Slide-Out Alignment?

mhays

I’m a newbie here and to owning a 5th-wheel but not new to RV’s and most things mechanical. We have an Arctic Fox truck camper and just bought a new 2009 (it never sold until us) 3795 Cyclone. So far so good… It’s quite a difference going from a 9ft 9in camper to a 38+ft rig. Wow – look at all that room! The dogs love it!

We have only owned this for a week and have not taken it out yet. I notice that the bedroom slide seems to be retracting a little too far when closed, because the wall is deflected inwards. And, the main room slide-out is not opening all the way when extended. I have read through all the slide-out postings…

My question is this; is there a direct relationship between the two? In other words, could the over-close situation of the bedroom be causing the under-opening problem if the main slide? If yes, one adjustment might fix both, and, adjusting both might make things worse.

I’m going to take it to the dealer, but, I’d like to also understand what is going on.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The slides are individually adjustable. Attached is a pdf of the hydraulic slide manual.

Attachments

• 5th Wheel Hydraulic Slideout Landing Gear-Web.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 277

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yeah, they can do that. It's not a big deal, but if it's still under warranty, take it back to the dealer for adjustment. We used our rig the first summer with the main slide a little off, but it didn't hurt it and the dealer adjusted it at the end of the season.

When the slides are extended, you can run your fingers behind the fascia trim and feel if the seal is tight. If you can slip your fingers in between the seal and the wall, it needs adjusting. Or looking at the fascia, you see it's at a slight angle, it need adjustment.

xcflyn

So if it is really tight on the top and loose on the bottom when fully extended, do you adjust the cylinder nuts to push it out farther on bottom or should it be adjusted up on the other horizontal jack screws ? Mine is really tight on top and a least 3/4" farther out on bottom. Seems if I adjust the double lock nuts on the cylinder to push out on the bottom it will put some serious pressure on the top and wall ? Love to hear what to do on this.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would not adjust the nuts on the cylinder. If it were me I would adjust the horizontal jack screws. You may then have to adjust the hydraulic cylinder ram for proper closure.
Make small moves and check everything when in and out.
Read the manual that Ray posted above.

Peace
Dave

ncc1701e

I noticed that Ray posted a manual for the hydraulic slideouts. Does anyone happen to have a link to the adjustments for an electric geared unit used on the 2800RL. I have a 2011 2800RL and when I look under the carriage I see some places that look as though the original adjustments have slipped. My dealer is an 8 hour drive so I'd like to be able to know the trip is justified if I can't accomplish the adjustments myself.

Thanks
Tom

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know what the brand name is of your slideout?
If it is a BAL HERE is the info.

Peace
Dave

Good afternoon,
I have a question concerning the adjustment of my slide on a 2005 Artic Fox Slide in Camper. How do you adjust the slide to seal evenly front to back. the front of the slide does not close tight unless the back is sealed to tight, if that makes sence. Thanks for the help, Chris

danemayer

Good afternoon,
I have a question concerning the adjustment of my slide on a 2005 Artic Fox Slide in Camper. How do you adjust the slide to seal evenly front to back. the front of the slide does not close tight unless the back is sealed to tight, if that makes sence. Thanks for the help, Chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of useful information here and a lot of friendly people who know a lot about Heartland RVs.

Forgive my ignorance, but is Artic Fox a Northwood product? If so, it might be hard for someone on this forum to provide specific information to answer your question.

Yes it is and thanks for responding. I just realized your point and probably should go on the Northwood Forum. Thanks again