Slide Room Upper D-Seal Removed

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I do not know what you call it, maybe a seal, accross the top of the living room slide under the topper. We started out MOnday, on tuesday afternoon I noticed the seal sticking out from the slide, I was told I could not climb a ladder ( I was very dizzy from the concussion) so I just noticed it. Tuesday afternoon it looked to me like it was sticking out farther so I oootried to push it back, no luck ( no ladder). Wednesday afternoon it was really sticking out so I opened the awning and trapped it in the arms, by thrusday after noon it had a big bend in it.

I figure the slide is moving and pushing it out, I am home and Janina is busy so I got a ladder and went pushe it back into place.

My concern is why is it getting pushed out while driving withe the slide in.

I have checked the slide, closed tight all around.

I have tried to attach a picture, when I secured it with the awning it was flat against the wall.

Attachments

• IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 124

davebennington

Re: Slide bumper moved

I am not sure but it looks like the "D" seal has come out of the track. If I remember right there is a screw on both ends that hold it in place.

dave

jbeletti

I agree with Dave. The screw that was holding it in needs to be removed and the screw put back through the seal but in a different spot. I'd put a screw at both ends.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

When reinstalling the screw, you might want to put a washer under the head so it doesn't cut through the rubber, which it may have done here. Could have been driven in too hard and went right through.

jbeletti

When reinstalling the screw, you might want to put a washer under the head so it doesn't cut through the rubber, which it may have done here. Could have been driven in too hard and went right through.

Good idea John and yeah, over-tightening was the likely culprit. I've had it happen a couple times.

Chainsaw

Thanks, I have 2 questions
1. No holes what does this mean
2 Why would it move now after 4 summers of camping and 30ooo kms traveled? When it did not move before and what caused it to move while the slide is in the in position and not supposed to move?
I know more than 2 questions.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ours decided to start working out on our trip home from Goshen, dunno why. DH put it back in place and added screws/washers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Thanks, I have 2 questions
1. No holes what does this mean
2 Why would it move now after 4 summers of camping and 30ooo kms traveled? When it did not move before and what caused it to move while the slide is in the in position and not supposed to move?
I know more than 2 questions.

1. No Holes? Not sure what you mean here. I searched the thread and don't find the word "hole" other than your mention.
2. Only guess I have is that is the screws were put into the rubber too tightly, that the rubber was thereby stressed and integrity was lost at those 2 points (1 at each end). Then, over time and travel, the slide being a box set into the RV wall, jiggles a tiny bit. With the outer flange/fascia smashing that D-seal tight against the wall of the RV combined with maybe a tiny amout of jiggle when traveling - it contributed to cause the screws to be pulled the rest of the way through the seal. Just my guess.

Netem

My guess is he is saying he doesn't have holes for the screws.

wdk450

I've had mine pull holes through the screw head and small washers. I finally got a couple of flat mending plates and put them in with screws on each end of the seal. So far no more problems.

6462188.jpg

DougS

Doug S

I had the same problem with the seal on my slide after 9 months. While at the 2011 rally techs replaced the seal. They told me there were no screws at either end of the seal. After fix, all is well.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton

would crimping the seal track with maybe a punch and hammer to keep the seal from sliding work?

Chainsaw

1. No Holes? Not sure what you mean here. I searched the thread and don't find the word "hole" other than your mention.
2. Only guess I have is that is the screws were put into the rubber too tightly, that the rubber was thereby stressed and integrity was lost at those 2 points (1 at each end). Then, over time and travel, the slide being a box set into the RV wall, jiggles a tiny bit. With the outer flange/fascia smashing that D-seal tight against the wall of the RV combined with maybe a tiny amout of jiggle when traveling - it contributed to cause the screws to be pulled the rest of the way through the seal. Just my guess.

Hi Jim

I asked about holes because some one said that the factory places screws into the item to hold it in place, when I checked , ours had no holes so I presumed that no screws were ever put in.

This did happen after goshen, must be a problem with gouing to goshen, last time our living room slide feel out, now this.

Compared to everything else that happened, this is ver very minor.

I have placed a screw into one end and will h watch it.

Thanks everyone for the information.

jbeletti

Bill,

Your mending plate fix looks great. Probably a piece of plumbing strap would work too - though I'd paint them black to blend in and mward off rust.

Don and Doug,

Two of my RVs have had the D-seal slide forward on me. In both cases, there was a screw that had pulled through the flat side of the D seal. Don - hoping your single screw repair holds - through I'd still pin it at both ends. Maybe a quick call to Heartland (877-262-8032) tomorrow may get you the correct answer.

wdk450

Jim:
Thanks for the praise!
The mending plate is much stiffer than plumbing tape, so it works like a BIG, LONG washer with 4 screw holes (I think I only put in 2 screws in each plate at each end). To my thought, it is out of sight ( the seal lip pretty much covers it) so paint isn't much needed.

Maybe we could put a "bug in the ear" of manufacturing" about this improvement?