RESOLVED: So disappointed... (ATS replaced)

hamangum

Im not typically one to complain but things happen and we move on. But we have 5 month old unit and it seems like every trip it's something else going wrong. We already have a list of issues from the factory that need to be resolved like cracked windows and windows that won't open, etc. Our unit must have been made on a Friday.
I could get past those issues as I know Heartland will stand behind their product and get it fixed as soon as I can get it to the shop.
Howver, there we use the unit, the more bigger more impact full issues arise. Like this weekend- camping on generator power in 95+heat and suddenly no power. Generator runs but no power to AC, plygs, nothing it's dead. My research makes me feel like our ATS went out. We'll that's all fine except it's a holiday weekend and we are not close to a major city to even get mobile service. Now, tomorrow is a holiday and doubtful is will be fixed then either. So much for our labor day weekend.
Again, if the were isolated, no big deal. However, this on top of all my other issues just makes me so frustrated. I truly thought I had done my homework and chose the best fifth wheel toy hauler on the market. Now, I must admit I'm doubting our decision.
Not really even sure why I'm posting here except hoping to hear if someone had same issues and that Heartland stepped up and got their unit back to new again. Because right now, I need a little encouragement. Thanks for listening.

danemayer

Re: So disappointed...

Hi hamangum,

Sorry about your problems. My transfer switch quit 2 winters ago - Saturday night, 5 pm, 10 degrees (F) headed below zero. Snow on I-70. No fun.

If you can get to a Lowes or Home Depot, look for Butt Splices that will handle #6 wire. If you're lucky enough to find them, you can temporarily splice the generator input wires to the output wires and run the generator.

Start the generator with the circuit breaker panel mains turned off. Let it run for 30 seconds before turning the mains ON.

As for the bigger picture, Heartland will certainly support your warranty issues. They depend on the dealer to do the work though, and depending on how good the dealer is and your relationship with the dealer, you can have a good or bad experience.

Many of us have used independent shops, with prior approval from Heartland. Independents make their living off of service and will generally be more concerned with doing good work. Heartland may be able to point you to an independent near you. On Tuesday, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

hamangum

That is good to know. Will they still warranty if we are able to do this temp fix?
Also, will it run off of shore power now? We aren't to shore power yet but thinking if I can find some that might get us through until Tuesday. Thanks for the info.

danemayer

Will it run off shore power? Maybe - depends what's wrong.

Will temporarily using butt splices affect warranty? I don't see how. The splices didn't cause the original failure and won't cause any damage to the wiring. BTW, if you use splices, you have to wrap them really well with electrical tape. There's a lot of power going through those wires. You don't want it conducted to the frame or something else in the RV.

Also, just occurred to me. Check the circuit breakers on the front of the generator. There are 2 breakers, one for each leg. The transfer switch won't operate unless it has 120V on L1. So if that breaker tripped for some reason, the transfer switch won't pass any power from the generator.

If the breakers are ok, with generator off and no shore power, you can open the transfer switch and inspect the connections from the generator. A loose wire could be responsible.

There's also a junction box at the generator where the genny wires connect to the wires going to the transfer switch. Loose wires there could also be a culprit.

hamangum

It's not the generator breakers. We checked that. Incidentally, we already had an electrical issue with the junction box the week we bought the unit. The wires weren't wrapped good and they arced off the metal box causing no electric that time as well.
I'm pretty sure it's ATS. Hopefully, we can do this temp fix or run off shore power tomorrow and get it fixed Tuesday. Tha ks

Will it run off shore power? Maybe - depends what's wrong.

Will temporarily using butt splices affect warranty? I don't see how. The splices didn't cause the original failure and won't cause any damage to the wiring. BTW, if you use splices, you have to wrap them really well with electrical tape. There's a lot of power going through those wires. You don't want it conducted to the frame or something else in the RV.

Also, just occurred to me. Check the circuit breakers on the front of the generator. There are 2 breakers, one for each leg. The transfer switch won't operate unless it has 120V on L1. So if that breaker tripped for some reason, the transfer switch won't pass any power from the generator.

If the breakers are ok, with generator off and no shore power, you can open the transfer switch and inspect the connections from the generator. A loose wire could be responsible.

There's also a junction box at the generator where the genny wires connect to the wires going to the transfer switch. Loose wires there could also be a culprit.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Sometimes the connector to wire it direct are called 'split bolts'. When our transfer switch went out we went to Home Depot and I asked for split bolts for the #6 wire and they fixed me up with them. They don't cost much either. Now with them you can wire direct to the AC or the genny depending on which you intend to use. Many have found loose connections in the the transfer switch that has caused them problems. Be sure to disconnect from all electric when fooling around in the transfer switch.

hamangum

I wanted to update everyone because I like to give praise where it is needed and not complain all the time. I called Heartland driectly and they worked it out with me. I was sent the transfer switch and had a local service guy install it. Problem solved. It just stinks that the problems arise at the worst of times.

Lynn1130

Murphy's Law and just remember that there is also Ryan's Law which states that Murphy was an optimist.