SOLVED (gear replacement): Bedroom Slide not working

Mullins

:cool: ...Just went out to the RV, Cyclone 3110,was going to get something out of the BR. and low and behold, BR slide does not extend. I have checked power to the switch, everything looks good. What I do not know is if there is a fuse between the switch and the motor.(I would not think so,but you never know) This thing just worked about 3 days ago, and now nothing. Can't even hear the motor twitching, nothing...the other two slides work perfect(hydraulic) I have check the fuses, breakers and tried to find the little reset switch; that I understand is on one of the connectors on the bus bar..I had three different people look, feel, and gaze; there is no reset.. Any ideas??:cool:

danemayer

Re: Bedroom Slide not working

Hi Mullins,

If the slide is hydraulic, the power goes through a 12V DC mini-circuit-breaker on the buss bar. It should be auto-reset variety. If other hydraulic slides are working, the breaker is doing its job and you have a charge on the battery. The switch would then be the prime suspect.

But the slide may be electric. On many of the electric slides, there are cables visible on the outside when the slide is extended. If it's electric, the fuse should be in the main fuse box. The LED indicator that lights up to identify a blown fuse will only light up if there's a load on the circuit; i.e. you have to check it while holding the switch.

It may also be helpful to remove the fuse and check it with an ohm meter.

Once again, the switch is a prime suspect.

Mullins

The slide is electric. I used the ohm meter on the switch and I got voltage when depressing the switch to extend and to retract. Since I really did not know which fuse it is, due to poor writing on the labels, I pulled every fuse and did a visual with a magnifying glass, none were broken then I did a continuity test across the fuses, still looked good. I hope you are right, that it is the switch.(easy fix) Taking it in tomorrow to have it check out further..

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bedroom Slide not working

Can you access the motor by raising the bed platform? You may have to remove the thin plywood sheet that's under it to get to it. I'm assuming the bed is similar to my hydraulic bed slide arrangement and the mechanism is under it. Check the connections at the motor to be sure they're intact and you have voltage at the motor. If it's just the switch, you should be able to short the terminals and get the motor to operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullins

The motor is above the slide and behind facia; I can see it, just can't get to it. The only way that I can get to the bed is going thru a window, and not really sure how to pop the emergency window from the outside. I wish I could get to the motor. :confused: Someone with better RV skills than I will have to figure out to get to the motor.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

The motor is above the slide and behind facia; I can see it, just can't get to it. The only way that I can get to the bed is going thru a window, and not really sure how to pop the emergency window from the outside. I wish I could get to the motor. :confused: Someone with better RV skills than I will have to figure out to get to the motor.

Sorry, it was a SWAG on my part. Some of the electric slides I saw during a factory tour had the motors at the bottom.

DaveTyler

Reading this and wondering what the outcome was? You guys need to finish the story?? Working on one myself. Thanks. Dave

Mullins

Ok, Here is the rest of the story! Heartland needs to get off their *** and be more proactive in getting the parts to the repair shop. It turned out to be the motor. Because Reno, NV does not have a Heartland dealer here, there is no priority with them. After about 2 weeks letting the repair shop and Heartland go back and forth with their stinking emails, I finally had to step in and get the ball rolling. Unbelievable of the crap and the process. Between emails and phone calls, heartland finally sent the part; 2-day ground, I insisted they overnight the part, it's almost she was not even listening to me.. Geezz! Overall 3 1/2 weeks to to get the part for a 2 hour fix! Heartland told me is was my fault that I chose a repair shop that was not a dealer, and I asked them, "what am I supposed to do, drive 330 miles to to Santa Rosa to get it fixed" Her response: that is not their problem, unbelievable. And that is the rest of the the story!! As Paul Harvey would say...

Kam0923

We are having an issue with our bedroom slide on our 2015 cyclone. Out of warranty for 3 months. Slide will move slightly but then starts to grind. Heartland says it is the motor. Any thoughts?

oscar

Ok, Here is the rest of the story! Heartland needs to get off their *** and be more proactive in getting the parts to the repair shop. It turned out to be the motor. Because Reno, NV does not have a Heartland dealer here, there is no priority with them. After about 2 weeks letting the repair shop and Heartland go back and forth with their stinking emails, I finally had to step in and get the ball rolling. Unbelievable of the crap and the process. Between emails and phone calls, heartland finally sent the part; 2-day ground, I insisted they overnight the part, it's almost she was not even listening to me.. Geezz! Overall 3 1/2 weeks to to get the part for a 2 hour fix! Heartland told me is was my fault that I chose a repair shop that was not a dealer, and I asked them, "what am I supposed to do, drive 330 miles to to Santa Rosa to get it fixed" Her response: that is not their problem, unbelievable. And that is the rest of the the story!! As Paul Harvey would say...

Shocking.......

danemayer

Sometimes when I would take our RV in for warranty work, I would wait while the work was done. So I got to see how other customers treated the service people. I saw many different approaches. Some people are polite. Some are demanding and confrontational. A few shout. Some even threaten.

In my brief observations, I don't think I ever saw anyone get anywhere with the service people by demanding, shouting or threatening. It was pretty obvious that the service people had gotten used to this type of approach and had developed a thick skin.

My own approach was to let them know that I knew I needed the help that they were providing. And so I always approached our interactions as a cooperative effort. I've also been that way in my interactions with Heartland, Dometic, Dexter, Lippert, Annod, Southco, RVLock, and others.

And even when someone has made a mistake that inconvenienced me, I didn't let them see me get upset. They already realized that they'd let me down. So I'd just ask them what could be done to move things along. Sometimes I would remind them of my plans and ask if they could do anything so that the plans wouldn't be disrupted. I might make suggestions, but I never demanded anything.

And even when they didn't execute perfectly, I made sure to thank them. And in the case of the local service team. I gave them a small tangible expression of thanks.

Those people have always been happy to talk to me, and always go out of their way to help me as much as is possible.

As I said, I've seen many different approaches. We each get to pick the approach we think will be most effective. If you're getting into arguments with people and you're not happy with your results, maybe you should try a different approach.

Mullins

First thought is that if the slide is moving just a little then grinding, I would almost be leaning towards something is binding within the slide teeth (lack of a better term). Not sure how Heartland came to the conclusion about the motor. I spoke to guy named Ron in their service and he tried to diagnose over the phone, he was almost 99% sure it was the switch. In my care it was the motor. Actually their were more folks out there/here that would have sworn to was the switch. I recommend taking it to a qualified repair shop, let them diagnose it. If it's the same motor as mine, see the attached. You can find them online for about $285.00. Not sure what Heartland wants..

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Mullins

Well, Got the motor installed in the RV, took it out once!! Came back home, cleaned it up, put all the slides back in; parked where we normally do, Leveled it, Low and behold, slide does not want to work again.. (This stuff is kill'n me here..) as it turns out it is the gearbox this time, and yes, sort of a nose bleed to get Heartland to send me a new one. It's on its way, so we should be back on the road shortly..

Kam0923

So we found out our issue was the gear box as well. They sent us the motor and gears, which did not match (pin didn't fit). Just replaced the gears and slide works. Took the old gears apart and half the teeth were missing. Shouldn't happen to a 16 month old camper. Never had the slide out without being level. Old gears always thumped, new ones do not.