RM3962 therma thing placement

Bobby A

The white wire fell off of the white plastic thing that goes on the fins for temps. Don't know how it is suppose to attach to the white plastic peace. Need some help hear, pics would be helpful as always. Sorry, I can't remember the termology is for the white wire, I know it something like a thermostat ??? Thanks, Bobby A

fljlcw

if your talking about you refridgerator just push the wire back in the plastic thing and slide back on fin the higher up on the fin the colder frige will be or vice versa cant remember for sure. Fred

Bobby A

if your talking about you refridgerator just push the wire back in the plastic thing and slide back on fin the higher up on the fin the colder frige will be or vice versa cant remember for sure. Fred

Thanks Fred, Does anybody remember for sure if pushing the white peace on the fins up for cooler ?? We had to do a quick defrost yesterday afternoon, the fridg has been on all night cooling and its still only at 40 degrees. It has been very HOT and humid hear in MI. the last 4 or 5 days or so, maybe that's why it won't cool. My normal setting is on number 4 and it stays around mid 30's. Right now its on number 5 and its at 40 degrees. Thanks everyone, Bobby A

olcoon

Ours doesn't have an external thermostat, so if we want the fridge to be colder, we push the thermister (sp?) up, & if we want it to be warmer, we push it down. Also, we had issues a couple of years ago with the fridge not cooling below 40 degrees about three years ago. I was putting the refreezable things in the fridge during the day, & refreezing them at night. The heat index was about 110. When we got home I had it checked out & they said everything was working correctly. The fridge needs to have air circulation in the back, which it had. I had them install a fan in the rear of the fridge, & haven't had any problems since. However we also haven't camped when it has been that hot since then either. We've spent the last 2 summers in the mountains. This summer will tell the story. According to a seminar I attended at a national Heartland rally, they said that for proper air circulation, not to pack your fridge like you do at home. They are different cooling systems & also to use a fan inside the fridge to circulate the air, like one of the battery operated ones, or there has been a recent thread on here about one you can get that is mounted on the fins inside the fridge that is hooked up to the light inside the fridge & people seem happy with it.
Hope this helps!

Bobby A

Ours doesn't have an external thermostat, so if we want the fridge to be colder, we push the thermister (sp?) up, & if we want it to be warmer, we push it down. Also, we had issues a couple of years ago with the fridge not cooling below 40 degrees about three years ago. I was putting the refreezable things in the fridge during the day, & refreezing them at night. The heat index was about 110. When we got home I had it checked out & they said everything was working correctly. The fridge needs to have air circulation in the back, which it had. I had them install a fan in the rear of the fridge, & haven't had any problems since. However we also haven't camped when it has been that hot since then either. We've spent the last 2 summers in the mountains. This summer will tell the story. According to a seminar I attended at a national Heartland rally, they said that for proper air circulation, not to pack your fridge like you do at home. They are different cooling systems & also to use a fan inside the fridge to circulate the air, like one of the battery operated ones, or there has been a recent thread on here about one you can get that is mounted on the fins inside the fridge that is hooked up to the light inside the fridge & people seem happy with it.
Hope this helps!

O.K. thanks, up it will go !!!!

traveler44

My thermistor fell out of the plastic bracket while cleaning the fridge just before the Goshen rally. When I installed it into the plastic clip and hooked it on to the outside fin it didn't make contact enough to get the fridge cooling. So I removed it from the outside fin and installed it between the last two fins where it is tighter against a fin now. It has been working great ever since then. When it is tight enough against the fin the temperature will start changing, and getting cooler right away. Maybe I don't have mine in the plastic clip the way it is supposed to be but at least it works good again. Tom

Rickhansen

When I installed it into the plastic clip and hooked it on to the outside fin it didn't make contact enough to get the fridge cooling. So I removed it from the outside fin and installed it between the last two fins where it is tighter against a fin now. It has been working great ever since then. When it is tight enough against the fin the temperature will start changing, and getting cooler right away. Tom

Traveler44 (Tom),
I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm confused by your post and what you saw.

The thermistor is a temperature sensor and the plastic clip is just a means to hold it in air inside the refrigerator. The refrigerator controls have an operating setpoint. When the air is warmer than the setpoint, turn on the cooling; when the air is colder than the setpoint, turn off the cooling. Right so far?

When the cooling is operating, it moves heat from inside the box (via the aluminum fins) to the outside air, making the fins colder. That's why they condense water and eventually get ice on them. Remember, hot and cold aren't two different conditions, there is only heat and less heat.

Aside from ability to change the setpoint on the brow, the thermistor can be moved up or down on the fin to trick the sensed temperature. Since warm air rises, the higher in the fridge that the thermistor is placed, the warmer air it will feel. This turns the cooling circuit on earlier, causing the fridge to operate a cooler temperature, and vice-versa. I assume putting the thermistor between two fins should make it "feel" colder, turning the cooling off sooner.

The clip and thermistor is not intended to sense and control the temperature of the cooling fin, but the air inside the box. Direct contact of the thermistor to the fin is a bad thing, as the fin will be colder than the air inside the box anytime the refrigerator is working.

I know I'm being anal retentive and intend no criticism in your post. I'm only puzzled and pondering your observation over a cup of coffee and can't get my head around it. Bottom line is two things; One - that if works, don't fix it. Two - I don't understand how your remedy brought the result that it did. It should have worked the opposite, if anything.

I've always been up for a good puzzle. If you can shed any other light, please share.

traveler44

I really don't know why it worked that way for me. All I know is that it wouldn't cool until I moved the clip and the thermistor between the fins and then it started cooling like it should. I'm no expert but like I said what works is good enough for me and I thought that if somebody else is having the same problem they might try that too. Tom