Slide Out Failure

bobtsells

I'm new to this forum (just found y'all) and am in need of some serious help.
We have a 2009 BH (purchased used in Oct 2014).
We are having a devil of a time with our big slide (kitchen slideout). There are 2 main Lippert gears rollers under the slide (master and slave). First, one side lost a tooth, and then the other side lost one. In doing so they broke teeth out of the tracks they mesh with. We had both the gears and tracks replaced ($1300, ouch). We continued on our way in January. Now, both gears have once again lost teeth and the slide is inoperable (and we are about 1000 miles from the shop that fixed them in December). I can order the two gears and easily replace them BUT without knowing WHY this is happening I sense that I may be making these repairs time after time going forward (@ $200/set....again, OUCH!). I'm thinking there may be too much downward pressure from the slide onto the gear, but can't see how to adjust that). Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. My original dealership has no interest in helping.....explaining I purchased as-is (which I did) and did not purchase an extended warranty (which I didn't), and didn't come back to them when problem arose (which we didn't, as we were 1500 miles away and are snowbirds). I just want to fix this (at my own expense) and have it resolved. Help...!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Bobtsells and welcome to this great forum. Lots of good helpful info to be had here.
There are two things that I would look at.
One would be to make sure the slide rails are properly lubricated and two, take a look under the slide at the inside when it is extended. There is a nylon glide that the slide rides on as it is going in and out. Be sure it is not worn out.
I'm sure you will get more input soon.

Peace
Dave

bobtsells

Thanks for your input, Dave. When you say nylon slides, are you referring to the nylon wheels that are to either side of the driving wheel OR should there be additional nylon slides within the tube the rail slides thru? I've picked up another set of cogged gears but would like to do some additional research before putting them on (and having the same result as the past 2 times). A visual inspection of the tube openings don't reveal any additional nylon, nor readily a place for them to be. But that doesn't mean I'm looking at it from the right perspective.
Your input and guidance is both valued an appreciated.
Oh yeah, as to the nylon wheels on abutting the gears, they are as pristine as the day I took them out of the boxes.
Regards,
Bob

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
To make sure that we are looking at the same slide, are you referring to the large slide that also includes the dinette?
Which floor plan do you have?
If I am talking about the same slide, when the slideout is fully extended out, lift up the carpeting near the edge and you should be able to see some white nylon. This will extend from one side of the slide to the other.
I am not talking about the wheels.
I just found a picture from my old 2008 model from when I did a mod on it.
If you look at it you can see the white nylon I am referring to.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• Part installed.jpg
    Part installed.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 86

bobtsells

Okay, now I see what you're referring to. I thought you might be talking about something additional on the assembly that the rails retract into under the slide. I've previously checked the interior rollers and they seem fine. Good thought, though. I've checked with Lippert again and they don't seem to have any additional thoughts other than to suggest putting on now gears and "see what happens". At $200 per pair that gets to be a continual expensive experiment. But...that seems to be the only alternative if I want to use the unit. Oy.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I'm new to this forum (just found y'all) and am in need of some serious help.
We have a 2009 BH (purchased used in Oct 2014).
We are having a devil of a time with our big slide (kitchen slideout). There are 2 main Lippert gears rollers under the slide (master and slave). First, one side lost a tooth, and then the other side lost one. In doing so they broke teeth out of the tracks they mesh with. We had both the gears and tracks replaced ($1300, ouch). We continued on our way in January. Now, both gears have once again lost teeth and the slide is inoperable (and we are about 1000 miles from the shop that fixed them in December). I can order the two gears and easily replace them BUT without knowing WHY this is happening I sense that I may be making these repairs time after time going forward (@ $200/set....again, OUCH!). I'm thinking there may be too much downward pressure from the slide onto the gear, but can't see how to adjust that). Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. My original dealership has no interest in helping.....explaining I purchased as-is (which I did) and did not purchase an extended warranty (which I didn't), and didn't come back to them when problem arose (which we didn't, as we were 1500 miles away and are snowbirds). I just want to fix this (at my own expense) and have it resolved. Help...!

Not sure if this applies or not but we had an issue with our Ashland with one of the slides losing teeth. It actually happened twice in a row. Lippert came out with a modification that adds a slotted washer that adds more force to the gear that engages with the rack and after that modification we have not had anymore issues. I would contact lippert and see if there are any fixes for your slide.

bobtsells

Thanks for the input Fred. Where did the new washer go? I've talked to Lippert a number of times and they've never mentioned anything like this. Any additional help appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Thanks for the input Fred. Where did the new washer go? I've talked to Lippert a number of times and they've never mentioned anything like this. Any additional help appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

Bob,

I do not have the link anymore but Rob Newell, another Ashland owner, did his own repairs using the slotted washer fix. He is on the forums and you can look him up. I would send him a private message. Also Heartland customer service Ron Scarbury is the person we worked with and he too has the information on the fix. Again I am not sure if this fix will work for you.

Good Luck