Safety Inspections... Fellow Texans

pegmikef

Yep, as a Texas resident I am about to get mine reinspected. I get it inspected at a place that makes and sells custom livestock and cargo trailers. They told me last year that the only time they have heard of them being checked was in conjunction with accidents. My granddaughter's father works in and sells chemicals in the oil fields and he gets stopped all the time and they always check his inspection sticker . . . granted, not an RV, but it shows that DPS is aware. Cheap insurance.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Point taken on RVers not being commercial vehicles. I was quoting from the commercial handbook. Below is the quote from the California Vehicle Code.

Towing – A RV is permitted to tow a trailer or other vehicle, but shall adhere to the following laws:
  • Speed: 22406(b) CVC states a RV towing a trailer or other vehicle shall not travel at a speed greater than 55 miles-per-hour
  • Designated Lanes: 21655(b) CVC states a RV towing a trailer or other vehicle shall drive in the right lane, unless passing, preparing to make a turn or while entering or exiting a highway. When a highway has four or more lanes, a RV towing a trailer or other vehicle shall use the two right lanes.

I think I would still argue (even to a Judge) that if it is stated in the Commercial Vehicle Laws it pertains to commercial vehicles and not privately owned non-commercial vehicles. If it pertains to non-commercial RVs then it would state that in the non-commercial vehicle laws. But on the other hand California has some legal ways of doing things which are not normal.

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
My bad for mentioning the Commercial Vehicle Handbook as my source. 22406(b) CVC is in the general speed laws section of the California Vehicle Code and applies to ALL vehicles. As for doing things that are not normal, why do you think we left. Born and raised there and worked 30 years in law enforcement. Couldn't stand the chaos anymore.

Sandpirate69

Point taken on RVers not being commercial vehicles. I was quoting from the commercial handbook. Below is the quote from the California Vehicle Code.

Towing – A RV is permitted to tow a trailer or other vehicle, but shall adhere to the following laws:
  • Speed: 22406(b) CVC states a RV towing a trailer or other vehicle shall not travel at a speed greater than 55 miles-per-hour
  • Designated Lanes: 21655(b) CVC states a RV towing a trailer or other vehicle shall drive in the right lane, unless passing, preparing to make a turn or while entering or exiting a highway. When a highway has four or more lanes, a RV towing a trailer or other vehicle shall use the two right lanes.

Folks,
Look at this description, "Towing – A "RV" is permitted to tow a trailer or other vehicle" No where does that law state or dercribe a "Non-Commercial Tow Vehicle". That law, as stated in this post, only applies to Commercial Vehicles or if you drive (sit behind the steering wheel) of a Class A, B, & maybe C & are towing a trailer or something else like a toad. The only vehicle that comes to mind that may be subject to law, if the LEO is an IDIOT" would be a Ford F450 becuase of its weight. I say this because I have 16 years as a LEO & have worked Commercial Vehicles in the past in Florida. Yes, Cali has its strange laws but you have to read it in its entirety to understand what the justice are saying. Harleyrider, put out some good info. But we get sooo cought up in the rules of the road because we carry a large rig, that we forget we're not subject to commercial laws. Sorry for the long winded response.

Ivan

Last edited:

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
Y'all can drive any speed you want while towing in California. I was attempting to give members of this forum information on what the law in California says about the speed limit while towing. As a practical matter most LEO's will not pay any attention to an RV up to 65 MPH (or higher if posted) unless you are driving like a buffoon or you happen to have an officer that needs that few more "points" to get the toaster or microwave oven as a reward for citation production.

Here are a couple of links that support the 55 MPH limit.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-speed-limits/

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
As a retired LEO and an LEO instructor in Motor Vehicle Laws and Traffic Ticket writing I realize the reciprocity agreements between the states. I was merely trying to explain to the uninformed there is a big difference in commercial and non-commercial laws and their enforcement. Thank goodness we as drivers of privately owned RVs are not subject to the rules of the commercial vehicles because if we were we would probably all park them. Now once you start being a RV transporter all the rules change as then you become commercial. Anyway I think this thread somehow got hijacked from the state inspection topic. Yes, in Texas you are required to have your trailer state inspected.

jimtoo

Yes,, it did get WAY off the original subject. So it needs to get back.

My inspection runs out April,, so I will get mine inspected so I can head out for the summer. I did the inspections for 34 years...and they are not that hard for a trailer to meet requirements in Texas. Proof of insurance on the tow vehicle and meet the safety requirements, for lights, reflectors, brakes, tires.

Jim M

Sandpirate69

No inspections for RVs in Florida. Do the speed limit, there's no hurry to get anywhere. You are RVing, soak up the sights and enjoy the day. ;)

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Well, it seems obvious to me from the responses that Heartland owners are more concerned and responsible than most sob owners. I find it crazy that our trailer is the only one that stays current with the inspections out of 22 trailers where we store it (only Heartland product on the lot). There are some pricy trailers (Mobile Suites, etc.) here and none of them have ever been reinspected after they were purchased.

meandg

crawgator
Never heard of this until now. You learn something new everyday. I guess maybe it is time to get the rig inspected. And to share what we have learned. Thanks for sharing.