Slide out Room Floor

micar

The floor in the rear loft slide on my Sundance 3300RLB is rotten and falling off one side and tore up the flooring inside the rig!!!!The rig is only 2yrs old and the whole floor looks like it will have to be replaced.......On inspection when trying to figure out how to fix it so as not to do anymore damage the J trim that transitions from the side wall to the floor appears to have been installed wrong allowing water to penetrate the untreated end of the plywood and allow it to rot letting the screws pull thru. Any ideas on the best way to fix permanently???
Thanks Mike

aatauses

Long term you may need to replace the floor--however this is what I did on mine---went to the hwd stor and picked up some case hardner along with some putty type stuff. You paint on the hardner and then shape the putty--it can then dry and be sanded---this may??? work
al

caissiel

The plywood used under my 2009 model slide is junk.

When I was working at a building supply store we got rid of 2 pallets and never bought any more. I determined it was junk before we sold the first sheet of the pallet.

I cannot understand why this junk has been used. Enough to give a company a bad name. And many SOB units just hid the junk under a cover sheet. At least on ours we can inspect it.
I caught mine early enough to protect it but I know it will be a problem in the future.

The slideout manufacturer should be held responsible to repair the thousands of unit affected.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2

micar

We purchased extended warranty from the dealer when we bought the rig.Is this something they will cover?
Mike

danemayer

We purchased extended warranty from the dealer when we bought the rig.Is this something they will cover?
You'll have to check the fine print in the policy, but there's a pretty good chance that water damage and structural damage are excluded. Most policies are focused on mechanical breakdowns of an appliance, pump or motor.

micar

Well trailer is at the repair shop,conservative estimate of $1000 to fix!!!! $2000 extended warranty useless!!!.However if the slide mechanism ever fails and destroys the slide floor I am covered!!!!just not covered for poor material/construction!!!!
Mike

Same thing has happened on our 2011 Heartland NorthCountry slide out... The under carriage floor is ROTTEN! Why would they use this crap on their trailers. Doesn't make me want to buy another one. At.All (It's not even 2 years old).

mjf55

Same issue for me on my 2011 Trail Runner. I have had it only since Nov so it should be covered.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

micar

Interesting to note that no one from the factory chimes in on theses kind of things....i know they read these threads,guess they have nothing to say about shoddy materials and workmanship.
Mike

Dragoon

Our 2008 has this problem. Seems no improvements for several years, even though it's been reported via this forum. Emailed factory early on, sent us kit for repair. This just prolonged it until warranty is long over. We now have severe edge damage to plywood on front of main glide, such that the trim rail will not hold at the outside edge (screws are now useless). Haven't decided what we'll do yet. Since we are no where near a repair facility until fall, hope the glide will retract and extend several more times before we can get to some place to have it looked at. Best of luck to all, safe travels...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Strange that newer rigs are reporting the floor rot problem at the edges. I recall looking at HL's at a RV Show two years ago and they had angle trim covering the edges, unlike our older (2009) models. Either they've stopped doing it, or it's only done on certain model lines. It's the plywood edges getting soaked by rain water running down the side of the slide and wicking into the plys that's causing the damage. Several of us were made aware of the problem via this forum and took steps to prevent the damage before it occurred by either buying the trim from HL, using drip edge from Home Depot, or having it fabricated from coil stock (I did this). The black plastic strips from Parkland Plastics only provide a wear surface on the bottom and maybe cover some of the delamination/chipping, but don't do anything to prevent water intrusion from the edge.

micar

$865.85cdn and the trailer is fixed,thanks to the great guys at Carlson Sports in North Bay Ont.Pick it up tmrrw and will let you know if they have done anything different to protect the edge of the floor
Mike

micar

Trailer looks great...Trim extends past the edge of the floor to direct water away and they treated all the cut ends as well for extra protection.The Vinyl floor inside is trashed in one section unfortunately.
Mike