SOLVED: Satellite TV Hookup question?

JLN

Re: Satellite TV Hookup question?

Nathan,

Thank you for the detailed explanation! I am a new owner of a Trail Runner 30USBH and was looking for a solution to the satellite feed problem. The word 'satellite' is thrown around loosely in all the descriptions of campers which we know will not work on a single line setup as is.

Could you let me know exactly what I need for the diplexer? Do they come in different ratings, or frequency ranges, etc?

Would you also know if there is room behind the wall plate for the added part and jumpers? I have the center console with the swivel TV stand.

Many thanks!
Jeff

danemayer

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find a lot of useful information here along with a bunch of friendly people who are willing to share their knowledge and experience.

I expect you'll get an anwer to your question shortly.

JLN

Friends,

The diplexer idea also worked very well for me too and I thank you all for the help through this forum! I was watching Directv in the camper just this past weekend and it worked well, although I will not be able to test a park cable input for awhile since my seasonal campground does not have cable. One thing that was frustrating to see when I removed the cable jack plate was that the "satellite" input jack actually had NO cable connected to it at all. Gee, I had no chance of a signal from the start!...and I was told that jack was the "satellite" input.

One further question for you all. I wired up the diplexer as described here and it does work well. I also get a very good antenna signal to the rear TV but...when I try to connect a cable from the forward TV directly to the powered antenna jack up forward, I get no signal. Can anyone explain? I would like to maintain the antenna signal at both locations if possible. (I know I just want everything!)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

you may want to verify the connections on the antenna switch/amplifier plate are correctly routed and connected. I had found a couple connections reversed and after replacing the connectors and correctly wiring the amplifier, signal was good at both for me.

mobean

Nathan, Can you post those pictures again on facebook? I can't get to them. I'm in the process of trying to set up a dish connection on a new rv. Thanks, Maureen

PeternLiane

Nathan, can you post your pics on this website. That way we can see them. facebook is not letting the pics be seen.

danemayer

So, this kind of setup means that you can also connect a 2nd tv and watch different channels????
Hi comanchee,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm not sure that's what the diagram is showing. Hopefully Silverado23 will see your question and respond.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/41494-Coaxial-hook-up-issues

try this link or search the forums for diplexer. If your still having problems discribe the problem and I can help.

Is a 2013 Wilderness 2750RL wired for satellite? The outside connection doesn't specify "Cable"?

I called the dealership where I bought and the best answer I got was "I think so, plug it in and try it?

danemayer

Is a 2013 Wilderness 2750RL wired for satellite? The outside connection doesn't specify "Cable"?

I called the dealership where I bought and the best answer I got was "I think so, plug it in and try it?
Hi Tarheel0312,

If you have a single coax connector outside, it's probably for cable. The typical wiring is that the cable coax and rooftop antenna coax come together at the Signal Booster. ON for TV, OFF for cable. Unfortunately, satellite signals don't usually get through the signal booster, so it's not likely to work.

One solution is to split the cable signal before it gets to the signal booster and add an inside connection to use for satellite.

danemayer

Thanks danemayer, is it possible to unhook the booster since I'm sure I'll never use the antenna?
You could disconnect the cable input and the output wires from the signal booster and use a barrel connector (male-to-male) to connect them to one another. You may have to experiment to figure out which input is from the cable connection.

RVNEWBIE

here is what I did on our 30RKDD. Take the cover off where the booster is. Identify the color of the wire coming from the outside port. Mine was white. Disconnect it from the booster, drill a hole in the plate and put in a "coupler". Attach the wire going from the outside to the coupler and reattach the booster to position. hook up a coax from the other side of the coupler to the input on the receiver. Then disconnect the tv from the booster and connect to the tv out on the receiver. When you attach your satellite to the outside, you WILL have signal to the receiver and get sat tv signal. IF you want to or have to have antenna signal, you will have to disconnect the tv from the sat receiver and screw it back onto the output at the booster. If you have a second tv in the bedroom, it will not effect it for receiving regular antenna signal, but also you will not have sat signal there without some more creative wiring. Sorry I do not have a schematic for what I did, but it is really very simple. All you are doing is disconnecting the incoming line from the camper "cable" and using it for the sat line. The coupling just makes it where you can do and undo connections easier. Good Luck. Joe

jaeschke5

Can anyone tell me how to get the satelite to work in bedroom I have a 2014 cyclone 3800. The bedroom has 2 outlets on ceiling one for sat one for cable, I plugged coax into sat one hooked to TV and got nothing. I have. The tailgater and this will only feed one receiver. Please, help..

danemayer

Can anyone tell me how to get the satelite to work in bedroom I have a 2014 cyclone 3800. The bedroom has 2 outlets on ceiling one for sat one for cable, I plugged coax into sat one hooked to TV and got nothing. I have. The tailgater and this will only feed one receiver. Please, help..
Hi jaeschke5,

The bedroom connection has an entry point in the UDC (if you have one), or somewhere on the exterior of the trailer. The satellite dish has to be hooked up to that exterior connection. Also, a receiver has to be in between the bedroom connection and the TV. Sounds like your Tailgater won't let you have 2 receivers, so if you also have one in the living room, you may need a different approach.

If you have a receiver in the living room, and want to watch the output of that receiver on 2 TVs, you have to get a signal from the living room receiver to the bedroom TV. Some people have used the Cable/Antenna connections. Others have added a wireless transmitter/receiver. If your receiver has a coax output, you can hook that into the Cable/Antenna connector in the living room, and the signal should get to the bedroom Cable/Antenna connector. The antenna signal booster will need to be OFF. If the receiver doesn't have coax output, you may have to get a wireless setup.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

You may want to take the wallplate off and verify that you have a cable connected on the back side of the plate.