Slide wood floor separating

wclark

Anyone have the wood floor separate (come out in pieces) from the underside of the slide. Noticed wood on carpet when the slide was out.
Looked under slide and the black plastic cover peeled off and the plywood is coming off in pieces . image1.jpg
Not sure how to fix.
Purchased April 2013 Bighorn 3585 5th wheel
Wendy

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Wendy, most of the time its water intrusion. It looks like it needs a new floor. Caulking must be checked at least 2 times a year and repaired/replaced on the whole coach.

wclark

Do you have any idea what caused it.?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes we check the rig more than twice a year. Everything's sealed. It does not appear to be water damage. The other slide has some of the black plastic sealant coming off also. Wood is perfectly dry.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless the plywood was not manufactured properly, the only way it delaminates like that is from water intrusion. It may feel dry now, but at some point it was not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whp4262

The wood used in the slide floors is not of the highest quality and it doesn't take much moisture to get the de lamination started. You might also have something like a screw sticking up that's scraping the bottom of the slide adding to the problem. The only way to fix it correctly is to remove the slide. The good news is the slide floors aren't horribly expensive but the bad news is the shipping costs as much if not more then the floors.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You have a 3585, which slide are we looking at?
If it is the entertainment/kitchen slide there are rollers that can cause some damage and unless taken care of will be the start of some serious damage.

Peace
Dave

wclark

It is on the sofa side and starting on the other side. Still waiting on Heartland to get back to me re problem.

OldTanker

I just found out I will need to replace the floor on the slide on our rig on the fridge side. Leak from the icemaker is the cause. I had hoped I caught it early enough to avoid damage. When I went to dump tanks I saw pieces of wood sticking out of the slide where it meets the wall of the trailer. Lots of bulges on the underside, it's trashed.

wclark

Problem is still on going. Heartland rep suggested putting a metal sheet under the slide floor. I guess he hasn't read all the posts from heartland owners with the same problem. Not water damage. Need a slide repair kit. They sell them. Should have them installed before the damage. Waiting on a reply from heartland on what the west coast rep thinks about this.

OldTanker

I have already had the issue examined. A piece of metal under the slide might get me to the shop but that's about it. The entire slide floor is delaminating under the fridge and towards the other end of the slide. I am just hoping that the floor on the main part of the trailer is still sound. We are waiting until after new years to get into the shop as Heartland is on a 2 week break and parts are unavailable until then. I'm having to file a claim under the RV insurance as the good sam extended warranty specifically excludes ANY wood repairs.

wclark

I called our extended warranty and as it's not mechanical but structural its not covered by warranty. But there is a Slide Out Floor Repair. order part # 26076 (as seen on other threads) called heartland and am waiting on a call back from them on the repair kit. They also did not know what I was talking about (repair kit) there computers were down and could not look up the part. I called again and was put to voice mail. I will try again.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I called our extended warranty and as it's not mechanical but structural its not covered by warranty. But there is a Slide Out Floor Repair. order part # 26076 (as seen on other threads) called heartland and am waiting on a call back from them on the repair kit. They also did not know what I was talking about (repair kit) there computers were down and could not look up the part. I called again and was put to voice mail. I will try again.

With whom is your extended warranty, if you don't mind sharing...

wclark

We purchased the extended warranty when we purchased the trailer through Rocky Mountain Rv It's called Portfolio : Administered by First Extended Service Corporation

wclark

Don't try calling Heartland there service rep was of no help. Sorry don't know about the product and systems are down until the 4th of January so I can't check on it. I asked him yesterday if he could talk to someone regarding the kit to see if it would work. Can not do I am the service rep. Really. Glad I'm not planning on going anywhere soon. I started all this before Christmas.

danemayer

Don't try calling Heartland there service rep was of no help. Sorry don't know about the product and systems are down until the 4th of January so I can't check on it. I asked him yesterday if he could talk to someone regarding the kit to see if it would work. Can not do I am the service rep. Really. Glad I'm not planning on going anywhere soon. I started all this before Christmas.

Call after the holidays and you can probably get the info you want.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless something has changed, the "repair kit" from Parkland (the supplier of the floor) consisted of some heavy plastic strips with PSA tape on them and some tubes of their "105" sealant/adhesive. Looking at their video, the sealant was to be used to fill in voids in the floor board, provided you had something left for it to adhere to. More suited to covering under floor gouging caused by rollers than repairing a water damaged delaminated floor, IMO. And it wasn't cheap, either.

I noticed some delamination of the main slide floor board on mine late last season. Even though I had covered the exposed edges along the sides of all slides with aluminum trim, the outer edge of the main slide, was still exposed under the wheel trim, near the forward corner. Noticed it when one of the trim screws was loose. Area is about 6 inches square, right in the corner. This spring, I'll pull up the carpet, drill some holes partially into it and slobber wood hardener into it and try to firm it up. Always something.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
All I'm going to say is this . . .

Extended warranties on an RV is a HUGE waste of money!

Ours left us stranded and on our own 1000 miles away from home earlier this year when we had a major breakdown with our previous 2013 Heartland trailer!

When we needed them most . . . which is what we thought we paid all that extra money for!

They did everything they could do to figure out how to squeak out of spending one penny on anything . . .

Don't waste your money and time on any extended warranty that your dealer tries to sell you . . .

They cover absolutely NOTHING!

End of story . . .

Sorry about all of the red . . . just trying to get your attention!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
By the way . . . can you tell by my above post that I don't believe in extended warranties that our dealers try to sell us?????