Screws breaking

Gbrvers

We have noticed a lot of screw heads on the exterior and slides are popping off. Looks like they were over torqued when installed. We hope that is all it is. Has anyone had this happen. There are at least 12 or more heads popped off but there are a lot of screws in this area so we hope it won't become an issue.

chaplady

Having same problem with screws holding j wrap and molding on slides. So far I've replaced approx 20. Plan on just replacing the rest.

WillyBill

Be sure to squirt a little caulk in the screw holes before putting screws in. This is a common water entry point otherwise. And also remove and caulk all screws on all door and compartment frames.

WB

MTPockets

When replacing screws, I’ve also inserted a flat, wooden toothpick along with caulk for a tight hold.

sengli

We had this same issue with our elkridge, and then the big horn. I contacted the factory as both of our units were new at the time. The factory originally thought maybe they had gotten some soft screws(china), but pretty sure they were just over torqued, when installed and the heads were barley hanging on, before they popped off. On my rig it was the screws on the the sides of the as the slides popping off their heads. I think the flexing of those slides, when going in and out was causing the stress on the fasteners. After a while they stopped breaking off.

I went and bought some stainless screws on my own and simply replaced them as they snapped off. Putting them in next to the OE screws as there is no way to get the old ones out after the heads broke off.

Tree14

We have noticed a lot of screw heads on the exterior and slides are popping off. Looks like they were over torqued when installed. We hope that is all it is. Has anyone had this happen. There are at least 12 or more heads popped off but there are a lot of screws in this area so we hope it won't become an issue.
We replaced almost all exterior fasteners with marine grade SS. The factory installs cheapest possible grade. These are outdoor vehicles, don't understand... $$$

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dan00500

I have lag bolts that popped their tops from the cable bracket that fastens to the top front driver's-side of my king slide room. It's the seventh one in the same spot. The first six popped out and causes us to return it to the factory for repair. This seventh is rather upsetting to see repeated. I just got my unit back in July from being practically rebuilt. (Sorry for my griping.)

Anyone had success with the stainless steel screws, especially larger lag bolts that deal with the high tension of the slide room cables?

**Dan