Satellite dish connection

danemayer

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have the dish handy to take a look at, but I don't remember seeing bolts there on the LNB arm on mine. I'll take a look this weekend. If so that'd be perfect for what I need. Maybe even drill them out and insert some sort of bolt/pin type setup with wing nuts, cotter pins, or something to allow it to easily pivot up and down.
Not removing the arm. Removing the oval dish.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Kernst, if you are looking for a way to fold up your LNB arm, here are a couple of versions I have used.
In version 1.0 I sawed the arm off and added a couple of hinges. I knocked out the pin on one hinge and used a pin to hold out in place when set up. Worked fine.
Then I got a different dish where the arm bolted to the dish with four screws.
Enter version 2.0. This is the cats meow.
A couple of bolts, some wing nuts, nylon washers and two mending braces from Home Depot and I was all set.
The pictures should tell the story.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377908253767.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377908253767.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 105
  • uploadfromtaptalk1377908298914.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377908298914.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 97
  • uploadfromtaptalk1377908391044.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377908391044.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 101
  • uploadfromtaptalk1377908513214.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377908513214.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 101
  • uploadfromtaptalk1377908549630.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377908549630.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 99
  • uploadfromtaptalk1377908577054.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377908577054.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 99

kernst

Thanks for the suggestions Dave. I definitely like version 2.0, but my dish has the arm mounted like the one in your version 1.0 pics. For now I've removed the dish itself as danemayer suggested. I'm surprised at how much more portable that made the whole thing. Most likely more than folding up the LNB arm.

d_fergie

Kernst, if you are looking for a way to fold up your LNB arm, here are a couple of versions I have used.
In version 1.0 I sawed the arm off and added a couple of hinges. I knocked out the pin on one hinge and used a pin to hold out in place when set up. Worked fine.
Then I got a different dish where the arm bolted to the dish with four screws.
Enter version 2.0. This is the cats meow.
A couple of bolts, some wing nuts, nylon washers and two mending braces from Home Depot and I was all set.
The pictures should tell the story.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I like those ideas, I use a Phase III dish that I notched out so a SL5 now a SWM3 LNB will fit for camping...

RVNEWBIE

Yeah...directtv told me that too. However, a spare HDDVR I had works just fine. I can only watch and/or record one program at a time with the carryout, but it will work. I can record something and watch it later, unlike the standard receivers that are $100 and are not DVR. Joe

porthole

Retired
An update to my post above (and in another thread)

Using a couple of iPhone apps, a transit tripod with a TV4RV.com mast adapter and compass, and a First Strike SAT meter we have set up our DirecTV HD DVR Genie for two TV's, 6 times now with minimal fuss. typically in under 10-15 minutes.

Using a couple of iPhone apps, a transit tripod with a TV4RV.com mast adapter and compass, and a First Strike SAT meter we have set up our DirecTV HD DVR Genie for two TV's, 6 times now with minimal fuss. typically in under 10-15 minutes.

I had all kind of trouble learning how to get a signal with my Directv. A friend finally showed me how to do it and now it takes longer to put up the tripod than it does to get a signal. I like your TV4RV tripod and folding arm. That's why it takes me so long...............
Guess I need to spring for one of those too.

mobilcastle

I am going to buy a TV 4RV tripod soon-I have been looking for a used one but they are hard to find-must be because they work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mobilcastle

Did you sign up with direct as a RV or are you using home equipment?
Thanks
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Steve, home service, I replaced cable at the house. I got the HDR receiver and 3 Genie clients, 4 TV's

The spare bedroom Genie and remote is in the Cyclone for the season (will probably stay there unless we have guests at home).
I take the main receiver with us when we go away. I have an extra power and HDMI cable already in the Cyclone, so all I have to do is bring the receiver AND the remote.

I emphasized the remote above because this past week I forgot it. It is way easier to set up the receiver when you make camp with the remote.
I didn't bother watching anything network recorded since I was not able to fast forward-rewind.

The remotes frequently come up on sale either through Direct or several different websites, so next time I see the "RF" version cheap I will get one to keep in the camper.

The Radio Frequency version of the remotes allow the receiver and clients to be out of site. My receiver in the trailer is hidden behind the TV.

here are a couple of pics of the receiver in the Cyclone.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=329207&viewfull=1#post329207

And here is a bit of my drama with SAT TV. Page 3 starts the successful portion of the setup.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...-a-bit-disappointed/page3?highlight=satellite

RVNEWBIE

Correct...Genie will NOT work outside your home with a satellite genie receiver. HOWEVER, DirecTV is incorrect when telling you the HDDVR and the regular HD receivers will not work. I have an HDDVR that I am using with my carryout. It works fine, just does not display in HD. The DVR works fine if I want to record something and watch it later, but I cannot record one and watch something else at the same time. Joe

HornedToad

Now your Direct TV is hooked up you'll need to set up Distant Network Service to watch the local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS) outside your home viewing area.
It adds $15.00 a month to your bill and there are some issues...
you'll get east coast or west coast stations so ie you get to watch Los Angeles newscast
and on some of the sports you may get a PAC 12 game instead of the BIG 10 or BIG 12 games broadcast in your area.

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DNS_Vehicles_Aff.pdf

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There may be a little confusion here.
There is a Genie and a Client.
The Genie is the DVR.
The Genie will work outside the home, but the Client will not work on its own.
You must have both the Genie and Client for the Client to work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
So I will update my above comment to match Dave's - somewhat.

I have a Genie HR-34 HD DVR Receiver, which can work on its own outside of my home.
I also have a Genie Mini (client) which needs the HR-34 to work on a separate TV.

One Genie HR-34 receiver is needed for the primary TV and one additional Genie Mini is needed for each additional TV

mobilcastle

After reading all of these post I am assuming if I set up a Genie HD-DVR in my home and a Mini for my second TV I can just unplug and put it in the Rig and use it the same way? If I am wrong please correct me.

Garypowell

OK. To be really perfectly clear with my home Genie and client box can I use my Winegard 1518 with a SWM configuration?

my concern is that some of you might have a "fancier" set out dish on a tripod and that your 3 LNB head, for example, might be why the genie/client configuration works.

Or does this genie/client work simply because of the SWM configuration?