Slide Issue- need advise

sqdancr

Hi Everyone.

I am in need of some advise. In August I purchased a 2008 Heartland Big Horn 5[SUP]th[/SUP]wheel. It was purchased from itsoriginal owner who took great care of it. My questions are about the slideouts. I have 3 slides, the bedroom, desk area in living room and couch inliving room. Desk is on the door side, other 2 are on the back side. In the cupboardthere is a switch but only 1 switch, think you call it a rocker switch, thatdoes all three slides. When I use that,the bed goes out then the desk and finally the couch. On the outside , in the door with the battery,I have 3 knobs, one labeled desk, couch and bed. It doesn’t matter whether I use the insideswitch or the knobs I have the same issue with the couch slide. The other slidesdon’t have a problem but when the couch goes out it starts going then stops, Ithen make the others come in a bit and then back out and it goes out a littlemore and stops. Again I press the IN and the other two come in a bit and then OUTand they go out and the couch goes out a bit more. I have to do this until the couch is fullyextended. I have to do the same thing toget the couch area in. It is not out oftiming as all sides of each individual slides are at the same point. I will tryto post pics but am not real good at that. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is happening?
Thank you
Sqdancr

avvidclif

Since that's a hydraulic system I would start by checking the fluid level when all slides are in. If not full you could be running low when the last slide goes out. Best guess.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It's normal for one slide to move a bit and stop while the others are moving as long as your hydraulic pump is still running. Especially since your couch slide is probably the heaviest.
Does your pump continue to run or does it stop?
Those knobs that you speak of should be fully open under normal operation. If you want to deploy only one slide, say the bedroom slide for example, you would close off the valves labeled desk and couch.
If your pump is stopping while you are pressing the rocker switch then you will need to change the 12 volt, 50 amp breaker that protects the slide wiring. A 10 minute $10 fix.
Oh, and I forgot to mention the obvious, be sure to check for any obstructions that might be hindering the slide operation.

On edit I see that Cliff mentioned an important item to check.
When all slides and front landing gear are retracted your fluid level should be about 1/2 from the top of the reservoir.

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

You did not mention but it sounds like a 3055 unit. We had one like that for a while and loved it. Your sequence of movement was exactly like ours and it is normal. The stop and start is not and while I never had trouble with the breaker it could as other mentioned above.

Another possibility is the battery(s). When they get older they don't have the voltage which can make things they operate draw more current than they should. Someone else can explain the theory....but that's how it works. So if your 12 volt battery is only running at 11.9 Volts, for example, a higher than normal current can make the breaker trip.

So before you change out the breaker you might check your battery and connections. I don't think you'd be on the original battery that came with the coach.....but one never knows what previous owners might have done or not done.

Keep us posted on your solution.

Westwind

I've had to replace a relay fuse on mine, it would start to push the slides out and then stop, wait awhile and then when I tried again it would work for awhile and then stop again. Once I replaced the fuse no problems it operated without fail. Hydraulic slides have a different personality then electric.