Slide-Out Adjustment Procedure?

brlr2000

I have a Living Room Slide-out that needs to be adjusted (Height). It's dragging on the bottom, and scraping the plastic coating on the bottom of the slideout. However, it slides in and out just fine. Is there a specific procedure for adjusing both front and back slide vertical adjustments?

jnbhobe

Its not a hard job, just follow the instructions Steve posted its down about 6 items from the bottom.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on which slide you are talking about, it may be adjusted just fine. Slides glide on a plastic/nylon strip and sometimes the bottom coating chips off.
It is important to somehow seal the bottom that has chipped off. Like using a good sealing paint.

Peace
Dave

brlr2000

Thanks Steve for the manual(s). It looks like I have the standard hydraulic slideout mechanism. The adjustment procedure is pretty straight-forward, but no information on how much clearance is recommended. I would guess 1/4 to 1/2 inch...but I will also look at the top of the slideout to make sure it doesn't scrape the roof of the slideout. And Dave, You're right. the raw wood needs to be sealed. I got a kit from the factory that seals the wood, and a plastic glide strip is glued to the bottom of the wood. If anyone else knows of the recommended clearances, let me know.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Some photos of the damage might help. If you've applied the plastic rub strips, that should deal with any abrasion. But if the "wear" and flaking of the bottom coating is along the outer edges at the sides of the slide, it may be water damage that has caused the plywood floor to swell and delaminate. Applying the plastic strips (Parkland Plastics?) will not prevent that, the edges of the plywood need to be sealed and capped to prevent further damage (unless it's gotten too far).

brlr2000

John, The damage has chipped off the plastic,and is beginning to tear into the plywood. Luckily, the RV has primarily been in a desert dry climate. The wood doesn't appear to have swelled at all. I will be coating the exposed wood with the 105 type sealant, before I apply the plastic strips. My hope is that I get the slideout adjusted vertically, to prevent future damage to the plastic strips.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John, The damage has chipped off the plastic,and is beginning to tear into the plywood. Luckily, the RV has primarily been in a desert dry climate. The wood doesn't appear to have swelled at all. I will be coating the exposed wood with the 105 type sealant, before I apply the plastic strips. My hope is that I get the slideout adjusted vertically, to prevent future damage to the plastic strips.

Got it! The majority of the problems reported here were due to water damage to the edges of the floor, where it was exposed. That 105 is both a sealant and adhesive.

Have you pulled the seals back a bit to be sure there's no debris or screws sticking up that might be scraping the bottom? How does it sound when the slide is moving? Not to say your slide isn't out of adjustment, but it's worth a look to maybe save some work.

brlr2000

I did try pulling the seals back, but it's a little bit difficult to see in there. When I'm back at the rig, I'll look a little closer. I'm sure there will be some debris in there (wood chips, plastic, etc). The scraped damaged area seems quite uniform, like it's simply rubbing on a flat surface. I don't see any gouges from screws, etc. The slide seems to ride in and out OK. No unusual noises or movements, so I don't think I'll adjust anything, but the vertical adjustment on the one side. After I get the vertical adjusted, I'll check the seals when it's retracted, and extended. Hopefully, they won't change much after the initial adjustment.