RESOLVED: 6 point Level-Up System Problems

avvidclif

It seems my level-up system has gone stupid. After unhooking and pushing the auto-level button it will level front to rear. It then starts lowering the rear 4 jacks and if the rv is close to level it stops and shows Success. Sometimes 1 o r2 of the rear jacks are down to the ground and some halfway down. At no time is it grounding all 4 and then leveling as it should. The book says re-calibrate the level. Ok, tried that. First step turn on unit. Second step push the front button 10 times. Third push the rear button 10 times. Problem is when pushing the Front button it activates the front jacks which changes my level I have set to calibrate to.

When the problem first started about leveling last month I called Lippert. "OH, it's out of warranty you will have to buy another unit" A lot of help.

I think I remember reading on here or somewhere that I needed to reset the microprocessor in the main unit and that consisted of unplugging the connector with the single red wire on it for a minute and then reconnecting and calibrating the level.

Anyone confirm that? As it is I can manual level with no problems I would hate to mess it up worse.

danemayer

Re: 6 point Level-Up System Problems

The book says re-calibrate the level. Ok, tried that. First step turn on unit. Second step push the front button 10 times. Third push the rear button 10 times. Problem is when pushing the Front button it activates the front jacks which changes my level I have set to calibrate to.

I don't know which is correct, what you wrote, or what Lippert put in the Lippert Manual, but there's a discrepancy in the first step.

ZERO SETTING THE CONTROL
1. Turn “ON/OFF” button “OFF”
2. Push “FRONT” button 10 times,
3. Push “REAR” button 10 times
4. Control will flash and beep, LCD says “ZERO POINT CALIBRATE”
5. To memorize this level condition , press “ENTER”
6. LCD says “ZERO POINT STABILITY SUCCESSFULLY SET”
7. The control will then turn off.
8. Turn “ON/OFF” on to commence operation.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Mine is
Power Off
UP 10 time
Down 10 times
Then Enter when it says to

I see that's the same thing LOL

Is it cold there ? mine had done that before also just cold oil maybe but hasn't done it sense. Or Low Batteries
It also did some freaky stuff a few weeks ago at Jackson Rancharia. Almost a perfectly level pad. When I hit the Auto-level button it did it's front to rear thing then the left side came down like normal, then the right side touched down. then the right side just kept picking up the trailer all the way up off the ground then said error. I shut it off turned it back on and tried it again. Same thing 3 times in a row. Embarrassing with every one watching. I just manually leveled it.
I checked the level brain up front to make sure it was still mounded all was good. I pulled out the level and checked it for true level then calibrated it. On the following Monday I called Lippert to see what they say. He said he's never herd of this one before and to try re calibrate it.

avvidclif

It seems there is a discrepancy in the Owners Manual. First line on Zero Point Calibration from Pg 8 of the manual;
1. Turn "ON/OFF" button (Fig 1K) on.

I tried it. Amazing what happens when it's done correctly. Next will be to see what happens when it auto levels. Then maybe a master reset if it still doesn't operate correctly.

I went to Lippert's website and found a similar but different OM with the correct information????? I don't know where I got the one I have but it's gone.

Last edited:

avvidclif

A followup. Recalibrating the level didn't help a thing. It would level front to rear, show "Grounding rear jacks" for abt 1 sec and then declare it level. It was level as it was in my driveway but the rear jacks were not down. It has always run all the jacks down and leveled from there for stability.

I sent Lippert an e-mail outlining the problems I was having and how it was getting worse. After a few e-mails back and forth they sent me a new control box, gratis. I installed it today and all is well. I calibrated the level and then raised the rear jacks. I then raised the front. I pushed Auto-Level and it did it's dance and leveled itself correctly. Success.

Kudos to Lippert for standing behind their product even though it was out of warranty (2 months when it got to the point it wasn't right). Much better results than the first time on the phone when I got a TS notice. Maybe the first guy had a bad day????

avvidclif

Kinda interesting in that there is no physical damage to the board or corroded connections. The board itself is very well made and conformal coated for protection from the environment. The symptoms I saw point to a software glitch. Maybe it's not quite ready for prime time but the design itself is over 14 years old (per patent data). Time will tell..

jbeletti

Kinda interesting in that there is no physical damage to the board or corroded connections. The board itself is very well made and conformal coated for protection from the environment. The symptoms I saw point to a software glitch. Maybe it's not quite ready for prime time but the design itself is over 14 years old (per patent data). Time will tell..

I agree with your assessment of "software glitch". I doubt the code is buggy as it's quite mature and has been used 10s of thousands of times. My guess it that the code burned into the eprom has become corrupted from static or something.

I carry a spare brain as I replaced my OEM brain with one that allows for a remote control for my front jacks. Unsure if it would work every coach, but it may work most Heartland's that have 6 point leveling. My plan is to swap the OEM brain back in and take the replacement brain and remote with me for the next coach.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Good idea Jim I think I'll do the same thing and also carry the spair around with me in my box of tricks.
I think I'll get that remote system ordered today. I've been putting it off for a while now

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk