SOLVED: Residential Fridge problem

Jim.Allison

Re: Inverter for fridge problem

This is amazing, I hope that Heartland is realizing that they are either taking delivery on bad inverters or something is happening to them during installation.

jbeletti

I am scheduled to take delivery of a 2015 Landmark on Wednesday of this week. I stopped by the dealership to order some general parts in advance of delivery. While I was there I had a look at our Key Largo. I decided to start the fridge from room temperature using the inverter and 2 new batteries.
Low and behold the inverter failed within 60 seconds! I gave it time to reset and attempted a restart - it failed again...

Adam - it's possible that your LM was sitting at a transport company lot where we did not get access to in order to swap out the inverter with one that had been reflashed. Some finished goods had been picked up from Heartland for delivery and then sat for weeks at transport company lots. From what I have read and have been told, the reflashed units are performing well.

jimpav

Jim A. I share your sentiments on the plastic cheap fan in the bathroon, but did you happen to notice if your beautiful bathroom sink faucet is also made of "cheap plastic"? Ours is. I was made aware of this by my real (not plastic) wife the other day!!!!

adam

Thanks Jim for the input about the transportation issue. At the end of the day I acknowledge that an inverter isn't the most expensive thing on a coach and can easily be swopped out. The responsibility to have them fixed though does rely on shared input between the manufacturer and the selling dealer. One would assume that the affected serial numbers on the "faulty" inverters are on file and that they know which VIN's the inverters are in?
This could be a easy fix before these units ever make it out to the end user especially since this is a well known fault. JMHO.

Adam.

jbeletti

Adam - I agree on the manufacturer to dealer communications comment. It's key to a great end-user experience. It can always be better. I believe units that were in our dispatch lot were taken care of. Once a transport company grabs a unit though, it's much harder to swap the inverter in the field before delivery to the dealer. Kudos to you for checking this before you picked up your unit.

Jim.Allison

Did I say something about the bathroom fan? I may have, i just don't remember. I have a Big Country and really I love it and have not found many flaws in it. My bath fan requires a turn or turn and a half to open, then a switch to turn it on. Its a simple device for sure. As far a quality I can't really state because I would not know a good one from a bad one. I have noticed the motor is quite small, but it seems to be effective. But my rig came with TowMax tires which diverted my attention from little things.

I would ask opinions on bathroom fans because I use it more than any other device that came with the rig. We start that fan before we shower and then let it run quite a while after to remove moisture. So yes the question is how long will that last? Should I think about replacing it? Is there a better alternative?

Jim A. I share your sentiments on the plastic cheap fan in the bathroon, but did you happen to notice if your beautiful bathroom sink faucet is also made of "cheap plastic"? Ours is. I was made aware of this by my real (not plastic) wife the other day!!!!

adam

Not to sidetrack the inverter/fridge thread - but regarding the small fan;

I have a lovely wife and 2 young teenage daughters. And that little loud fan doesn't stand a chance removing the mositure that their lonnnnnnnng showers would generate. A quality high volume fan is a must in our unit.

Adam

jimpav

Did I say something about the bathroom fan? I may have, i just don't remember. I have a Big Country and really I love it and have not found many flaws in it. My bath fan requires a turn or turn and a half to open, then a switch to turn it on. Its a simple device for sure. As far a quality I can't really state because I would not know a good one from a bad one. I have noticed the motor is quite small, but it seems to be effective. But my rig came with TowMax tires which diverted my attention from little things.

I would ask opinions on bathroom fans because I use it more than any other device that came with the rig. We start that fan before we shower and then let it run quite a while after to remove moisture. So yes the question is how long will that last? Should I think about replacing it? Is there a better alternative?

This is the fan that I replaced my former plastic propeller with: Heng's 90043-CR Vortex 12 volt....$46.99 @ Amazon. Worked great.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

The Vortex works great. A little loud, but it sure pulls the heat, humidity, and odors out in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Maybe we can get this thread back on track talking about the Inverter for the Fridge.

porthole

Retired

What it the Volt reading of your batts?

When your inverter draws the batt below 12v (or a set voltage) it thinks the battery is dead so your inverter quits. Fully charge your battery to 13.4 v. Then see what happens.

2.1 volts per cell - 12.6 fully charged.
13.8 volts is typical for an automotive type battery charge rate.

Jim.Allison

Maybe in Mexico 12.6 is 100% charged. LOL.

The quote is based on my personal experience with Trojan batteries. I push mine to about 14.8 on a daily basis, float them at 13.5 and expect them to be at 13.1 when I get ready to draw off them. So when I mentioned 13.4, I was not kidding. The progressive is a 4 step charger and is capable of charging the trojans this way. Especially when you install the remote which is available from progressive.

12.6v is 88% charged for Trojans, and nowhere is 12.6 considered fully charged for any battery we use.

Your 2.1 per cell reference is actually 2.12, 2.15, 2.2 or somewhere in that area, which really puts you correct 2.15 X 6=12.9v as fully charged or 2.12X6=12.72 as fully charged or perhaps 2.13 per cell. There is a lot of energy in .01v so you must not discount them. Actually 12.77 is considered 100% nominal for most batteries.

This will become a more critical subject when all these batteries start going bad because they are being cycled past 50% capacity trying to run a residential refrigerator off of an inverter. Of course we know it is an inverter issue at this point, but soon it will be a battery, and battery charging issue.

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.

2.1 volts per cell - 12.6 fully charged.
13.8 volts is typical for an automotive type battery charge rate.

porthole

Retired

2.122 = 12.73, Trojan, doesn't matter how many cells.
2.1 is "rounded" and much easier to understand the 2.1 x 6 = 12.6 opposed to 2.1 x 6 = 12.73

And with that

flag.gif

HooDad

Adam - it's possible that your LM was sitting at a transport company lot where we did not get access to in order to swap out the inverter with one that had been reflashed. Some finished goods had been picked up from Heartland for delivery and then sat for weeks at transport company lots. From what I have read and have been told, the reflashed units are performing well.

How can I tell if my 3160 EL (with the residential refrigerator) inverter has been redone? I have not picked the unit up yet, but I believe it was manufactured this past May.

jbeletti

How can I tell if my 3160 EL (with the residential refrigerator) inverter has been redone? I have not picked the unit up yet, but I believe it was manufactured this past May.

Sorry but I'm not sure other than usage and calling Heartland (877-262-8032).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

InvrtdHD

New owner here. I just picked up a 2015 Bighorn 3875FB with the residential fridge option manufactured in July 2014. I have been reading the various threads on this subject with interest. I wanted to let everyone know I think the factory has the issue resolved. My RV came with a Thermo-King 1800W MSW inverter. I tested the problem by turning on the inverter on a hot Phoenix day. Refer indicated 95 degrees on both sides. I could hear the compressor kick in and no faults. I let the system run about 30 minutes. I could see the temperature dropping on the displays with no issues.

Another new owner here. Just trying to confirm what the factory passed on to my dealer today. I am taking possession of a 2015 4100 King on Monday and wanted to know if this issue had been addressed before I receive the rig. Factory supposedly told dealer that since my unit rolled off assembly line in late August that they have replaced previous model of fridge with a new one that works well within the specs of the inverter. This is the first i have heard this explanation. Previously, Heartland was upgrading the inverters. Can anyone confirm or deny this claim?

thanks,
Rod

danemayer

Another new owner here. Just trying to confirm what the factory passed on to my dealer today. I am taking possession of a 2015 4100 King on Monday and wanted to know if this issue had been addressed before I receive the rig. Factory supposedly told dealer that since my unit rolled off assembly line in late August that they have replaced previous model of fridge with a new one that works well within the specs of the inverter. This is the first i have heard this explanation. Previously, Heartland was upgrading the inverters. Can anyone confirm or deny this claim?

thanks,
Rod

Hi Rod,

The problem with the inverter showed up because of a change to the Frigidaire refrigerator. The inverters were given new firmware to handle the increased startup of the new compressor. Around the same time, Heartland began using a Samsung and a third brand of residential refrigerator. I think the brand usage may vary by model.

You could search the forum for just when the inverter firmware was introduced, but I think the problem was resolved early enough that your late August build should be fine - whether by way of inverter firmware, different frig, or both.