Return Cyclone to King of the Road

gpshemi

Been looking at new toyhaulers. So we stopped in to the local dealer (General RV - the largest RV dealer in the US) who is selling Fuzion, Voltage, Impact, and the new Grand Design Momentum. I've said this before, but what attracted us to Cyclone back in 2010 was that Cyclone was certainly the Landmark of toyhaulers. What we found though was that everyone has stepped up thier game with design, accessories, and floorplans. Fuzion now holds its own with Cyclone, and frankly, Grand Deisgn surpasses them with the exception of limited floorplans still. Since they're new I'm sure that will come. Simple things like quiet air A/C and frameless windows seem like a no brainer to me. Fuzion had heavy solid core doors. Grand Design had real tile backsplash. One of them even had granite countertops. Not that I'd want those things necessarily These are the type of options that seperated Cyclone from the more run of the mill products like Raptor, Fuzion, and even Road Warrior.

To make matters worse, the dealer noted that they use to sell a boatload of Heartland products, but Heartland's resistance to warranty issues and repairs cost the dealership money to the point of dropping the line completely. BigHorn included.

While still a great coach I'm sure, I'm disappointed in Heartland's commitment to quality, customers, and effort to stay king of the road. It's time to return Cyclone to a preimum line

OEFVET

When I conducted my research into a toy hauler last year. Cyclone was clearly the best built all around. Not saying they are perfect but it was clearly built better then the other manufacturers. Just my opinion. I have no regrets.

gpshemi

Did you look at Grand Design's Momentum?

I'm not saying they're poor. I'm saying I'm disappointed.

Here's another silly thing Cyclone has been doing with new floorplans. Fuzion has released their version of the 4250, but like the 4200, Cyclone leaves it as "coming". How can that be smart for sales?

avvidclif

To make matters worse, the dealer noted that they use to sell a boatload of Heartland products, but Heartland's resistance to warranty issues and repairs cost the dealership money to the point of dropping the line completely. BigHorn included.

While still a great coach I'm sure, I'm disappointed in Heartland's commitment to quality, customers, and effort to stay king of the road. It's time to return Cyclone to a preimum line

From the multiple postings on here and my limited experience with Heartland warranty I would say the dealer you visited is spouting a line of BS.

We bought our 2011 Greystone from General RV, but am thinking they aren't selling Heartland anymore.
Wonder what the real reason is ?????

sengli

We recently were out shopping for a newer big horn, and ran into the same thing. General RV told us a similar story, and thats why they had dropped the big horn line. Their signs on the building still showed they were a dealer, but they didnt have a big horn unit on site anymore. They were pushing grand design big time as the "replacement" for this segment of their luxury fifth wheel lines.

tomsws6

Before we landed the 4200 we had a voltage 4000 waiting for us.. We also decided to look at the Grand Designs. The both were really plush and very nice. The Grand design was very luxurious even on there entry model toy haulers. But the dealers we say were not willing to work on the Grand Designs at all.. Heck, there 30ft single slide toy hauler was 80k! Voltage was very very nice and we almost bought a torque 396 the day before the cyclone(just couldnt deal with the single awning and manual leveling jacks... but amazing floor plan for the price) I actually preferred the 3300 floor plan as it was WIDE open but the kitchen and lack of rear bathroom killed it.. I always wanted the Fuzion but I just couldn't believe how heavy they were. Most of the 3 axle's had upwards of listed 3800pound pin weight and there was only one or two that we saw with a full size shower. Now personally, if we weren't going to be living in it for 6-8 monthsthat would have been fine but the dealer cut us an amazing deal and they were a pleasure to work with.. Sorry for the run-on sentences lol

OEFVET

Tom, looking at your signature picture, your truck appears to be squatting in the rear. Did you check to see if it's level? Any plans on airbags or helper springs?

tomsws6

Honestly it is squatting a few inches. I think the way I took the pic makes it worse than it was.That was the day we just picked it up and headed home from the dealer. I have airbags but only had them up to 60pds.. The next day I went to the scales and put 70pds and it was pretty much level. Ended up being 80pds with the camper on it. The front leveling kit I had on it doesnt help matters much either. And I see a new truck in my future.

Attachments

• 1430581736.jpg
    1430581736.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 122

OEFVET

The 4200 is in DRW domain. Just something to consider. Enjoy the 4200, we love ours. It's a great floor plan.

cdensomnia

We also looked at all the different brands but I have to say that the build quality starting out seemed better than the others. I second that the Grand Designs were amazing to look at but every floor plan we found some big things we didn't necessarily care for. We settled on the 4200 as we felt you got the biggest bang for your buck and just about all the amenities.

I do wish however Cyclone would go with frame-less windows or at least give the option. Those really dress the trailer up but I completely understand the reason they don't...until someone can design a frame-less window that actually lets air in the coach. I also wish Cyclone would have started using the lighting systems like in the motor-homes. That would be pretty cool and convenient.

gpshemi

From the multiple postings on here and my limited experience with Heartland warranty I would say the dealer you visited is spouting a line of BS.

Not really. I'm running into it more and more and the Heartland Brand is gone from their offerings.

I think traditionally you're right, it's been very true, but I think there's been a loss in step in Heartland. In hind sight this coincides with Heartland being acquired. I recall hearing, probably even saying, that nothing would change, but it appears it has. Frankly, any manufacturing company loosing the largest seller of their products in the nation is not being responsive enough plain and simple.

...Grand Designs were amazing to look at but every floor plan we found some big things we didn't necessarily care for.

...and a person always will.

I do wish however Cyclone would go with frame-less windows or at least give the option. Those really dress the trailer up but I completely understand the reason they don't...until someone can design a frame-less window that actually lets air in the coach. I also wish Cyclone would have started using the lighting systems like in the motor-homes. That would be pretty cool and convenient.

For many of us though it doesn't matter. I don't really care if they open up as big as framed windows. They still provide a decent cross breeze in moderate weather. Any more than that and I turn on the A/C anyway. It's the many top of the line features I'm talking about though. Not just the construction that people are referencing.

- LED can lighting you mentioned
- Frame-less windows.
- MOR/ryde's patio deck rail rather than cheap (poorly) welded tubing
- MOR/ryde's patio stair case
- Quiet A/C system (duct-ed like motor-homes)
- 80/20 sink
- Solid core doors
- outdoor entertainment nook
- outdoor kitchen options (get creative here)
- Lippert aluminum power steps
- how about this no brainer!...G rated tires / rims stock

The list goes on and on. These things are available on Fuzion or Grand Design and is should be on there to make (or keep) Cyclone king of the road. Otherwise, shop for a Road Warrior / Torque.

gpshemi

Ok. Went to a Cyclone/Road Warrior/Torque dealer yesterday. Much of what I said seem to hold true still, but some thing have changed for 2016. I'm told they have the Quiet Air now. They all had led can lights too. The rest is still true. There were some obvious quality issues too. Pics to follow.

Stopped into an XLR to review frameless windows. They must open 8"wide. They had a great breeze through them too. I think if you analyze the net free air when open you'd find its as much as a slider. So I debunked that they flow poorly. Also one advantage over the sliding windows is you could leave them open in the rain without worry. So getting caught while gone is no longer a concern.

The Cyclone 4200 is just ok in my book. The sink is awkard as ****. The kitchen blocks part of the door wall. The unit looked to be falling spart. I'll assume the dealer will repair of course but not a good showing.

The Road Warrior 420 was sweet. Its better done than the 4200 with the same side patio idea. Huge picture windows out both sides wad amazingly open. However, once again Heartland missed the boat on quality. The cabinet door color was so far remove from the base color that my 8yr old pointed it out. I cant make this stuff up. The cabinets were mounted crooked as a dogs hind leg too.

gpshemi

2015 Cyclone:
Plug missing and squirrel chewed the opening out for it I think,
Bowed slide trim and the other side was nailed on crooked,
Slide trim gone,

2016 Road Warrior:
Cabinet colors don't match (picture doesn't do it justice), and it's mounted crooked by a 1/2"

Attachments

• RW mismatch.jpg
    RW mismatch.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 106
  • trim.jpg
    trim.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 103
  • bowed trim.jpg
    bowed trim.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 20150516_150806 (Medium).jpg
    20150516_150806 (Medium).jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 97
  • plug OA.jpg
    plug OA.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 114

ADIRKS30

I have a Cyclone 3100 that I am currently selling. A local dealer just dropped all Heartland lines for this same warranty issue. They wouldn`t even think about fixing mine, they said they wouldn`t get their money for doing it. I am getting it fixed hopefully yet by a different dealer, just saying that there is that thought out there.

gpshemi

Been a huge fan, and member, for 6-7yrs now. Just not impressed like I was the first time around. They've ***** out the Cyclone name I think to turn them over. It should be the Landmark of toyhaulers...

Last edited by a moderator:

MTPockets

I would think a dealer would want the line(s) that bring him the highest profit. Also, he certainly won't praise the brands he doesn't have. Maybe Heartland dropped them?

tomsws6

2015 Cyclone:
Plug missing and squirrel chewed the opening out for it I think,
Bowed slide trim and the other side was nailed on crooked,
Slide trim gone,

2016 Road Warrior:
Cabinet colors don't match (picture doesn't do it justice), and it's mounted crooked by a 1/2"

WOW, Ill be honest that seems pretty awful.. We don't have any issues like that at all. The only cosmetic issue we have is on the wall next to the fridge were the last recliner rides against the trim tape had started to snag on the recliner pulling it off the wall. We simply straightened it out and placed it back and the issue hasn't returned yet. It will but its ok for now. I will say the A/C's are freakin loud in the living room and you have to turn the tv up almost all the way just to be able to hear it.