Screen door doesn't latch shut

My wife & I just got a 2016 Mallard M 27. The front screen door won't latch shut without the inner door also being closed. The little slide bar doesn't extend far enough to connect with the door jam.

Anyone know an easy solution?

Thanks.

danemayer

If your latch is like mine, the left-to-right adjustment is made by loosening the screws in the highlighted area and pushing the assembly to the left. Or am I misunderstanding the problem?

screen door latch adjustment.jpg

HornedToad

Don't be lazy... like me,
and grab the screen door latch to shut the door
or it will eventually break... like mine.

Use the grab on the lock-set
or better yet add a screen door cross bar!!!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Or 2 screen door cross bars !!!!
After having both of them on there now for a while, it really make a world of difference. The bottom one is perfect for coming up the steps and also going down. When you get to the lower steps the top one is to high for DW. Then when you are up top the top one is perfect and the bottom one is to low. So having 2 has been the perfect setup.
fd59bc71908f7aef0da468f182c832a3.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ram_1955

I think I have the best solution for closing the door:cool: well it is my idea so of course it would be the best.

Oh back to the best solution
image.jpg image.jpg
I couldn't get my fingers between the door handle and the window frame so added a large cabinet handle as a pull.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 42

ram_1955

When the inside and outside doors are latched together the clear plastic plate is slid to the open position and the new handle keeps it open. When just the screen door is closed the new handle is out of the way.
Here are couple of more photos of it
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Installed the grab bar on the Big Horn and again on the Landmark. I refer to it as the Breaker Bar since some folks, not to be mentioned, use it to pull the whole door closed and in the Florida wind too. This results in the screen door latch busting the front plate which makes it unusable. Although these are made of brittle plastic, they are not cheap. What has anyone done to make this less likely to break; adjustment, reinforcement, replacement.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A local RV parts store should have them. They are most likely used on most RV's not just HL.

jimtoo

Installed the grab bar on the Big Horn and again on the Landmark. I refer to it as the Breaker Bar since some folks, not to be mentioned, use it to pull the whole door closed and in the Florida wind too. This results in the screen door latch busting the front plate which makes it unusable. Although these are made of brittle plastic, they are not cheap. What has anyone done to make this less likely to break; adjustment, reinforcement, replacement.

Hi hogan,

The same thing happened to me about 2 days after installing the "Breaker Bar". I had all the parts from the broken latch, so I found a thin piece of stiff steel, cut to size of outside of latch, drilled two holes to match plastic latch and put it back on the door with original screws from latch. Reinforced it and it works like new.

Jim M

NHCelt

Our dealer had to add a shim to the latch plate for our screen door to latch securely.
Our unit was not latching and we found that the screen doors hinges had been bent. They are easily straightened with a careful application of force.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Hi hogan,

The same thing happened to me about 2 days after installing the "Breaker Bar". I had all the parts from the broken latch, so I found a thin piece of stiff steel, cut to size of outside of latch, drilled two holes to match plastic latch and put it back on the door with original screws from latch. Reinforced it and it works like new.

Jim M[/QUOTE
Thanks Jim. I have done something similar so if that looks iffy, I will try you fix.
Hogan