Six Volt Batteries in Series

We took possession of our 2nd new 2013 3260 Elite last Thursday (Long Story) and arrived home last Friday. I went out to the rig three days later and the batteries were dead. Check for battery fluid and they were both down about 20%. Filled them both back up and plug the unit into shore power at home. Charged them for about 30 hours and then unplug the unit. Went out this morning to open the slides and yep you guessed it, both batteries were dead again. Called Heartland rep and he said the batteries will only last about three days, even with no use? He said the residual draw down from the radio in the basement, even though it is off, and the warning systems in the unit will stay on even if the main switch to batteries is turned to the off position. I did not have this problem with our old 2004 Cardinal? Anyone having similar problems and how did you resolve it? The two 6V Batteries appear to be wired correctly, ie: in series (one lead to positive side of first battery and connected to the negative side in the second battery - first battery negative side (white wire) connected to the rig (bank of connections) and the second battery positive side (red wire) connected to the rig (two connections). The rig works fine hooked up to shore power. Thanks - Mike

wdk450

Mike:
When you say " Called Heartland Rep" do you mean Heartland Factory Service or the local dealer who sold you the rig?
It sounds to me that you are not getting correct information. You might PM forum member "Karykatz", who is Cary Katzenberger, the Heartland Bighorn product manager about your problem/questions.

Brand new batteries should not be low in electrolyte. That now makes them suspect.

If you have a Digital Voltmeter, you can take readings on the battery bank at the two big cables that go to the rig. You should read >13.6 volts when they are charging, around 13.6 volts after being fully charged with no large load on them.

brianharrison

Hi Mike,

Were you able to test your batteries after the 30 hour charge (ie unplugged from shore power and try the slides? did they work?).
The battery disconnect needs to be "on" for the converter to charge the batteries.

If you have a digital volt/ohm meter can you measure the voltage across the battery terminals? This will be the best indicator of state of charge for the batteries and if the converter is charging the batteries.

Brian

EDIT - sorry Bill, you type faster than I.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Did the dealer install the two six volt batteries?
I thought that Heartland provided one 12 volt battery. At least that's what their web site says.

Peace
Dave

Lynn1130

Something is rotten in Denmark. With the battery disconnect in the off position my batteries show little to no drain in a month. I think the general rule is with no drain batteries drop about 3% a month. Unless there is some kind of "new" wiring all parasitic draw should be off when the disconnect is off. I have 2 6 volt batteries and they last for days when dry comping.

I will try to answer some of the questions: 1) I called Heartland Factory Rep back in Indiana, who said the two 6volt batteries in series would not last more than three days. I will e-mail "Karykatz" and see what she recommends. 2) I have a volt meter, if I can find it, and hope I remember how to use it!!! 3) The slides did work after 30 hours plugged into shore power and the monitoring system showed them full. 4) The battery disconnect was on. 5) I down loaded the "12V block diagram diagram and troubleshooting guide". Bedside reading tonight. I will check the circuit breaker on the buss bar. 6) Dealer installed the two 6 volt batteries in lieu of the one 12V battery at no cost to me for the batteries or installation. It is obvious I need to recharge the batteries to determine what reading I am getting, check circuit breaker. Thanks to all who replied, I guess need to brush up on my electronics - Mike

scottyb

I just changed to two 6V battery system and I am able to run my 50" TV and Dish receiver for 3-4 hrs, a 20" box fan, and a 12" fan all night and still start the generator in the AM.. Something is definitely not right. As mentioned, the disconnect should stop all drain from the batteries.

danemayer

After you recharge the batteries, let them sit for 20-30 minutes before checking the charge level. I forget what it's called, but there's a "charge effect" of some kind that will give you misleading readings for a little while after disconnecting the charger or shore power.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I will try to answer some of the questions: 1) I called Heartland Factory Rep back in Indiana, who said the two 6volt batteries in series would not last more than three days. I will e-mail "Karykatz" and see what she recommends. 2) I have a volt meter, if I can find it, and hope I remember how to use it!!! 3) The slides did work after 30 hours plugged into shore power and the monitoring system showed them full. 4) The battery disconnect was on. 5) I down loaded the "12V block diagram diagram and troubleshooting guide". Bedside reading tonight. I will check the circuit breaker on the buss bar. 6) Dealer installed the two 6 volt batteries in lieu of the one 12V battery at no cost to me for the batteries or installation. It is obvious I need to recharge the batteries to determine what reading I am getting, check circuit breaker. Thanks to all who replied, I guess need to brush up on my electronics - Mike

By the way, Karykatz is a HE...:)

wdk450

Hi Mike,

Were you able to test your batteries after the 30 hour charge (ie unplugged from shore power and try the slides? did they work?).
The battery disconnect needs to be "on" for the converter to charge the batteries.

If you have a digital volt/ohm meter can you measure the voltage across the battery terminals? This will be the best indicator of state of charge for the batteries and if the converter is charging the batteries.

Brian

EDIT - sorry Bill, you type faster than I.

Brian:
No sweat, brilliant minds think alike!!!

Rmcgrath53

Hello A fully charged BATTERY is 12.7 volts on a healthy battery. My battery disconnect still allows the slide out pump to work.
You can check the battery bank as a combined reading or half 12.7 for the 6 volt reading.6.35 something like that. Your battery should not get below 50% discharge or 12.2 volts. I don't currently have a heartland but ounce did.