Slides & Freezing Weather

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Quick question...Are there issues with the rubber slide seals/wipes when running the slides in freezing weather? This is a new issue for us as we never camp in freezing weather but our daughter is temporarily housed in our 5th in the driveway. I will need to haul the rig away every week or so to dump the tanks and I was wondering if the freezing temps would damage the seals if they are frozen to the slide roof or sides when I open/retract them?

caissiel

I try to move the slides on a warmest part of the day and the sun has hit the slide area. The rubber will surely be harder, but never put anything to allow the rubber on the slides to slide better. In the cold if no freezing rain the panels will mostly stay dry. But sweep the roofs early or right after snow fall to allow them to be dry when you move it. I am also in the RV here in the cold and choose a warm part of the day to dump and load fresh water. I don't keep any water hose connected to the RV, I keep filling the tank as needed and empty the hoses everytime and so far no problems.
A honey wagon could be usefull, if you could dump it in a cleanout. I have heard that a mecerater pump does wonders as you can pump it into a smaller drain.

danemayer

When we pulled out of Breckenridge, CO last February 10, we pulled the slides in on our Rushmore for the first time in 5 weeks. It was probably between 10 and 15 degrees that morning. No problems.

We have been told that in very cold weather, landing jacks and stabilizers can freeze to concrete after a while. I used small pieces of masonite to avoid that.