RM 1350 Ice Maker Not Working

Barry Crocker

Good morning all!
We were going away for a few days so I shut off the water to the Grand Canyon but forgot to shutdown the ice maker. Came back and now the ice maker won't work. I did defrost the freezer but that didn't help. I suspect that the tube is frozen. How can I fix that?
Thanks in advance!

danemayer

Hi Barry,

If outside temps dropped below freezing, and there was water in the icemaker waterline going to the frig, it may be damaged and leaking. You need to inspect for leaks immediately. Many Landmarks have the cutoff valve behind the UDC, accessed by removing the basement wall by the UDC.

You may also have damage to the icemaker solenoid on the back of the frig. The solenoid triggers to feed water into the icemaker. If temps go below freezing, there's a little water in the solenoid that will freeze, cracking the solenoid and creating another source of water leaks.

If nothing else, you should cut off the icemaker water supply immediately to prevent damage to your coach from possible leaks.

Barry Crocker

It didn't freeze outside. There are no leaks. Could the line freeze inside the freezer? I have heard of it freezing on home units before. Help! My bourbon need some ice.

danemayer

It didn't freeze outside. There are no leaks. Could the line freeze inside the freezer? I have heard of it freezing on home units before. Help! My bourbon need some ice.

On my unit, the icemaker waterline goes from the solenoid, up to the front side of the frig, where it's attached to a fitting that goes through the freezer wall. If it wasn't freezing outside, I don't see why the water line would have frozen. It's conceivable that there's an ice plug in the plastic fitting that enters the freezer. If you drop the icemaker (loosen 2 screws and remove the other 2), you should be able to inspect the fitting where the water enters.

The RM1350 manual includes a winterizing procedure that includes instructions on manually starting the icemaker operation. You could try this to verify the icemaker is operating and if someone else observes the solenoid when you trigger the operation, you'll know if it activated.

There are some fuses on the back of the frig that control power to the solenoid. If the solenoid doesn't activate, or the icemaker manual start doesn't work, you should check for a blown fuse.

And of course, all of this assumes that the frig is operating normally and the icemaker bail is in the down position.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One thing not mentioned is be sure the water supply line valve is turned on.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Barry Crocker

On my unit, the icemaker waterline goes from the solenoid, up to the front side of the frig, where it's attached to a fitting that goes through the freezer wall. If it wasn't freezing outside, I don't see why the water line would have frozen. It's conceivable that there's an ice plug in the plastic fitting that enters the freezer. If you drop the icemaker (loosen 2 screws and remove the other 2), you should be able to inspect the fitting where the water enters.

The RM1350 manual includes a winterizing procedure that includes instructions on manually starting the icemaker operation. You could try this to verify the icemaker is operating and if someone else observes the solenoid when you trigger the operation, you'll know if it activated.

There are some fuses on the back of the frig that control power to the solenoid. If the solenoid doesn't activate, or the icemaker manual start doesn't work, you should check for a blown fuse.

And of course, all of this assumes that the frig is operating normally and the icemaker bail is in the down position.

Thanks Dan. I'll give all that a try.
Barry

Barry Crocker

Good morning all!
We were going away for a few days so I shut off the water to the Grand Canyon but forgot to shutdown the ice maker. Came back and now the ice maker won't work. I did defrost the freezer but that didn't help. I suspect that the tube is frozen. How can I fix that?
Thanks in advance!

Motor frozen up solid. New one on order.