RESOLVED: Slam Latch door not staying shut

I took delivery of my 24RBS in a snow storm and missed the fact that my outside compartment door will not stay closed when locked. You can pull on it and it opens. I am going to put a couple washers under the closing side latch to fix the problem. My question is since there is a gasket on the bottom of that latch there will no longer be a seal. I was thinking of using sylicone to close the gap. Is that a good idea?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Slam LAtch door not staying shut

I was not aware that the North Trail came with slam latch doors. Could you post a picture of the latch in question?
I personally will not use silicone on anything. So I won't recommend that you use it to seal the door.
If you have the type of latch that I think you have you should be able to adjust the latch point on the frame.
Also those latches tend to bend pretty easy, so you may be a bend away from having the door stay shut.
Please try to post a picture or two of the problem.
What dealer did you purchase your NT from?

Peace
Dave

ChangingPlaces

We had a lock that came open. I adjusted the striker plate a bit and shaved a bit off as well. That worked well and has been secure since.
Cheers Paul

pegmikef

I was not aware that the North Trail came with slam latch doors. Peace
Dave

Dave, the NTs have had slam latch doors on the main storage compartment at least since 2010 when my old NT was made.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired

Try turning the striker plate around. The hole may be just offset enough to cause a problem.

Re: Slam Latch door not staying shut

I propped it up about 1/4 inch and it now latches. I just need to brace it better. I am going to run a bead of weather stripping calk around it to make sure it seals.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

What exactly is a "Slam Latch Door"?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

It's a door with the latches like the big buses have. Most of the bigger 5th wheels have them and they are also putting them on some Travel Trailer "brands" now.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

It's a door with the latches like the big buses have. Most of the bigger 5th wheels have them and they are also putting them on some Travel Trailer "brands" now.

I know that on the two entrance doors on our Trail Runner, I always pull the latch . . . close the door . . . and then release the latch to close and latch the doors and I think that just slamming the doors shut will over time damage the latches.

I guess that this is not the same thing as a 'Slam Latch Door''?

mbopp

Slam door latches come on the Caliber models IIRR. They're on the storage compartment doors.

olcoon

The slam latch doors are on storage compartments, and when open all the way, you just let go of the door & when it slams down, it latches closed.