Single pane windows vs dual pane? Purchasing soon

fcwatson

Beautiful unit, but does not have dual pain windows. Will be living in colder climates? How insulated is single pane? Should I wait and order dual pain.

Model BigHorn 3875

Fred

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
They add about 300 pounds to the unit (I have heard).
They do provide added insulation for both temperature and sound.
They add about $2,000 to the MSRP (should be able to bargain that down to about $1300)
Some people will say they don't think it's worth it.
I bought them and I like them.
I would buy them again.
Good Luck!

danemayer

Hi Fred,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find lots of useful information here along with a bunch of friendly and helpful people.

We spend 4-6 weeks in the Colorado mountains for ski season each year with temps as low as -30(F). We're happy with the dual pane windows and don't get a lot of frost buildup.

The actual improvement in insulation value is not the same as in residential windows, where there's inert gas or vacuum separating the panes. Nevertheless, they do help in summer and winter, and also cut noise. The large windows in our RVs provide a very large area for heat transfer - in during the summer, and out during the winter.

From past discussions on this topic, I would say that most owners who opted for dual pane windows would not go back.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with the other posters.
We have had them on the past two rigs and would not be without them.
Be warned, dealers, who don't actually own a rig, will want to say "you don't really need them". I've heard it more than once.

Peace
Dave

MTPockets

Everything that has been said - YES... If you don't get the dual panes, every time you use the unit you'll wish you had them.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
This is our 4th coach with the first 3 without dual pane windows. We have been in our current coach for over 2 years with dual pane windows and wondering why we didn't get them before. After having them, don't think we will have another coach without them. So the answer is YES.

Theresau

Feedback from someone who greatly considered ordering these twice and both times did not.

We considered getting these when ordering both the 2010 BH and the 2014 BC (especially when ordering the BC as we wanted this coach to be pretty residential). However, the bottom line is that we've never had issues without dual pane windows so we decided against it when we completed our final order for the BC. Our windows in the 2010 BH and in the 2014 BC have never steamed up when it's gotten cold out. We've been in temps to the mid-20's at night. And both trailers were very toasty then. (We end our RV'ing in Michigan usually by end of October but we have traveled to FL in the winter and experienced cold temperatures along the way then and then in FL itself at times during the winter.)

If it's planned to be in more extreme weather - hot or cold, then it probably makes sense. If the plan is to be in more temperate weather then the weight and cost need to be factored. Our new BC had a list weight at only 10,990 but at build it went up to 12,100. We have only loaded the coach with typical stuff and when we were weighed in Goshen we were at 14,000. Considering this we know we made the right decision as we are at our max weight now.

In regard to the noise factor, again that just hasn't been an issue ever for us so that was not a reason for us to order these.

Theresa

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have been fulltiming in our rig for 2 1/2 years.
I heartily recommend ordering dual pane windows.
Then you are prepared for any situation, weather or noise related.
You won't be sorry IMHO.
We have owned several rigs both with and without dual panes.
I will never own another RV without them.
On my BH 3670 I was told it added 160lbs. Trace

Trace

porthole

Retired
Dual pane windows are like washer/dryers in the camper.

Those that have them think they are great.
Those that don't tend to think they are a waste of money.

Most that do have either the DP windows or the W/D would not be without them, myself included.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Dual pane windows are like washer/dryers in the camper.

Those that have them think they are great.
Those that don't tend to think they are a waste of money.

Most that do have either the DP windows or the W/D would not be without them, myself included.

Exactly!

caissiel

we have spend 8 winters in Florida and last 4 in our DP BC and compared to other campers we have never complained about the humid cold mornings. We are lucky to have them and compared to previous unit we never need to pass the towel on a wet dripping window. Well worth it.
We use to cover the large wiindows with foam before leaving in november. No more now as windows are nice and dry.

sengli

We went thru the same routine when we recently ordered our BH from heartland. I spoke with the engineering people there at the factory, and he flat out said the R factor of the dual panes is like .07. So you spend $2000 for windows that really have no R factor, plus they add an average of about 250 lbs, he said to the coach. There is no payback. Plus the fact the frames of the windows are aluminum which obviously conducts heat and cold like crazy. And don't forget the small slits in the frames as well which are for condensation drainage. DW made some window inserts for our coach out that bubble foil material and we have like a R14.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I've had both and from this point we will always have dual panes windows.

Theresau

And again we have never had window sweating in either fifth wheel if that is the concern and we've traveled to the UP a # of times where it's gotten plenty cold at night (and we always camp right on the lakefront so there's plenty of humidity).

However, if you feel you do want them then the best bet is to order - only took 5 weeks from order to build and that was during the very busy months of March and April. If you are planning on spending time in the very cold, you might consider the Yetti package as well. (And we highly recommend the dual AC especially now that the bedroom AC unit is fully ducted.)

There are some very good internet dealers...

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We went thru the same routine when we recently ordered our BH from heartland. I spoke with the engineering people there at the factory, and he flat out said the R factor of the dual panes is like .07. So you spend $2000 for windows that really have no R factor, plus they add an average of about 250 lbs, he said to the coach. There is no payback. Plus the fact the frames of the windows are aluminum which obviously conducts heat and cold like crazy. And don't forget the small slits in the frames as well which are for condensation drainage. DW made some window inserts for our coach out that bubble foil material and we have like a R14.

If memory serves me correctly, we paid around $900 more for the dual panes. Plus, they are a lot easier to see through than the bubble foil material. :) (We use it, but only when it's 105+, extemely hot).
Ask the folks who don't feel they are worth it, how many have actually had them.
My dealer said the same thing and come to find out, he had never even had them in his rig.
So if you have no first hand experience, how do you form a valid opinion? Trace

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
We had a Bighorn for five years without dual pane windows. We now have a new Landmark with dual pane windows and can certainly tell the difference. I would never order another coach without them again.

RickSmith

I too am getting closer to purchasing a new Bighorn and was researching the double pane question. This thread has settled question... Double Pane it is. Great discussion!