Slides are dead! WTH???

skyguy

Sooo, the other day we got ready to take our3670RL home, in preparation for a 5 day fishing trip north of Leadville, CO.

Everything stowed, one of the last steps is to bring in the slides... Hit the retract button, and NOTHING. What the heck? Worked fine for 4 years! Slides went out just fine when we last parked three weeks ago.

Finally got my brain in gear, and checked the breaker on the bus bar, located just below the hydraulic pump. AHA! Breaker dead. Since I had recently installed a new solar system, I had a couple extra cable ends from the new 2 ought battery - inverter cables I had built. One of those worked perfectly to temporarily bridge the two posts, and bring the slides in. Nothing got hot, no sparks flew, and we got the slides to retract A-OK!

After arriving at the stick and brick, I sat down and browsed the owners manual - this REMINDED me this could be a resettable breaker. On the side of the breaker, was a tiny little button. Pushed the button, heard a click, tried the slide activator button, and the slides were working! I wish a lot of fixes were that EZ.

I should mention, this is the first issue we have had with our Bighorn in about three years. We REALLY love our Bighorn 3670, it has performed well, and held up well, for the punishment we deal out! (Lots of rough dirt roads in our travels - if you want peace and quiet, you gotta travel to some isolated places.)

Last edited:

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
You have a relay strip (probably near your batteries) and one or more of those has a reset button on it. It is a small button on the side of the relay that you push to reset it. In addition to that, it is possible that a relay has just gone bad. If you have a multi-meter you can test them out and see which one is tripped and not working (if that is the problem). If it is one with a reset button then you just reset it. If not, they are really cheap and available at most auto parts stores.

Rod Ditrich

branson4020

Icantre Member
This is a production error on Heartland's part. That breaker should be auto-reset. The only manual reset breaker should be for the 50A circuit to the 12V fuse panel/converter.

skyguy

Bob K. - Actually one of my first posts after we picked up our Bighorn regarded the action of the slides. We were told during the PDI that when moving the slides in or out they would stop. Allow a moment or two, then push the slide button again, and they would continue in or out. I thought that strange, and posed the question to the forum.

Turned out, the factory had installed TWO breakers incorrectly on the bus bar! Originally, there was a 10 AMP breaker on the slide circuit. Heartland sent me the correct amperage breakers, I installed them and they have worked perfect up to now. After resetting the tripped slide breaker, it worked fine this last weekend.

I have no issue with auto or manual, as long as I remember this one is manual!

This was the ONLY assembly issue we have had with our Bighorn! It's a great RV!