SOLVED: Norcold no 12V, no cold

fidhleir

We arrived in camp and connected to shore power. The fridge switched from Auto LP to Auto AC as it should. About an hour later we noticed the display was off and no light inside. The fridge won't start. Checked the fuse. It's not blown but when I pulled it, the indicator LED didn't come on so I'm assuming there's no 12V. We have about $200 worth of food that we're going to lose tonight unless someone can help. I don't know where else to look. I'll call in the morning but by then the food will be gone.

We've had our new Bighorn since February and it's been a continuous nightmare of failures. We just got it back after it's 4th service visit for multiple problems. I'm not a happy camper

jimtoo

Re: Norcold no 12V, no cold

Did you check all the little 12v breakers near the battery? May have a reset on a couple of them that is very small. Don't know if any could be problem, but it is easy check. Do you have volt meter or 12v test light to help with tracing?

fidhleir

Jim,

I'm not familiar with any 12V breakers; just the 12V fuses and 120V breakers inside the coach. Are the 12V breakers on the bulkhead behind the batteries? Is there a specific breaker for the fridge circuit as other 12V things are working.

jimtoo

Don't know of a specific breaker, but some have a tiny reset button on the end... also... check the GFI outlet/plug usually found in the bathroom.

danemayer

If the frig doesn't work on either LP or 120V AC, the common element is the 12V DC power to the refrigerator control board.

If you pulled the fuse for the refrigerator and the LED didn't come on, either there's absolutely no 12V power to the fusebox, in which case other things light lights would not work, or there's no load on that circuit.

Remove the outside louvered vent panel and look for fuses on the refrigerator control board.

fidhleir

Turned out to be a disconnected wire on the back side of the main fuse panel to the refrigerator fuse. So, as you said, no 12V to the fridge. That's not the first time we've had something not connected or poorly connected from the factory on this rig and I'm becoming very concerned that it won't be the last.