Single pane windows vs dual pane? Purchasing soon

danemayer

I too am getting closer to purchasing a new Bighorn and was researching the double pane question. This thread has settled question... Double Pane it is. Great discussion!

Hi RickSmith,

Glad we could help and hope to see you in a Bighorn at a Texas Chapter Rally soon.

caissiel

in the fall here I checked the dp window glass inside temperature and its same as the walls. That is room tempetature. with sg the temperature was lower in our previos unit. our friend also full time in theirs and i can see the wet windows startng in october.

as fare as r value .07 much better then nothing because a 1/8 glass surely cannot be much.

happykraut

I agree with the other posters.
We have had them on the past two rigs and would not be without them.
Be warned, dealers, who don't actually own a rig, will want to say "you don't really need them". I've heard it more than once.

Peace
Dave
Dave, you are so right. My salesman talked me out of the dual pane windows when we ordered the BC. He caught me at a weak moment and boy was I sorry for listening to him. Our new BH has the dual panes and we love them. I will not be without them again.

Jim.Allison

I read the post concerning this Dual Pane V. Single Pane windows. I would say this. Energy savings for 1 square inch is not very much. But has anyone looked at the number of square inches of window in a modern RV. In terms of TOTAL fuel saving (fuel and cost of acquisition and transportation), comfort, the ability of your RV to handle the extreem (hot or cold) for those few brief hours when it is it hotest or the coldest, and the reduction of sound, increased durability and security (maybe hail), I chose dual. IMHO.......

Ladiver

Dumb question. I ordered dp in my rig. How do i "know" that I got them? I see no markings on the windows.

Thanks,

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dumb question. I ordered dp in my rig. How do i "know" that I got them? I see no markings on the windows.

Thanks,

Jeff,
Open one of the sliders and look at the edge. You should see two pieces of glass about 1/4" apart. Trace

Trace

Jim.Allison

I have not received my 2014 Heartland yet. But when I was looking at the coaches, it was pretty obvious that I was looking at dual pane windows.

We have dual pane windows on our Landmark and just discovered another "benefit" of them. One of the windows was struck by a rock from a weed whacker. It only shattered the outer pane. We still have another layer of glass, although the window is obviously not functional. The outer pane shattered into hundreds of tiny pieces, none of which were sharp. Now off to find out how to get a new window...!

Eddhuy

I do not use my coach full time and probably never will, I like having a place to come home to, just habit I guess. I currently live in and have camped mainly in Northern California, summers are routinely very hot, 100 plus days are quite common. I fall into the category of never having had dual pane windows in TT or FW and probably never will. Not that I don't think that they would be quite nice but more that I have never had the need for them. My GW is the first RV that has dual ACs and have only used them once but I know they will be nice in the future. Sweating windows has not been a problem for me in 20 years but I do not use my FW in extreme cold climates. When I lived in Virginia, my dual pane aluminum sliding door would form ice on the inside during the winter on a cold windy winter day over the aluminum framing, not the glass. In my home in CA, to improve the insulation value of my dual pane windows, I had to do away with aluminum framing to get to where I wanted to be. On a 100 plus degree day and when the sun is hitting the side of my FW, I can find the frames quite easily in the side of the FW. I have the frameless windows with a tint that also greatly reduces the heat transfer, and the awning helps as well for both the frames and the windows. If I were living in the FW full time, I would want the dual pane windows but as things are now, I have never wished I had them or felt the need for them but again think they would be nice.

mobilcastle

We have had both. I think once you have DP you will not buy another rig without them. They do a super job of cutting noise down-good luck with your new toy!

tljack

We spent our first fairly cold night in our Bighorn last night. The temperature got down to 11 degrees F. The wind was blowing 25-35. We do not have dual pane windows. We are not getting any sweating and can feel very little cold. We were warm as toast and did not have any issues with freezing. I did not leave any outside lines hooked up though. If we were to do over, I would probably opt for dual pane. We do not make it a practice to be in weather this cold. Currently heading to south east Texas.

chiefneon

Howdy!

We are researching purchasing a new Cyclone 4000 elite. Have not found one on the lot that has the options we want. We are fulltimers so cutting back one wait we're we can will help. I've read the post here about dal pane windows and I known they add weight but I would like to here from anyone that have had problems with their dual pane windows.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Birchwood

Unless you enjoy water dripping from the inside of your windows in cooler weather hold off for the dual pain.In five years living in our RV sometimes at freezing temps I have never seen a drip of water or fogging on any window of our Pinehurst.

fcwatson

I'm the originator of the post. I have picked up my 3875FB and have been living in it for almost 3 months full time. Very very very glad I purchased dual pane windows.

Howdy!

We are researching purchasing a new Cyclone 4000 elite. Have not found one on the lot that has the options we want. We are fulltimers so cutting back one wait we're we can will help. I've read the post here about dal pane windows and I known they add weight but I would like to here from anyone that have had problems with their dual pane windows.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I picked up my second Big Horn coach, 3875FB, July 9, and it has dual pane windows. Our first Big Horn coach, 3600RL, also had dual pane windows. I would not have a coach with out them. We, too, are full timers, and yesterday morning it was 38 degrees, but no condensation on the windows. The windows keep the coach cooler, warmer and quieter. Happy camping and safe travels.

Theresau

We continue to feel that there's not a great need for the dual pane windows unless you are planning to be in very cold weather. We recently had a 28 degree evening and windows did not sweat at all.

They never sweated in our 2010 BH as well.

Our 2014 BC is quiet inside - we've been impressed with this since coming to FL couple of weeks ago. We hear very little "noise" from the outside...... Anything we hear would be heard with dual pane windows as well.

Very glad we didn't add the weight...........nor take on the add'l cost. Would rather spend on other things.

xcop524

I just purchased a Cyclone 4000 and want to replace the single pane windows with dual pane windows does anyone know where one can purchase dual pane windows for the CY 4000

Dean-Pam

When we purchased our latest 5er, really wanted the dual panes, but couldn't find one on the lot. Settled for single pane and wish we had done a special order for the dual pane windows...even in the mildest fall weather, we have water forming on the inside of the windows. I am now looking for a small/mid-size dehumidifier to run when it is cool/cold outside.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just purchased a Cyclone 4000 and want to replace the single pane windows with dual pane windows does anyone know where one can purchase dual pane windows for the CY 4000
I believe that the windows are made by Kinro.
You might be able to contact them or call Heartland to confirm who the supplier is.
I know of one person that did the conversion and as I recall it was quite costly.
But that may not be true today.

Peace
Dave