Soft floor at utilities access hatch

Gas20

I don't know exactly where to post this. When I was flushing my black tank I found wet and soft floor around the access hole where the cable and water hose come in to hook up to the RV. I have a 2011 Elkridge and it has a small cabinet area next to the off door belly access where the hook ups are. The small floor area around the access hole is damp and soft. I know it is from the unhooking of the fresh water hose and the flush out water hose hook up. We bought this unit used in April so the water damage was probaly going on before we bought it. I was wondering if anyone has had the same trouble and how hard of a fix it would be. I have felt around under there but haven't got under it yet.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Not knowing how the Elkridge trailers are constructed in the UDC area makes this a little hard to understand but if the floor of that area is a wood product and has softened due to water damage, you'll have to find the extent of the existing damage and remove the bad wooden section. It can be replaced with wood but make sure you do whatever it takes to protect the new area from further damage. Maybe drain holes are needed?
You might also check for any leakage behind the wall of the UDC.

Gas20

The access hole and area around it appears to be 3/4 inch press wood with some kind of covering on it that looks like artificial turf on it or under it. I just don't know if there is any wiring or water lines in this area. I think it can be cut out and replaced with a piece of treated ply wood then coated with some type of water repellant sealer. The inside is covered with a white laminate.

navyAZ1

I'm not sure of the location of all the equipment on the Elkridge, but on our Bighorn the water heater is just to the right of the UDC. I would empty the storage area and remove the access panels on the inside that would allow you to see back in that area. We had a small leak due to loose fittings on our water heater, and the hook up for the fresh water was a little loose also on the back side of the panel where it is mounted. It could be any number of things even a bad water line joint, but you'll never know until you gain access to that area where you can hopefully see just where it is coming from. It would seem that if that floor is "soft" to the touch that this problem has existed for quite some time. As it's been stated you'll need to locate the leak first and fix it, and then R&R any and all damaged flooring. Good Luck!

DonnyB007

Yes, definitely find the leak source first, then remove all the rotten stuff and replace with plywood. The manufacturers should do all floors with plywood. I think Jayco is the only manufacturer still using plywood in floors. Once you find the source if the leak, make sure it is fixed right - if you are not sure how to fix it, have a Plummer do it. It is a real pain doing R&R and expensive too.