Rusty Mor Ryde IS :(

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We had IS installed immediately after our Landmark was built in December 2012. Starting noticing within a few months that all the metal installed by Mor Ryde has completely rusted while the rest of the frame is fine.

Checked with the transport driver and it was never drive through snow by him or us and has never been to the beach, etc. Has anyone else experienced this?

Taking pics and will call Mor Ryde in the morning....looks like it was never powder coated? ?

MrRvGypsy

Opposite condition with our unit. The 5vers exposed I-beam frame at the front of our unit is rusting and looking crappy while the IS steel members looks nice and black still. Going to wire brush and paint the exposed frame members before winter

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Opposite condition with our unit. The 5vers exposed I-beam frame at the front of our unit is rusting and looking crappy while the IS steel members looks nice and black still. Going to wire brush and paint the exposed frame members before winter

Our IS is fine but the Mor-Ryde pinbox is rusting. This our second one and they have both rusted. They replaced the first one (on our previous Landmark) but it rusted also.

wdk450

Hmmmm:
The poster with the badly rusted MorRyde IS is from (warm, dry) Texas, and the poster with the non-rusted MorRyde IS (but rusted frame members) is from (snowy, wet) Ontario, Canada. A little more of a claim for the Texas guy???

porthole

Retired
We had IS installed immediately after our Landmark was built in December 2012. Starting noticing within a few months that all the metal installed by Mor Ryde has completely rusted while the rest of the frame is fine.

Checked with the transport driver and it was never drive through snow by him or us and has never been to the beach, etc. Has anyone else experienced this?

Taking pics and will call Mor Ryde in the morning....looks like it was never powder coated? ?

Pics so we all can compare?

Bohemian

As a general rule, chemical reaction rates, like rusting, double with each 10F increase in temperature.

kakampers

Hmmmm:
The poster with the badly rusted MorRyde IS is from (warm, dry) Texas, and the poster with the non-rusted MorRyde IS (but rusted frame members) is from (snowy, wet) Ontario, Canada. A little more of a claim for the Texas guy???

What exactly is your question, Bill?

Bohemian

Ok...but why is only the IS rusted...while the frame has virtually none?

Factors other than temperature that affect rusting

• Grade of steel usedPart cleaning before protection
  • Quality of rust protectantQuality of application
  • Quality of paint or finishQuality of application
  • Handling and modification of parts and how they are rust protected on assembly and/or installment.
  • Damage to parts etc etc.

Temperature is only one factor, but the south of the U.S.A. is warmer than the north of the U.S.A. thus parts that ARE rusting will rust faster in the south.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
This is shocking. From all the accolades I've heard on this forum, I thought the MorRyde IS was gold standard in fifth wheel suspension. Trace

jnbhobe

I will have to look at mine tomorrow when I go to the shop, but I don't remember any rust any where.

kakampers

I thought all they used on the steel they weld in is a spray can.

Don't know...we were not there when it was installed. However, it was definitely black when it arrived at the dealer...started noticing the rust after a few months. Now, it is completely rusted. Still works perfectly but not happy about the condition of the metal.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Ken and Kathy, let me know what MorRyde tells you. Mine is showing rust, not a concern now, but over time I would have to address it. I was there at installation. I am sure the components were NOT powder coated, however they were painted. Trying to add photo taken a few months ago when I had new tires installed.

Attachments

• 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 91