Screen Door Latch

sjrellis

I need to revisit this. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, our screen door latch broke. The part that is screwed on to the door...it broke. Jim has glued it back many times. He also bought a replacement, which does not work. We've looked all over the entire handle and cannot find any sort of markings to help us know exactly what we need to replace it with. Has anyone replaced the handle? Evidently they are not universal...oh, and I did read this morning that there are right and left handle latches. He bought the correct one as far as that goes.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

sjrellis

That is the one we got, I believe. (It came from CW). But it is too thick. It won't allow the door to shut all the way.

Boca_Shuffles

That is the one we got, I believe. (It came from CW). But it is too thick. It won't allow the door to shut all the way.
Can you close just the screen door by itself?

If yes, then you need to adjust the little striker assembly that is attached to the outside door. If it isn't depressing the latch far enough, screen won't latch or will catch when you open the two doors together.

Loosen the two screws and adjust the striker so that the screen door handle is depressed a little bit more.

ChopperBill

If you cant get it adjusted properly don't feel alone. No amount of adjusting will get ours to work to my satisfaction. Who ever assembled the door slopped @$% the deal and drilled the holes in the wrong locations and there is not enough adjustment to fix ours. Going to spend some time relocating the holes and fixing the unused holes someday. Oh, on top of that the hinges seem to be bent and the door seems sprung. Going to have to fix that also. I dont blame Heartland, they just installed what some uncaring worker sent them. The door in our older BH worked great from the get go.

Something else to look at are the hinges for the screen door. Or rather what they sit on when the door gets closed. There was a big round screw head under the middle hinge on ours that held the door frame to the trailer. That forced the door into stress, which got directed to the plastic latch. Removed and relocated the screw and the door closes properly.

I'll tell Jim all this but I believe it is actually the depth of the latch (the part that screws onto the door) is just thicker than the original and will not allow the door to shut.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Odd, unless they started molding them a little beefier to eliminate the thin plastic from cracking so easily. If so, then it may be a problem for older units needing a replacement. Is there any vendor contact information in the packaging? Might try contacting them for a remedy, or maybe they have some older models in "the back room."