Slide Topper Material

Hunter11

We are getting ready to order and have installed slide toppers. I did not want the factory install units so we waited until we got home to decide what we want. We are leaning towards Carefree Ascent or the Slide Out Kover 3 but we are trying to decide what fabric to get. The options are Vinyl (Standard), Acrylic or Polyweave. Our past two units had vinyl slide toppers and they lasted about 5 to 6 years before needing to be replaced. I would appreciate any information anyone could give as far as how the Acrylic or Polyweave material would hold up compared to the standard vinyl.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I can't answer your question but maybe using a protectant like 303 or similar product will extend the life of the material. UV is a real killer to anything plastic or poly. If I had to guess the acrylic material might last longer. I think it's very similar to Sunbrella fabric.

Hunter11

Ray, thanks. I did use 303 on our old ones but man this hot Texas sun is hard on everything. I keep a gallon of 303 stored in the trailer and a spray bottle to use on everything. Right now we are leaning towards the acrylic. We have a mobile RV tech coming out next Monday so I am going to get his thoughts on it as well.

alethaj

We just purchased a 2015 3755 FL Big Horn....after taking posession of the unit we decided we wanted toppers on all 5 slides...Ordered them from Dealer...they called and we took the unit back in for installation and were told the shape of the slide outs was not condusive to toppers..soooo no toppers...they said the toppers would not drain....is my dealer full of it or what?

Tundra2084

Sounds like the dealer is full of it but, I don't own the same unit as yours. We had ours installed while in Florida after our dealer said they couldn't install ours on the door side slide, because of where the awning arm is located. I took pictures of that slide, sent them to a shop in Florida, and after discussing the different options we had we went ahead and got them installed. The only difference is the one slide topper closest to door is even with the frame, without the 2 inch overhang like the others. If we had to go without because one person said it couldn't be done, what a shame that would have been. We love the toppers and keeping the rain out of the unit when the slides come in is priceless.

jnbhobe

go see a different dealer he will take your money

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

alethaj

We just purchased a 2015 3755 FL Big Horn....after taking posession of the unit we decided we wanted toppers on all 5 slides...Ordered them from Dealer...they called and we took the unit back in for installation and were told the shape of the slide outs was not condusive to toppers..soooo no toppers...they said the toppers would not drain....is my dealer full of it or what?

Thank you for the input...my only problem is my dealer is the only dealer of a Big Horn for about 100 miles...may call Camper World or another dealer and see if they will install on a brand they don't carry...trust me...if it could be done I am sure they would have done them...they said the toppers would be stright out with no drop for rain to drip off...we would have to open and close the slides to drian the toppers...I am sooooo confused!!!

Westwind

If your confused STOP & do nothing! I have the factory Dometic awnings on mine, if I get 5-6 years out of mine I will be very very lucky. They were on the trailer so wasn't much I could do and at the time I was glad they were because I borrowed the money for the FW. If you asked me now I would highly recommend Sunbrella fabric. I didn't realize I could get it on the awnings at the time. I'm sure it will bump up the price but in the long run it they will last you longer and be cheaper in the long run.
My parents had it on their deck awning and it was still going strong when I sold the place last year, it was at least 16 years old. The dark green fabric hadn't faded at all and was in good shape. When I replace my fabric its Sunbrella!
As around for a place to install them on peoples recommendations that have used them to do work on theirs. There are independent places that do good work and will leave you satisfied. Sometimes we run into doing something to have it done or go with some firm out of frustration with the decision making and are sorry afterwards. I know I have, so take a deep breath.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The toppers on my three smaller ODS slides don't have a lot of pitch, but are taut and drain just fine. The one one the larger main slide does have a droop to it, but a simple support made from PVC pipe took care of that. They were installed by my dealer in early 2009 and have been left extended from early May to late September with no ill effects.

I have seen some rigs at the rallies that have toppers that look like hammocks. Sign of a poor installation.