Roof Vent Left Open by Dealer

rlkubi

We bought a 2010 Heartland North Trail from a dealer and they delivered for us yesterday to a place we camp all the time and store it. We got a call from their security person saying that the roof vent was open. It has rained here for over a day. :(. So last night we had to make the two hour drive and wipe up the water with towels and close the vent. The mattress was soaked. Now I'm not sure how long it was open while on their lot before it was delivered. Should I worry about the floor getting soft? The water was into the bathroom too.

Thanks!

jbeletti

I'd say if you got it wiped up good and better yet, if you put a fan on the floor, the flooring will be fine. What may not be fine is the small trim at floor level. Usually this is a vinyl wrapped "wood-product". It soaks up liquid and expands. You'll know in a few days if you have a problem with that. That sort of thing is easily replaceable.

I'd be more worried about a water soaked mattress. No experience with that but for sure, you'd need to get it thoroughly dried out and fast.

It's of no consolation, but something to consider adding is a vent cover that allows for vent operation in the rain. We have them on our 2 vents and it's nice to be able to open the bathroom vent while showering, regardless of the weather. And I'm a stickler for getting the condensation from showering out of the coach in real-time.

Buckeye

Jim, Vent cover is a good idea. I purchased and installed one in my new Elkridge last week. It is being stored in SC and they recommend you leave the vent open slightly in storage to let the heat out in the summer months.

Lynn1130

This would seem to be an issue for the dealer to correct rather that the new owner having to go through all of the hoops of cleanup and replacement/repair.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This would seem to be an issue for the dealer to correct rather that the new owner having to go through all of the hoops of cleanup and replacement/repair.

I'd agree with this, but good luck with it. But, the vent covers are a must have, even on the Fantastic Fan (unless you like it not running during a rain). They are a simple DIY project.

dfk009

Had the same thing happen several years ago on our 2005 5th wheel at a dealer at Jackson, MO. Luck had it, that the bedding was just cleaned and piled on the mattress under the vent. Rewashed the bedding, and took mattress out to dry. Then ordered our 2012 at another dealer. Poor dealer service drove us away from the first dealer.

wdk450

You know this might have happened on the road getting to the campground. I have to put a small bungee cord on my bathroom vent crank before I travel, otherwise the trailer vibration and the airflow vacuum going over the roof will crank it open every time.

FiremanBill

You know this might have happened on the road getting to the campground. I have to put a small bungee cord on my bathroom vent crank before I travel, otherwise the trailer vibration and the airflow vacuum going over the roof will crank it open every time.

Possible. My last rig, a '05 Trail Vision would do that with the front bedroom window. If I didn't have it really cinched down hard it would crank itself all the way open going down the road. It happened a couple of times but fortunately never in the rain.

I sure do NOT miss that old trailer:)

rlkubi

I called the dealer and they were very apologetic. They have agreed to replace the mattress. We are going this weekend and will bring our dehumidifier and hopefully that will help.

jbeletti

I called the dealer and they were very apologetic. They have agreed to replace the mattress. We are going this weekend and will bring our dehumidifier and hopefully that will help.

That's great news. By this weekend, you should know if any of the trim will need to be replaced. If so, it's a real easy thing to do. If the dealer can't come out to do it, if you have a brad nailer and they can get you the trim and a matching putty stick, you can cut it with a utility knife, shoot it on and putty the brad nail holes.

rlkubi

Also what is a good vent cover that you would recommend? How hard are they to install? Does it damage the roof installing them?

Thanks for all your comments. I agree - when I called the dealer I was ready to argue if needed. I just explained the situation and how disappointed I was and they were fantastic.

Sandpirate69

Most roof vents just require 4 holes for the mounting brackets. I use the roof vents that have removable pins so that they can be cleaned inside. I would like to know what mattress you finally choose. We've been looking at the Sleepnumber, but don't know how good it really is.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Most roof vents just require 4 holes for the mounting brackets. I use the roof vents that have removable pins so that they can be cleaned inside. I would like to know what mattress you finally choose. We've been looking at the Sleepnumber, but don't know how good it really is.

For what it's worth, we love our Sleep Number bed. It's the Camping World Select Comfort Version which compares to the older 4000 series sleep nimber mattress. We added a 2 inch foam topper inside the mattress cover recently for a bit more cushion on top of the air bladder.
Demo's available at the Williston, Hilton Head and Waynesville rallies.:cool:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
For what it's worth, we love our Sleep Number bed. It's the Camping World Select Comfort Version which compares to the older 4000 series sleep nimber mattress. We added a 2 inch foam topper inside the mattress cover recently for a bit more cushion on top of the air bladder.
Demo's available at the Williston, Hilton Head and Waynesville rallies.:cool:

We love our sleep number bed, too. We have the basic version. It has one wireless remote, but no memory functions, and no fancy pillow top. We added a 1.5" memory foam topper that we already had, it really makes it perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlkubi

We are going camping this weekend so we can check out if there is any damage. Is there anything specific we should look for?

Also, the dealer has been great. They sent us a check for the mattress and we upgraded.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We are going camping this weekend so we can check out if there is any damage. Is there anything specific we should look for?

Also, the dealer has been great. They sent us a check for the mattress and we upgraded.

Good to hear the dealer stepped up. Enjoy your weekend!

jbeletti

If you have or can borrow one, take a portable dehumidifier with you and run it over the weekend with the doors and windows shut.

That said,