SOLVED (check valve): No Water at Hot Water Taps

Birchwood

We have cold water at the taps but no water will run from the hot water taps.Water heater fills and water heats in tank and the tank is pressurized.Removed anode and cleaned tank but still no water.Anyone ever have this problem?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: No Water at Hot Water Taps

Strange, unless your bypass valves got bumped or the outside shower is on.

jbeletti

I'm also thinking the W/H is in bypass mode or the check valve on the output is fouled up.

DocFather

It might be that the Bypass Valve is closed as is the Hot water valve from the water heater since he is getting NO water at all on the hot spigots.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired

The outside shower valves being open wouldn't stop water from coming out of the faucets inside....the water just wouldn't be more than warm.
If any of the other scenarios is correct it's unlikely that the tank refilled after removing the anode. Without open faucets there would be no way for the air in the tank to vent. Let's hope you were running the heater with propane so you don't have to think about replacing an element.

Birchwood

The water heater is not in ByPass mode but I am thinking check valve also.Didn't dare remove it as its in a plastic nipple and if I break it off I may have no water period.

jbeletti

The water heater is not in ByPass mode but I am thinking check valve also.Didn't dare remove it as its in a plastic nipple and if I break it off I may have no water period.

I suggest that you remove the utility wall, crawl back there and use your hand to feel the temperature of the line coming out of the water heater. How far, if at all is the warmth going, past the water heater? This may confirm for you that the check valve is bad or that the problem is further down the line.

If you end up having to replace the check valve, you'll want to first determine if you have room to work on the water heater "in-place" or if you need to remove it to work on it. I had a 2009 Pinehurst and if I recall correctly, you may have decent access to it from behind the utility wall.

Before you tackle it, if needed, circle back here and ask for tips. Many of us have done it and can run through the list of parts, tools and steps for you. Best to tackle with a friend too :)

Birchwood

I suggest that you remove the utility wall, crawl back there and use your hand to feel the temperature of the line coming out of the water heater. How far, if at all is the warmth going, past the water heater? This may confirm for you that the check valve is bad or that the problem is further down the line.

If you end up having to replace the check valve, you'll want to first determine if you have room to work on the water heater "in-place" or if you need to remove it to work on it. I had a 2009 Pinehurst and if I recall correctly, you may have decent access to it from behind the utility wall.

Before you tackle it, if needed, circle back here and ask for tips. Many of us have done it and can run through the list of parts, tools and steps for you. Best to tackle with a friend too :)

I was back there and you are correct the hot water connection is right there in front of you.Actually removed the hot water line from the tank and could see the check valve and when I removed the line very little water run on the floor.

jbeletti

I was back there and you are correct the hot water connection is right there in front of you.Actually removed the hot water line from the tank and could see the check valve and when I removed the line very little water run on the floor.

You're brave to have removed the line while under pressure. Could have turned out badly.

Did you say you tried venting water manually through the pressure relieve valve on the outside of the water heater? If not, please try that for two reasons:
1. To make sure water flows out and continues to flow out (turn electric element off first)
2. To make sure it's making hot water

If yes to both, then sounds like you have a job on your hands. Do you have access to a Camping World or dealership parts department? Many of them will carry the Camco branded brass check valve. If not so equipped, you may need a short nipple. And trust me on this one, you will want a 1/2" pipe tap.

Most have found once the plastic check valve breaks off trying to back it out, that heating the remnants with a torch and picking out as much as you can, then chasing the threads, works best.

Last edited:

Birchwood

You're brave to have removed the line while under pressure. Could have turned out badly.

Did you say you tried venting water manually through the pressure relieve valve on the outside of the water heater? If not, please try that for two reasons:
1. To make sure water flows out and continues to flow out (turn electric element off first)
2. To make sure it's making hot water

If yes to both, then sounds like you have a job on your hands. Do you have access to a Camping World or dealership parts department? Many of them will carry the Camco branded brass check valve. If not so equipped, you may need a short nipple. And trust me on this one, you will want a 1/2" pipe tap.

Most have found once the plastic check valve breaks off trying to back it out, that heating the remnants with a torch and picking out as much as you can, then chasing the threads, works best.

When I removed the hot water line the tank was empty with the anode removed(I thoroughly cleaned the tank after the problem thinking calcium buildup may be the culprit).The tank water heater is working in the tank and the pressure release value seems to work fine.I have my RV guy dropping by today because as you say the plastic nipple will most likely break off upon removal.

Birchwood

Had our RV repairman repair our problem.It was the check valve at the hot water outlet.The valve in housed in a 3 inch plastic nipple that came apart and when that happens you get no flow from your hot water tank.He replaced it with a brass housed check valve and he said that would last longer.It was a half hour fix for him.

Birchwood

Thanks Jim The water pressure at the taps is higher now.Maybe the valve has been somewhat faulty for a while???