Slide toppers

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I was up on a ladder pushing my D seal back into place on the top of the slide when I noticed that the top seal was not fully deploying. Seems slightly hung up. I am glad that the slide toppers are there for extra protection against the elements.

My D-seal ripped loose when I opened up our trailer while getting ready to go to the Arizona HOC Rally last month . . .

It only came off about 1/3 of the way across the slideout before I noticed it, so I was able to make it work until spring!

Are you coming to any of the Colorado HOC events this year?

teasac69

I certainly believe all the "favorable" comments made and realize the toppers have their benefits. If you are unsure about them or waiting until you find the best deal to add them later, may I suggest my approach for now? I used a folding ladder with no intent to climb up on top of them and I purchased a small electric leave blower that I use for lots of things but primarily for using to blow water, leaves, debris off the slide before I pull them in. I don't want to deal with all the water if it happens to have rained before I pull them in so I use it to blow that off as well. works well so far. I am certainly considering adding the toppers later but unsure of them at first.

JanAndBill

We bought ours without. About the 2nd trip out we camped next to and under a Cedar tree. The day we left it was pouring down rain so all we could do was bring in the slides and go. When we got home it took most of the day to "pick" and clean the Cedar needles out from under the seals. Took the trailer in and had toppers added before the next trip.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We bought ours without. About the 2nd trip out we camped next to and under a Cedar tree. The day we left it was pouring down rain so all we could do was bring in the slides and go. When we got home it took most of the day to "pick" and clean the Cedar needles out from under the seals. Took the trailer in and had toppers added before the next trip.

Last spring in Montana we had our pick of sites so I chose one next to the river. Well being an Easterner I had no clue but I soon found out one does NOT want to park under the cottonwoods in springtime!! Lots of sticky red blossoms on everything!! Still some stains on the BH roof a year later. Used GooBGone to clean the goop off the truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birchwood

If you have a Landmark don't be without the slide toppers.I am disappointed the are not already part of the package.

JohnD

Last spring in Montana we had our pick of sites so I chose one next to the river. Well being an Easterner I had no clue but I soon found out one does NOT want to park under the cottonwoods in springtime!! Lots of sticky red blossoms on everything!! Still some stains on the BH roof a year later. Used GooBGone to clean the goop off the truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, once you experience a strong wind you may change your mind about them!

brianlajoie

Are you coming to any of the Colorado HOC events this year?

We'll be at Cherry Creek, but not with the trailer. I also like the idea of the fall rally followed by the trip back to Amana Iowa for Octoberfest. The national rally is the big one for us this year.

JohnD

I certainly believe all the "favorable" comments made and realize the toppers have their benefits. If you are unsure about them or waiting until you find the best deal to add them later, may I suggest my approach for now? I used a folding ladder with no intent to climb up on top of them and I purchased a small electric leave blower that I use for lots of things but primarily for using to blow water, leaves, debris off the slide before I pull them in. I don't want to deal with all the water if it happens to have rained before I pull them in so I use it to blow that off as well. works well so far. I am certainly considering adding the toppers later but unsure of them at first.

When we were in Arizona back in January we moved around to several different RV parks . . . in all kinds of weather.

Twice I put the slide in with frost or snow on top of it.

Both times it was mostly brushed off when the slide came in, and what moisture that was left melted and ran out of the trailer through a trough on both sides of the slide on the floor of the trailer.

Not once did any of the moisture get on the carpet or affect anything inside of the trailer.

huntur

I agree with danemayer !
We had our last 5er with slide toppers 6 years no problems.
Wind can make them noisy.
The advantage is in, sun, rain, snow, & under trees.
What ever accumulates just rolls off.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We had them on our last 5er and so often we had to pull them in during strong winds, the trailer shook so bad. Our new trailer doesn't have them and so far we don't plan on putting them on. Doug

caissiel

Never had them for 21 years. Never needed them. Never will have any.
Its like all the other things that causes things to break or fail. I keep it simple less to worry about.

JanAndBill

To date we've been in some really strong straight line winds, that rocked the trailer. My concern throughout was not about the slide toppers (which survived), but that we were going to turn over. We've had the occasional problem with snow and ice build up on them.

AAdams

We had them on our first 5'er, a Landmark. They were noisy and flapped in the wind, puddled water in the longer slide out topper that drained all over the slide when we put the slide in. The Toyhauler we have now does not have them and we do not miss them. On the Bighorn we have on order we did not get them either and do not plan on getting them. Now as far as wind, the amount of noise will be determined by the direction of the wind the toppers are being hit at. Also the amount of damage caused by wind determined is the same way. We were in our Landmark we were hit by a F 0 once and were in another storm with 80 to 100 mph straight line winds (Some of the trees behind us sheared off just above the RV's roof and blew away from the rig). One topper of the 4 had a 2" tear in it, but it was noisy.

I think of it his way, if you have to climb to prop up the topper with a ball or other device to stop the wind, then what is the difference if I climb on the roof and sweep off the slide. Also, how do you clean and seal the rubber roof on the slide if the topper is in the way. Yes they will help keep the heat from the slide, which IS the worst insulated part of the coach. So it is really a toss up and a personal preference IMHO.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

We have been in winds as strong as 65 mph and then only affect was the noise the toppers made. That doesn't last forever and we would rather have the toppers than worry about falling off of a ladder trying to clean the top of the slide. But to each his own.

teasac69

One thought I had with the toppers is when the debris is blowing around, i.e. leaves, pine needles, do they get under the toppers? can you estimate that the topper saves 95%+/- of the junk that flies around. I know they gotta help with sun and rain although I guess some rain also blows under them??

danemayer

One thought I had with the toppers is when the debris is blowing around, i.e. leaves, pine needles, do they get under the toppers? can you estimate that the topper saves 95%+/- of the junk that flies around. I know they gotta help with sun and rain although I guess some rain also blows under them??

I'll occasionally get a little snow along the outside edges. It usually melts pretty quickly and has never been a problem. Never had any debris or rain problems.