SOLVED - Need a lug nut!

navyAZ1

HELP!!!! Anyone know where I might find a lug nut for our Big Country, or a place that could tap it out to fix the messed up threads? We are in the Gainesville, GA area our Son repacked our bearings and when starting the "last" lug nut it cross threaded. We are leaving Thursday for the SC rally and really need this lug nut. Any help y'all could give is appreciated!

Ron

jimtoo

Re: Need a lug nut!

Any Tractor Supply or almost any place that does suspension work should have nuts.

Jim M

Thread moved to better area also.

wdk450

When I worked in my dad's auto parts store 50 years ago, they had different sizes of loose lug nuts in the metal specialty parts drawers. I would take a nut sample to a good auto parts store in your area. The same store might have the right sized die to rethread the stud, or if the stud can be pressed out and back on with the axle in place, we also used to have a supply of wheel studs (pre-threaded). Again, a live sample is the best thing to take to get the right part.

I would think that re-threading a wheel stud might be dicey in the long term retention and torquing down of the nut. You may have to pull the entire axle end and have a machinist hydraulically press the old stud off and a new one on.

Good luck!!!

danemayer

The guy who repacked my bearings last time had an assistant who managed to break one of the studs. Dexter uses an oddly shaped stud and I couldn't find a replacement anywhere in Tyler, Texas, so I had to get a replacement from Dexter. With the hub off, the old stud came out pretty easily. The new one took a little patience to get fully seated.

If the threads on the stud are damaged, you might need to plan on replacing that as well as the lug nut. But if the damage is not too bad, perhaps you can get the new lug nut on now and replace the stud in a week or two.

navyAZ1

Yea!!!!! All is well, we found a machine shop that was able to re-tap the nut. The threads on the stud are fine is was just the nut that was cross threaded. However, got put out a "atta-boy" for Heartland customer service, they were ready to over night a new nut to us if needed.

Thanks All,
Ron

Bogie

Glad it was an easy fix.

When I was ten years old, my uncle who was a mechanic, taught me to always start a nut or bolt by hand. He told me that if I couldn't get it well started with little or no resistance, something was wrong. "Back if off and check it" he would always say. I have never cross threaded a nut or bolt because of his advice. I just cringe when I watch some young tire jockey at a tire store start a nut with an impact gun (not saying your son did that). But, anything more than mild resistance is a warning sign. :(

I have never had to even think about it on my Sundance, but did have to replace a stud once on my truck because of the above mentioned tire jockey. Pounding out a stripped stud and putting in a new one is not a hard fix as long as you can find the right replacement.

donr827

Glad it was an easy fix.

When I was ten years old, my uncle who was a mechanic, taught me to always start a nut or bolt by hand. He told me that if I couldn't get it well started with little or no resistance, something was wrong. "Back if off and check it" he would always say. I have never cross threaded a nut or bolt because of his advice. I just cringe when I watch some young tire jockey at a tire store start a nut with an impact gun (not saying your son did that). But, anything more than mild resistance is a warning sign. :(

I have never had to even think about it on my Sundance, but did have to replace a stud once on my truck because of the above mentioned tire jockey. Pounding out a stripped stud and putting in a new one is not a hard fix as long as you can find the right replacement.

X2
Don