Satellite dish help

Smokepit

Trying to hook up my tailgater to my 375qb. I have 2 coaxial hookups on the out side of the unit, but neither are labled. There is also 2 coaxial hookups behind the t.v. in the living area. If been told that you can't run your dish through the booster. I've tried both outside hookups and the box doesn't recognize the dish is hooked up. Only way i have gotten it to work is run the coax from the dish through the window to the dish box. Any suggestions what to try next.

Also the coax hookups on the outside are colored black and the other is orange.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

richheck

Seasoned Member
In our LM's UDC are two sat ports, one for the living room and one for the bedroom. On the sidewall of the UDC is a diagram of all items in the UDC. These two ports allow me to switch from my roof mount Winegard Traveler dish to a ground mount Winegard Pathway P2 if roof view is blocked. Hopefully your sat lead is only going to one location being Dish will not work if the input signal from the dish is split (Older Direct will work with a split signal)

Do you have access to a signal generator and tracer, would make things easier in tracing your cables allowing you to label both your input and output connections, I have only seen one Oakmont UDC and if I remember correctly it had only one input for park cable and one for sat, do your additional TV locations have multiple coax outlets?

MikeR

I'm not sure what you mean by Dish won't work if the input signal from the dish (antenna) is split. My input signal travels thru one coax cable from the dish (antenna) to my UDC. After the UDC the coax goes to a splitter with a coax connection for the living room and the other coax is connected to the satellite connection in the OTA amplifier in the bedroom. I'm using a Hopper in the living room and a wired Joey in the bedroom. Works great we can each watch whatever we want on either TV. At home I have one coax coming in to the house and sending a signal to one Hopper and 3 Joey's, thru multiple splitters. I use my Dish receiver box from home in my RV.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
On ElkRidge, the satellite/cable ports were not marked either. We only have 2 connections. One cable port, which goes to the five TV locations in the trailer. And One satellite port, which only goes to the living room TV. Not sure if yours is similar. But here's what our outside connections look like...
6itnv5.jpg

Smokepit

On ElkRidge, the satellite/cable ports were not marked either. We only have 2 connections. One cable port, which goes to the five TV locations in the trailer. And One satellite port, which only goes to the living room TV. Not sure if yours is similar. But here's what our outside connections look like...
6itnv5.jpg
I think mine is the same as yours. I ended up using the same location as yours and finding the one connection behind the t.v. that worked. Now I just need to mark them so I don't forget which is which.

JWalker

I think mine is the same as yours. I ended up using the same location as yours and finding the one connection behind the t.v. that worked. Now I just need to mark them so I don't forget which is which.

Yep, I just marked mine with a Sharpie.

richheck

Seasoned Member
I'm not sure what you mean by Dish won't work if the input signal from the dish (antenna) is split. My input signal travels thru one coax cable from the dish (antenna) to my UDC. After the UDC the coax goes to a splitter with a coax connection for the living room and the other coax is connected to the satellite connection in the OTA amplifier in the bedroom. I'm using a Hopper in the living room and a wired Joey in the bedroom. Works great we can each watch whatever we want on either TV. At home I have one coax coming in to the house and sending a signal to one Hopper and 3 Joey's, thru multiple splitters. I use my Dish receiver box from home in my RV.

Won't work with the Wally or 211's with portable dishes like Tailgater or Pathway being the receiver sends signals to the dish when different sats need to be located ( changing channels). That's why you can only watch channels on the same sat on the second output.

Dont know about the Joeys and hoppers.

MikeR

Won't work with the Wally or 211's with portable dishes like Tailgater or Pathway being the receiver sends signals to the dish when different sats need to be located ( changing channels). That's why you can only watch channels on the same sat on the second output.

Dont know about the Joeys and hoppers.

So it's not Dish that limits your viewing, it's the type of equipment you're using.

richheck

Seasoned Member
So it's not Dish that limits your viewing, it's the type of equipment you're using.

Yes it is "Dish" equipment that contains the necessary software to control the King Control Tailgater or Winegard Pathway auto find dishes that have the issues with splitting. Not sure what will happen next now that I have read "Dish" is phasing out the "VIP" series.

Smokepit

I tried using my Hopper first with my tailgater, but was told by Dish customer support that the hopper won't work with the tailgater. I had to get. Regular HD receiver. If the VIP is phased out I wonder what we will use in our RV's?

JWalker

About A month ago, we purchased the King Tailgater. And we use it in conjunction with a VIP box. I'm very pleased with the set up. It does have its limitations. But for the price, the ability to roof mount it or have it portable. It has been great.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
About A month ago, we purchased the King Tailgater. And we use it in conjunction with a VIP box. I'm very pleased with the set up. It does have its limitations. But for the price, the ability to roof mount it or have it portable. It has been great.

Jamie, do you leave it on the roof/ladder mount for travel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richheck

Seasoned Member
I tried using my Hopper first with my tailgater, but was told by Dish customer support that the hopper won't work with the tailgater. I had to get. Regular HD receiver. If the VIP is phased out I wonder what we will use in our RV's?

Looks like only the Wally will work, This is what I received from DishDepot.com on the 3rd of this month " DISH will be retiring the ViP Receiver Series, 211, 222, 622, 722, etc. beginning October 1st and will no longer be available for purchase. We have reduced the cost on most ViP Series Receivers by 10% until sold out, so please grab them while you can. " By their statement it looks like the Wally will be the only one left.

RoadJunkie

Jamie, do you leave it on the roof/ladder mount for travel?

Dont know bout Jamie, but on my last rig I traveled with my Carryout on the ladder mount for 6 years. I never lost it but I did have to continually reseal the junction where the ladder attaches to the roof.

JWalker

Dont know bout Jamie, but on my last rig I traveled with my Carryout on the ladder mount for 6 years. I never lost it but I did have to continually reseal the junction where the ladder attaches to the roof.

Do you have any pictures of the ladder mount you used? My original thoughts were to mount it on top of the ladder rails. But with the height of the satellite, it put me at 13'6". And I'm uncomfortable with that height.