RESOLVED: Suspension Problem?

Domi

Hi,

We just bought a 2011 Northland 28RLS travel trailer used. We have been having a great time with it but have noticed that it seems to sit closer to the ground than a lot of other trailers. We have scrapped the rear stabilizers or bumper on a couple of occasions where there is a decent size dip that we have to go over (generally a corner or gutter). It barley clears the curb on the driveway when backing in also. I have not weighed it yet but we do not have much in it and usually care less than 20 gallons of water. I measured the trailer on the tow vehicle and found 19 inches to the lowest siding on the aft end and 22 inches on front. The stabilizers are 9 inches aft and 11.5 inches forward of clearance.

It came with electric stabilizers (I do not know the brand but can find out if it is important).

My question is does 9 inches of clearance seem low for a Northland TT? Is there anyplace I can find out what the factory specs are for this type of measurement?

I hate to take it to a shop and ask if I have a suspension problem, I think that might be asking for a big bill.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Domi

wrgrs50s

Re: Suspension Problem?

You can tell if the suspension is the problem by looking at the leaf springs where they attach to the axle. Each set of springs should be arched upward with the only flat area being where the axle plate is attached. If the springs look flattened out, you will need to take it to a spring and axle shop, not an RV dealer unless you want to wait forever and have money to burn.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

This is what flat springs look like (first two shots):

AxelRearDrivSide-IMG_3900.jpg FrontAxlePassSide-IMG_3906.jpg TireRub-IMG_3903.jpg TireRub-IMG_3898.jpg TireRub-IMG_3907.jpg TireRubBadGougedTireIMG_3911.jpg

These were taken of our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner . . .

The last four shots show where the trailer was bottoming out on the tires . . . look for this as well.

The axles were shot as well on this trailer, so all had to be replaced.

fritzwell

We've only had our 5th wheel for a few months and learn something new every time we use it, but looking at John D's first picture shouldn't the leaf springs be on the bottom side of the axle ? Could that not be the problem here ?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We've only had our 5th wheel for a few months and learn something new every time we use it, but looking at John D's first picture shouldn't the leaf springs be on the bottom side of the axle ? Could that not be the problem here ?
No that would make it alot worse

Sent from Jerrod's phone with Tape talk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Lowering the hitch 1" would make it level, but still not enough ground clearance. Do you have any adjustment holes on the spring hangers ? If so are they in the bottom hole?

Also if your axles are on top of your spring pack you can always flip them to the bottom and get about 4" to 6" more.

Do you have any pictures of your set up for us ?

Sent from Jerrod's phone with Tape talk

Last edited:

Domi

Thanks for all the great replies.

I would have attached some pictures of the springs but I cannot attach images (guess I am to new to the forums, or I can not find how to do it, at the bottom of the screen it says "You may not post attachments". ). For the most part I can convince myself they look okay but I am no expert (really have no experience with this type of thing).

Looking at JohnD's pictures I can say that we have a lot more clearance on the top of the tire. It is a good 3.5 to 4 inches from the tire to the bottom of the wheel well. There has been no rubbing at this time. Side note I did find a screw tip poking through right over one of the tires. I will have to cut that off before it potentially causes issues.

The springs are under the axles, I am not sure what the issues would be if they were flipped. The trailer handles very well right now and I would hate to raise the CG to high and causes other problems (4 inches at 6900 lbs is a lot of moment). It also has a "Wide Track Suspension" where the wheels are set very wide apart. I am not sure what what flipping the springs would do to that.

We found the following thread on the forums about NorthTrail's and this very issue. //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=40996&d=1423256640 Looks like a combination of low clearance and the electric stabilizers are the main issue. As long as the springs are good not sure what if anything can be done.

Thanks again for all the help. This is a great resource for new people.

Domi

Domi

Here are the pictures. Thanks for letting me add them.

Thanks again for the help

Domi

Attachments

• Passenger_Both.jpg
    Passenger_Both.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Passenger_Stablizer.jpg
    Passenger_Stablizer.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Driver_Rear.jpg
    Driver_Rear.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Driver_Front.jpg
    Driver_Front.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 95

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I can see you are on the lowest adjustment hole on the spring hanger are they all on the bottom hole ?

Sent from Jerrod's phone with Tapatalk

JohnD

You might look at upgrading to heaver duty springs . . .

I can give you the name of the shop that did the repair work on our old Trail Runner . . . those guys are awesome!

They are located at I-76 and Tennyson.

Before and after:

AxleRepairBefore-P5090649.jpg AxleRepairAfter-P5090654.jpg

This trailer dragged on everything . . . those drainage ditches at every intersection in Colorado . . . the curb in front of our house . . . pulling into parking lots . . .

I had to remove both front scissor jacks as they would drag on the ground when going over any kind of bump and the rear ones I was just getting ready to remove for the same reasons.

By the way . . . think about joining the Heartland Owners Club . . .

We had a rally at the Central City KOA about a month ago and we all had a blast!

We are having a meet & greet this Saturday down in Colorado Springs (here is a link to the info: https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...-CO-Colorado-Springs-10-24-2015-to-10-24-2015 )

There will be other meet & greets during the winter if you can't make this one.

It is free to join for the first year!

JanAndBill

Here are the pictures. Thanks for letting me add them.

Thanks again for the help

Domi

Hard to tell for sure from pictures but it looks like there's very little arch in the springs. I think I saw that you are not the original owner on the trailer, I'm wondering if someone might have changed out something and not replaced it with the correct part. I would take it to a trailer shop who deals in axles and springs. Rather than "flip" the axle, I would determine if the springs were either the wrong ones, or to weak for the load, and replace them accordingly. Check your equalizers also to be sure you have the right ones.

JohnD

Those are the factory springs . . . same ones that were on our Trail Runner.

I think that Domi should upgrade those springs to heavier duty springs with more leafs . . .

Probably around $400 bucks!

Domi

You might look at upgrading to heaver duty springs . . .

I can give you the name of the shop that did the repair work on our old Trail Runner . . . those guys are awesome!

They are located at I-76 and Tennyson.

Before and after:

View attachment 41021 View attachment 41022

This trailer dragged on everything . . . those drainage ditches at every intersection in Colorado . . . the curb in front of our house . . . pulling into parking lots . . .

I had to remove both front scissor jacks as they would drag on the ground when going over any kind of bump and the rear ones I was just getting ready to remove for the same reasons.

By the way . . . think about joining the Heartland Owners Club . . .

We had a rally at the Central City KOA about a month ago and we all had a blast!

We are having a meet & greet this Saturday down in Colorado Springs (here is a link to the info: https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...-CO-Colorado-Springs-10-24-2015-to-10-24-2015 )

There will be other meet & greets during the winter if you can't make this one.

It is free to join for the first year!

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like we should have it looked at and go from there.

JohnD, I would like the name of the shop and we will have them at least look at it. If you know what springs you used that would be great too.

We are part of the HOC and are planning on going to the meet and greet this weekend. Hope to see you there.

Thanks again for all the help. It is great to see a forum that people are so friendly and helpful for those of us who are new to all of this.

JohnD

Ooppsseeyy . . . didn't see the membership info earlier!

Welcome to the Club!

I'll PM you the info about the repair shop that did the work for us . . . and as I said earlier . . . they were awesome!

They will be doing any and all wheel bearing and axle work on our new trailer from now on . . . not our dealership!

Sorry I won't be able to meet you at the meet & greet . . . I can only make them when they have them at a rally or if they have it in the evenings as I work weekends.

Domi

We have resolved the problem at this point I think.

Took John D's advice and went to local trailer maker and had him look at the trailer. He found that there were 3500 lb axles under it, the 4 leaf springs were pretty flat and the tire were load range C (name plates says they should have been D's. I will know to look on the next trailer I get). Trailer sat with the stabilizers clearance of 11 inches forward and 9 inches aft. Max trailer wight is 6900 Lbs. Not a lot of safety margin for me at least.

Replaced them with 6000 lb axels, 6 leaf springs, load range E tires. We also flipped and put the springs on top of the axels for more clearance. Now the trailer sits with 14 inches forward and 17 inches aft.

We are still working on getting it level with the hitch but it is looking much better, and it tows better also.

Before and after pictures attached.

Thanks for all the help. Especially to JohnD for the recommendation.

DomiAfter_New_Running_Gear.jpgBefore_New_Running_Gear.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

All of that will make you feel a lot better rolling down the highway, knowing you now have more then enough capacity to handle whatever you put in it.
Glad to see you got it taken care of the right way.

Sent from Jerrod's phone with Tapatalk