RESOLVED: 30C VIN tag inaccurate

taken

Re: 30C VIN tag inaccurate.

Since dry weights don't include options, wouldn't it be great if they figured the weight of each option and added it to the dry weight on the tag? Something like a fantastic fan wouldn't make much difference, but an Onan 5500 genset or second AC sure would. There aren't many options so it wouldn't be much of a task to do this and would give the end user a much more accurate weight to start with. Either that or simply put a scale in front of the factory door that each rig rolls over on the way out the door. Doesn't seem that arduous and would take it away from the "weight police" that haunt every forum lecturing on how dry weight means nothing...

danemayer

It's not too hard to stop at a CAT Scale to find out your actual weight instead of adding a bunch of numbers together and maybe getting it right. Even better, take advantage of offers to get individual wheel weights, like at the North American Rally.

taken

Yep, you're right. I did get mine weighed. However, I like many on forums, am an enthusiast. Most owners aren't and can't be bothered. I guess it's every person's job to be their own advocate.

jimtoo

It is my understanding for the last 3 years or so, that all the Landmarks, Big Horns, and Big Country are weighed as they exit the plant door and sticker is printed at that time with actual weight. The scales are accurate as I stood on them during factory tour of 2011. I do not know about the other brands that Heartland makes.

jbeletti

It is my understanding for the last 3 years or so, that all the Landmarks, Big Horns, and Big Country are weighed as they exit the plant door and sticker is printed at that time with actual weight. The scales are accurate as I stood on them during factory tour of 2011. I do not know about the other brands that Heartland makes.

All units across all brands are weighed. RVIA rule from a few years ago. Good rule :)

Theresau

We watched them being weighed at the end of the line. However GVWR is not adjusted per the actual dry weight. Ours came in around 1,200 #'s more than the factory dry weight. We were concerned this would happen that's why we upgraded axles to 7,000# during the build.

Our dry weight is 12,100 #'s (factory was 10,990) our GVWR (with the 6,000 # axles) is 14,000. Our dry/unloaded weight will increase once we add our receiver and bike rack and if the Mor-Ryde pin box weighs more than the standard pin box.

Thanks for all the responses.

All units across all brands are weighed. RVIA rule from a few years ago. Good rule :)

danemayer

However GVWR is not adjusted per the actual dry weight.

Actual dry weight determined when the unit is weighed at the end of the line is different from the dry weight spec for the base unit, I would think primarily due to options that aren't part of the base spec. Our Rushmore weighed significantly more than the dry weight spec because we added a generator, washer/dryer, 2nd A/C unit, fireplace, 2nd TV, etc.

GVWR is the design limit. It's not going to be adjusted up or down.

SMDAT

Hey Mike,

We were also one of those 2013 30C's with incorrect stickers. Ours also had the tire size and pressure's incorrect. I would think that could be a huge problem should someone decide to put 110 PSI (as labeled) into an 80 PSI (actual tires) tire : ) Our dealer already has the replacement stickers in hand for replacement during our first warranty stop.

taken

Mine is the other way around as I added load range G tires which are 110 psi. I probably should have asked Heartland change that too, but I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. Anyways, it can't hurt mine the way it is as G tires can run at 80 just not the other way around.

beasleyrl

Just wondering why the same logic does not apply to all units, such as the 3 x 6K 5th wheels. Not that I really want to carry 21K in my Cyclone, but I would like a little cushion on the books in the event I was rolling heavy with water or cases of beer or whatever.

Scottyb, I've asked the same question in reverse. My 2009 Cyclone actually has a rating of 20,400 on the sticker yet it has 3-6K axles. When I started breaking leaf springs, I had the rig weighed and it came in just under 18K pounds without my golf cart. The dealer then told me I was over weight and that was the reason for the spring failure.

Of course my response was no, the sticker says the rig is rated for 20,400 so he took me out on the lot to show me a 2010 Cyclone to prove it was only 18K. Needless to say, we then went to my rig and it was 20,400. I was then told that was probably correct because you add the PIN to the 18K and that Heartland must have just changed the way they calculate it.

scottyb

Scottyb, I've asked the same question in reverse. My 2009 Cyclone actually has a rating of 20,400 on the sticker yet it has 3-6K axles. When I started breaking leaf springs, I had the rig weighed and it came in just under 18K pounds without my golf cart. The dealer then told me I was over weight and that was the reason for the spring failure.

Of course my response was no, the sticker says the rig is rated for 20,400 so he took me out on the lot to show me a 2010 Cyclone to prove it was only 18K. Needless to say, we then went to my rig and it was 20,400. I was then told that was probably correct because you add the PIN to the 18K and that Heartland must have just changed the way they calculate it.

Unless you were over 21K, I doubt you were over 18K on the axles. I am pretty certain that I am over the 18K GVWR with mine most of the time but hopefully significantly less on the axles. I have mapped out some CAT Scales on my route this week and I am planning to go across them with my normal cargo and about 20 gal of water in the FW.

SCPOBob

This is great to hear...I have a 2012 300C and when I contacted Cyclone earlier this year I was told that the BOM indicated I had 6K axles (I didn't look at the unit as it was in storage and lousy weather), so no luck on getting new sticker. Well now my trailer is on my lot and I can check it this evening. If they are not the 6K axles you can bet I will be contact Cyclone Support and AJ again...

Theresau

At our request, Heartland sent a replacement of the VIN sticker on the side of our coach so that it reflects the 7000# axles and the G rated tires (as the coach was built with these). All other information stayed the same.

wdk450

When I had my frame flex repair done at the factory, they put a new outside VIN tag on, with a capacity 500 lbs less than the old tag, and 500 lbs less than what is on the tag in the cabinet in the kitchen. I asked about this, and no one seemed to take it seriously.

SCPOBob

This is great to hear...I have a 2012 300C and when I contacted Cyclone earlier this year I was told that the BOM indicated I had 6K axles (I didn't look at the unit as it was in storage and lousy weather), so no luck on getting new sticker. Well now my trailer is on my lot and I can check it this evening. If they are not the 6K axles you can bet I will be contact Cyclone Support and AJ again...
Well dang it (or something to that affect) the axles on our coach either have the tags removed or completed obliterated so I can't tell if they are 6K or 7K axles. Maybe a PM to AJ for confirmation on what Support provided me....

taken

Another way to ask is, did the 300C EVER come with 6k axles. I'm guessing not. I'm sure there is another way to tell other than the sticker too...

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I find it odd that if you put the advertised 2500 lbs in the garage of a 300C you will find your rear axles about 800lbs over weight. Assuming you have nothing else in the trailer and the tanks are dry.

My 300C also came with the 14k sticker. I had a new one about two weeks after HL was notified. But it was strange that the dry weight changed as well. It should not have changed if these trailers are weighed as they roll off the floor. Seems there is some discrepancy on how the actual weight from the scale makes its way to the engineer for processing the stickers.

Here is my weigh slip. I have my 900xp RZR in the garage and 100gals of water in the tank. There might be another 100lbs of personal items in the trailer. The pickup is a 12' F350 Dually 4 dr 4wd.

y3asyry3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD