SOLVED: Half is on 12 volt and half is on AC current?

dplantz

2010 M21 Edge and I am a brand new owner, just picked it up this past weekend.

I noticed my lights were dim so checked into it and my GFI outlet had tripped where it was connected to 110. Fixed that and now the camper interior lights seem to be operating on 12 volt. But the camper AC works, the Microwave works, and TV comes on.

I am "assumming" that the converter " auto-senses" when it is plugged into AC current? At least I dont see any way for me to switch it back and forth.

I checked all breakers and if fuses are blown the orange light comes on right?

What gives?

danemayer

Re: Half is on 12 volt and half is on AC current?

Hi dplantz,

The Power Converter converts 110V to 12V to keep the battery charged and help run the 12V systems. If its 110V circuit breaker has tripped, or a Power Converter internal fuse has blown, or the converter has failed, the 12V lights will be running off the battery until the charge is depleted. I don't know about the Edge, but on many coaches, there is also a 12V automotive style circuit breaker that can interrupt the power from the converter to the 12V systems, leaving the battery to run down.

If you have a multimeter, check the battery voltage while plugged into shore power. You should have over 13V. If you're at 12V or less, the battery is not getting output from the Power Converter. If this is the case, check the 110V circuit breaker first. Flip it off and on. If that doesn't fix it, look for the 12V circuit breaker, which would probably be near the battery. I've attached a picture. There's a teeny-tiny reset button on one end. If you find it and press the reset button but it doesn't help, the next step would be to locate the Power Converter and check that it's plugged in. If so, check the Power Converter fuses. If they're ok, and you've checked all these things out, but the voltage at the battery is 12V or less, your converter is probably bad. If it's from Progressive, and you're out of warranty, you may be able to get a trade-in price on a replacement.

Attachments

• circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 35

evolvingpowercat

Hi, I have an Edge M21. All the lights are 12 volt bulbs. Other things on 12 volts include the slide out motor, the bath exhaust fan, the monitor panel, the electronic ignitor on the Hot Water Heater and the Furnace, and the TV antenna amplifier. The fridge is tri mode - but for fridge to run on propane it has to have 12 volts to run the ignitor and control board. Other things on 12 volts - the carbon monoxide detector below the fuse panel, the Jensen built in stereo, and a feed to the trailer brake break-away switch.

There is a 55 Amp output 120 volt to 12 volt converter that will power all that stuff and also charge the battery. When "boondocking" without 120 volt power the battery mounted in front on the tongue provides the 12 volt power.

The 120 volt breakers don't light anything when they trip but it is obvious when they trip the handle moves towards the "off" position. Push all the way to off then back to on to reset.

There is a red blown fuse indicator next to each 12 volt fuse, that is there to help you figure out if a fuse is blown or not. There has to be a load on the 12 volt circuit for the fuse to light and good 12 volts going to the fuse panel. There are also two 40 amp main 12 volt fuses one to protect against connecting your battery backwards and one to protect the converter.

Hope this helps.

dplantz

Well I have pretty much checked everything out. As for the tiny reset button see a picture of what I seen:IMGP2989.jpg
I did not tear off the red boot, but I stopped when I seen I had 3 vs the one only you showed. All the 110 outlets work, Only thing I can say that happenned weird is I played a DVD in it the first nite we had it and now I cannot get it to eject. And the unit wont turn on anymore. When I tried to eject it the first time the unit's lights flashed off and on the DVD wont eject and now they do nothing

dplantz

Well I went back out and the first one in the line actually did have a small reset switch. I tripped it and Ka-Ching! It is working now! So, next question is, what makes these trip?

wdk450

Well I went back out and the first one in the line actually did have a small reset switch. I tripped it and Ka-Ching! It is working now! So, next question is, what makes these trip?

I would think it would be either a current surge on the bus bar side (not on the fusepanel side) of the 12 volt circuit. Maybe the simple act of connecting a battery while the trailer was plugged in and the converter ON. Or maybe an intermittent short to ground between the converter 12 volt breaker and the fusepanel.
This is a 50 amp circuit breaker (and the usual installed converter can put out up to 60 amps) with the usual time delay factor that most circuit breakers have. So unless it was mechanically jarred enough to trip it, it would take quite a big electrical surge to trip it. None of the other breakers on the bus bar seem to trip anywhere as near often as this one is reported to. This breaker tripping has happened to more than a few people who have posted on this forum, with no definite cause ever posted.

danemayer

The combination of a DVD player failure coincident with this breaker tripping suggests a possible problem with power coming into the rig. It's not uncommon to have campground pedestal problems. Many of us use electrical management systems/surge protectors that protect the stuff in the coach from external electrical problems.

dplantz

ATF: Edge - Electrical issue

Just bought my 2012 M21 Edge 2 weeks ago.
Noticed the lights were not operating on 110 volts.
Checked all fuses, and thru elsewhere on this forum discovered that there is a reset button on the junction closest to the battery. see pic
So, I reset it and it started working. One week later it was blown again. This time I went out and the reset switch seemed to kinda crumble when I pushed it in, so off to the RV place and I replaced it. The guy at the RV place told me it was kinda strange as the old one was a 24volt one...? He sold me a 12volt one. Anyway replaced it this morning and still no 110 lights, only 12 volt lights.
I have reset all the breakers and fuses look ok

What next?

Attachments

• IMGP2989.jpg
    IMGP2989.jpg
    791.7 KB · Views: 49

TXTiger

Re: Im back, still having interior light issues

Not sure but I think the lights run on 12v only. I know that the microwave and television only run on 110v (shore power or generator) and the radio runs on 12v only. Call customer service and ask them. Have your vin number ready.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

The only 120 volt items in you rig should be the appliances and receptacles.
What 120 volt lights are you referring to?

Peace
Dave

dplantz

Happen to have the customer service number handy? And will they talk to me when I am the 3rd owner of a 21010 model Edge?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I am sure they will talk to you.
But your question can most likely be answered here with the propper information.
What 120 volt lights are you refering to?
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030
Have you VIN handy.

Peace
Dave

dplantz

Referring to my overhead lights in ceilings and over my bed. They currently turn on, but are very dim, so assumming that is running off the 12 volts only. When it was working and unti was plugged into my garage AC plug, they shined very brightly, so assumming that is the 110 side.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

The lights over you bed are 12 volts.
If you plug you rig into the 120 outlet in you garage an they shine brightly then you may have a problem with charging.
You may have a bad battery or converter. Or some blown fuses.
You need do a little trouble shooting.
With the rig plugged in, take your multimeter and check the voltage at the battery. It should be 13+ volts.
If it is the your battery may be bad. Take it in and have it tested.
If you do not see 13+ volts, then there could be a problem with the converter.
Check to see if it is plugged in. Then look it over for some fuses. Check them.
Over all it just sounds like the battery is bad or not being charged.
Let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

RuralPastor

Referring to my overhead lights in ceilings and over my bed. They currently turn on, but are very dim, so assumming that is running off the 12 volts only. When it was working and unti was plugged into my garage AC plug, they shined very brightly, so assumming that is the 110 side.

That sounds like a bad battery. When plugged into the AC, the light operate off the converter (hence: bright). When disconnected, they operate off the battery (hence: dim). Measure your battery voltage when plugged in, and then again when unplugged. You'll see the difference. If so, have the battery replaced.

dplantz

Well I went out and with power cord plugged in it measures 6 volts! Unplugged AC power, measured straight from battery and it still measures 6 volts. Issue is the previous owner bought me a new battery at Wall Mart... It is a deep cycle marine battery that was purchased 11-13-2012? Think it could just be a bogus battery from good old Wally Mart?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Like the RuralPastor said, if your lights are bright when pluggged in, the the converter must be working.
Strange though that you only show 6 volts when plugged in. Were the lights bright when you did the test?
Was your meter set for DV voltage?
Have the battery tested.

Peace
Dave

RuralPastor

Well I went out and with power cord plugged in it measures 6 volts! Unplugged AC power, measured straight from battery and it still measures 6 volts. Issue is the previous owner bought me a new battery at Wall Mart... It is a deep cycle marine battery that was purchased 11-13-2012? Think it could just be a bogus battery from good old Wally Mart?
I am suspicious of the converter, not the battery at this point. I would agree with Cookie that you should be seeing 13.7 volts across the battery with the power plugged in. Check something first: Make sure the breaker that feeds the converter is ON. I am guessing it is because you mentioned that the lights are bright when the AC is on (which means they're running off the converter).

dplantz

Ok I reset all the breakers this morning, and currently I have the 110 dosconnected and am charging the battery. As soon as I plugged in the battery chager I went in and tested the lights and they were bright as could be, just on the battery while charging. Si I am starting to suspect that it is a fault somewhere between the converter ( or the converter is bad) and the battery and something is slowly draining the battery