Roof repair being suggested

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your roof looks fine to me.
Although there are some cracks in the sealant around the vents, you have to remember that there is also a bead of butyl caulk underneath the lip to help with sealing.
I would just clean everything really good and apply Dicor self leveling lap sealant.
It looks like the last person to re-caulk did not use self leveling caulk.

Peace
Dave

jerryjay11

Your roof looks fine to me.
Although there are some cracks in the sealant around the vents, you have to remember that there is also a bead of butyl caulk underneath the lip to help with sealing.
I would just clean everything really good and apply Dicor self leveling lap sealant.
It looks like the last person to re-caulk did not use self leveling caulk.

Peace
Dave
Actually that's exactly what the self-leveling lap sealant looked like when I applied it. It doesn't truly level flat as it sounds, but you it does settle down after applying. It you attempted to use this on a window seal it would drip all the way to the ground. And yes it was Dicor self-leveling lap sealant and I've used it several times on the camper.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You might need to cut the plastic nozzle to allow for a thicker bead.
I've used it several times and you need to use plenty of it along with a little zig zag in order for it to "self level".
Also it does have a shelf life so be sure that what you use is not beyond it's expiration date.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
From the looks of it, whoever did the “recaulk” didn’t have a clue of how to do it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

From the looks of it, whoever did the “recaulk” didn’t have a clue of how to do it correctly.

That was my though too. I am no expert but my sealing jobs look much smoother than that.

carl.swoyer

We have a 2016 Bighorn 3570RS. We try to have it maintained properly, but we may have missed something.
At Camping World service last week, we took the RV to get everything tip top for a long summer trip this year to Alaska.
I received this portion of an email from the service advisor yesterday"
"Looks like you will need a complete roof peel and seal due to deteriorated roof sealant; tech will need to scrape off the old and apply new self-leveling sealant. This estimate alone is $1,750.00"
What does she mean? Did we miss some annual maintenance to cause this deterioration? Should we do this?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
I personally wouldn't trust camping world to do anything.
I suggest you purchase they self leveling sealeant and denatured alcohol and do it yourself. You can Google the correct procedure. It's not hard.
I've done it before.
Camping Worlds is a bunch of money hungry employees.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Pizzaguy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I thought when I saw those pictures also. Watch some youtube videos, get the supplies and clean up the areas that need to be fixed before applying new sealant. You can do it yourself for well under $100.00 with a little elbow grease. If you do not have time or are uncomfortable doing it, take it to a reputable dealer or call a mobile tech. Either way, get it out of Camping World!

rhodies1

I totally agree with everyone’s comments,what in the He?? have they done during the past 2 caulk jobs,they didn’t even use a tube of caulking on the whole roof.Get it out of there and find a reputable dealer or mobile tech or even some other camper to give you a hand.Clean up the existing caulk with alcohol and re- caulk. You do not need to remove the old caulk. Pick up 3 tubes and do yourself, CW should be ashamed ,they are trying to screw you.

Graz160

Unbelievable the reply I just received from the service advisor at CW.
[FONT=&quot]We can’t put a warranty on that. I just checked with my service manager on doing another spot seal over the 2-year-old sealant. The sealant up there is porous and cracking, and the new sealant will most likely not adhere to the old. We would not be able to perform another spot seal. It would be a waste of your money when it doesn’t adhere.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Unbelievable!

Plus I spoke to Dicor this morning and showed them the pictures. They stressed the importance of the factory installed layer. It is thick and the basis for the LIFE of the coach. They said it would have to be half-peeled on it's own for me to even think about peeling it. And even then, there are better ways of fixing the problem. They have original Dicor on RV's that are decades old.

This forum has given me the confidence to go get my RV and take it elsewhere.

Thank you.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unbelievable the reply I just received from the service advisor at CW.
[FONT=&quot]We can’t put a warranty on that. I just checked with my service manager on doing another spot seal over the 2-year-old sealant. The sealant up there is porous and cracking, and the new sealant will most likely not adhere to the old. We would not be able to perform another spot seal. It would be a waste of your money when it doesn’t adhere.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Unbelievable!

Plus I spoke to Dicor this morning and showed them the pictures. They stressed the importance of the factory installed layer. It is thick and the basis for the LIFE of the coach. They said it would have to be half-peeled on it's own for me to even think about peeling it. And even then, there are better ways of fixing the problem. They have original Dicor on RV's that are decades old.

This forum has given me the confidence to go get my RV and take it elsewhere.

Thank you.

CW must think because some of us RV owners are a little long in the tooth that our brains have been addled with age, making us ripe for the raping.

jerryjay11

I'm sure CW corporate in general isn't to blame as that doesn't make sense for CW to be in business all these years and more BBB complaints would be filed. Instead I would think it is the few that have poor management that hurt the company name. I doubt that manager actually got up on that roof to see what was going on and just decided it was a $1500 bill with profit to be made so let's take advantage of a customer with little knowledge. So glad you call Dicor. They are very professional and helpful.

Lynn1130

You might want to go back and read the complaints here, alone, about CW. From all I have read, I won't do business at any one of them.

jerryjay11

You might want to go back and read the complaints here, alone, about CW. From all I have read, I won't do business at any one of them.

I have read and take most with a grain of salt. Been in the service world for most of my life and most often find folks misunderstand, exaggerate, or just puff their case
to make them sound better. That's not to say everyone that has had issues with CW don't have a legit complaint. It's just the volume of issues compared to the volume of CW (or any entity) service that occur that I look at.

Then there is the fact satisfied customers don't usually post on forums their satisfaction if even they are online at all. I keep in mind that there are many thousands of CW customers that I don't see posting here so I will keep an open mind on this subject.

jerryjay11

As I said, read the complaints on this site. I don't think you will find them "exaggerated or puff(ed)".

And try this site, there are a number of reviews here which gives an idea of which ones might be trusted: http://www.rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?Submit=GO&search=Camping+World

That was very interesting though I saw many comments that were as old as 11 years for CW. Still not enough to convince me that every CW provides poor service when I see many with only one complaint a year within a couple years apart and many with a complaint 2, 3, 4, plus years apart. With the volume they serve I guess they will screw up and it will look worst because they are a national company. Looking at some of the other servicers I found their service was rated poor 12 years ago. Should I use that as a determining factor for that RV servicer? I think not. I wouldn't look back more than 2 or 3 years and decide where to take my RV for service. I am sure those that have had poor service are much like you and me. We take pride in top quality work and expect that from others. We are very particular about our RV's (Big Boy Toys) and no one else can please me 100% all the time.

I will admit I too am not 100% satisfied with my CW dealer's service department. Looking at their reviews (6) only one is rated poor. The rest are Excellent and dated from 2004 to 2006, nothing recent. Not a valid source of information for me. I would recommend anyone using this as a source to determine a worthy servicer to read the heading "Important Information" and understand this is not all inclusive.

As I stated I expect more and very particular with my RV (Big Boy Toys) like my 2005 Triton TR21DC Bass, Go Fast fishing boat.

I am going to save that rvservicerreviews link for some good reading to pass the time. Remember the quote about opinions...

danemayer

That was very interesting though I saw many comments that were as old as 11 years for CW. Still not enough to convince me that every CW provides poor service when I see many with only one complaint a year within a couple years apart and many with a complaint 2, 3, 4, plus years apart. With the volume they serve I guess they will screw up and it will look worst because they are a national company. Looking at some of the other servicers I found their service was rated poor 12 years ago. Should I use that as a determining factor for that RV servicer? I think not. I wouldn't look back more than 2 or 3 years and decide where to take my RV for service. I am sure those that have had poor service are much like you and me. We take pride in top quality work and expect that from others. We are very particular about our RV's (Big Boy Toys) and no one else can please me 100% all the time.

I will admit I too am not 100% satisfied with my CW dealer's service department. Looking at their reviews (6) only one is rated poor. The rest are Excellent and dated from 2004 to 2006, nothing recent. Not a valid source of information for me. I would recommend anyone using this as a source to determine a worthy servicer to read the heading "Important Information" and understand this is not all inclusive.

As I stated I expect more and very particular with my RV (Big Boy Toys) like my 2005 Triton TR21DC Bass, Go Fast fishing boat.

I am going to save that rvservicerreviews link for some good reading to pass the time. Remember the quote about opinions...

If you continue using Camping World for service, please be sure to let us know how things go; good or bad.

wdk450

You know you were kind of critical about how old some of the reviews on RVServiceReviews are. You should therefore make a self-commitment to POST your RV service experiences there for the benefit of other RVers, and make the site better.

jerryjay11

You know you were kind of critical about how old some of the reviews on RVServiceReviews are. You should therefore make a self-commitment to POST your RV service experiences there for the benefit of other RVers, and make the site better.
Critical? Nah! Just stating a fact how the validity of using a one sided, dated forum isn't all inclusive of all the facts. The other side would be the RV servicer rebute. Who's to say the RV servicer didn't resolve many of these issues and the OP just didn't bother to post. If folks want to participate in review forum that may or may not be used in an up to date fashion, that's up to them. For me I don't rely on them. I don't participate in them.