASTS warm air -- so that's why we added the louvered vent. We probably aren't "blocking the flow" any more than the extra bunched, sagging ductwork was doing.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I replaced all of our registers with adjustable ones from Home Depot years ago. The furnace didn't quit, the trailer didn't blow up, and the bedroom and bathroom quit being a bake oven.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Don't get the plastic ones from Camping World . . .

MeltedVentCover2016.jpg

This is what happened to the two I bought the first time the furnace ran after installation.

JohnD

Wow John! That would really put a damper on things! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Funny stuff! ;)

By the way, I should mention that the two I bought were in the bathroom and bedroom, which are in close proximity to the furnace.

The plastic ones would be OK for vents that are not near the furnace.

As for damage to the furnace caused by closing said dampers, I would think that having the damper closed would just force more heat out of the other vents, which they do.

That is part of the reason I got them since the heat flow on the other end of the trailer (living room and kitchen) is pretty weak, despite having this worked on under warranty by our dealership.

TxCowboy

Thanks for the feedback, gang. Found what I needed on Amazon.

And for all those that were concerned about using dampers to restrict the airflow, I know all about that stuff so no worries. By closing the dampers when the furnace is not in use, I hope to reduce the amount of crap that falls into the floor ducts. I've had to remove the vents and vacuum out my floor air ducts about once per month and it's getting a little old. Hopefully the dampers will help.

RoadJunkie

I hope to reduce the amount of crap that falls into the floor ducts. I've had to remove the vents and vacuum out my floor air ducts about once per month and it's getting a little old. Hopefully the dampers will help.

I'm not sure how dampers would help with this problem. Doesn't the dirt just fall in when you open the dampers? You would still have to remove and clean the dampers before they are opened. Seems like vent covers would be more appropriate, if there is such a thing.

JohnD

I'm not sure how dampers would help with this problem. Doesn't the dirt just fall in when you open the dampers? You would still have to remove and clean the dampers before they are opened. Seems like vent covers would be more appropriate, if there is such a thing.

Vacuum cleaner will take care of this issue . . .

danemayer

I got tired of stuff falling through the heat registers. I took some netting used to package oranges, cut it into rectangles, and trapped it between the register and floor. It catches most stuff and makes it easy to retrieve things like earrings, or vacuum up miscellaneous crud. DW's idea.

CoveredWagon

Amazon has them. Magnetic vent covers