Slideouts are askew

Hamish

When we received delivery of our 2016 BH 3160EL the first time we retracted the opposing slide outs the off road side was so poorly centered it jammed hitting the ceiling fan. The dealer had to adjust the slide forward by more than an inch to get to operate properly. After taking the trailer out and working the slides we noted that the slides do not close uniformly flush against the sides of the trailer. Again we took the trailer in for adjustment. The shop told us they did the best they could but that the slide out was designed to close that way. The top of the slide out is so tight that the trim is bent out, while the bottom edge is out far enough to slide 4 fingers between the gasket and the side of the trailer. Is this normal? Are they not supposed to close flush to the trailer? Do I need to ask the factory?

galee78

Sure don't sound right to me. My slides are tight and even.
Have you looked at another rig like yours to see if they are the same?

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Just had my slides adjusted at Goshen by the real Pro's. Slides should be fairly even all the way around but the seal should not be more than about 80% compressed. Over compression will damage the rubber seals they explained to me. There are other variables that my cause some variation in compression also like LP lines for refer and other plumbing lines. Not all units are built 100% with seal compression to 80% in mind if you get my drift here. However the slides should for the most part be as even as possible and there should be some space between the edge of the slide fascia and the unit itself due to seal and its compression to about 80%. Also the slides will move in and out a bit awalkward since they are driven by a single hydralic ram from only one slide. This meaning as it pulls/pushes on the side it is mounted on it causes the opposite side to catch up resulting in a bit of a nosiey operation in and out. This is normal and just keep rams lubricated with a dry lube.

danemayer

Again we took the trailer in for adjustment. The shop told us they did the best they could but that the slide out was designed to close that way. The top of the slide out is so tight that the trim is bent out, while the bottom edge is out far enough to slide 4 fingers between the gasket and the side of the trailer. Is this normal? Are they not supposed to close flush to the trailer? Do I need to ask the factory?

Hi Hamish,

Take pictures and then call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Customer Service can give you advice and may be able to arrange for your dealer to get some technical direction to do the job right.

If you're actually in Illinois, you might ask about bringing the rig to the new Heartland Service Center in Elkhart. It's not that far and they'll certainly be able to get it right.