Satellite dish connection

porthole

Retired
OK. To be really perfectly clear with my home Genie and client box can I use my Winegard 1518 with a SWM configuration?

No

There are currently no portable antennas that are capable of HD for DirecTV.

AFAIK the Genie system requires the oval antenna with the single wire (SWM). And it has to be powered with a inline "power inserter"
If you are going portable with it you need to have an additional antenna and a way to set it up, e.g. a tripod.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Now your Direct TV is hooked up you'll need to set up Distant Network Service to watch the local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS) outside your home viewing area.
It adds $15.00 a month to your bill and there are some issues...
you'll get east coast or west coast stations so ie you get to watch Los Angeles newscast
and on some of the sports you may get a PAC 12 game instead of the BIG 10 or BIG 12 games broadcast in your area.

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DNS_Vehicles_Aff.pdf

You can also call and change your "service address" to your local address if you're going to be there awhile with a simple phone call. That way, you'll get the local channels through your DirecTV, just like you would at home. Also helps if you have the Service Agreement, they'll come to your RV site and work. There will be a difference in your taxes, but its usually minimal.

Garypowell

You can also call and change your "service address" to your local address if you're going to be there awhile with a simple phone call. That way, you'll get the local channels through your DirecTV, just like you would at home. Also helps if you have the Service Agreement, they'll come to your RV site and work. There will be a difference in your taxes, but its usually minimal.

There is a caveat with this statement. You get local stations only if there are local stations available. I don't have extensive experience with this but we were staying in the middle part of Mississippi last year (Frog Hollow near Granada) and there were no "local" stations. We still got all the 101 and 119 deg sat stuff but no locals. This is one of the reasons we went with the national package.

It was also a hassle to call twice a week to change our location. Granted if you are staying for a month it is not that big of a deal. But we were told once when we called to change locations they "saw" we had done that several times and they were not allowed to do it "often". I said thank you and called back and got someone else.

Garypowell

Porthole. Thanks for the information. I don't get HD with the 1518 but that's OK. When I call DirectV they always say even my H24-100 HD equipment won't work with my 1518....but it works perfectly. Just thought I might be able to stretch my luck with the Genie in the house when we go full time.

I ran a second line last weekend to test out that with the "watch and record" with the H24 and it worked. Next week I am going to put in SWM since with a double line to the main we lose the bedroom. I thought I could maybe switch back and forth but when you configure with 2 lines it throws an error when the second tuner is not there.....so this made the SWM decision easy.

I want to get this all configured before we get home since it is easier to do it on the road when everything is here and running.