SOLVED: Slides won't work (both electrical and hydraulic)

SeattleLion

Yesterday, we went out to check on our 3160. All was dry and the power was connected (AC). However, when I tried to extend either slide, the switches did nothing. Since the bedroom slide is electric and the livingroom/kitchen slides are hydraulic, the problem has to be electrical (I think). I checked and the lighting and heat work, so there is DC. Since it was cold and rainy, we didn't probe further. We have 2 batteries that are almost 2 years old. The battery indicator shows F (meaning charging is working). Any thoughts on next steps?

Thanks,
Bob

danemayer

Re: Slides won't work (both electrical and hydraulic)

Hi Bob,

Your battery indicator in the control panel is showing you the Power Converter output when connected to shore power. And the inside lights and furnace will run off the 12V supplied by the Power Converter when connected to shore power.

The hydraulics and likely also the electric slide are higher current devices that get powered from a buss bar/12V DC mini-circuit breakers that are powered by the batteries.

One of the 12V DC mini-breakers on that buss bar connects to the Power Converter and Fuse Box, which allows you to run the lights and furnace from your batteries, and also lets the Power Converter charge the batteries.

It sounds like the breaker has tripped and your batteries are depleted. I've attached pictures of the circuit breaker with teeny-tiny reset button, and the buss bar/breakers. Yours are likely covered by a red rubber boot.

If that doesn't take care of it, take a look at our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide for more help.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 66
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 53

donr827

I think that Dan has it correct as usual.
Don

SeattleLion

Thanks Dan. I will have to wait until the weekend to check this out. It gets dark too early to do it after work. Why would the breaker pop? There was no load on the battery. The trailer is just sitting on our side lawn with AC power connected.

Thanks
Bob

danemayer

Thanks Dan. I will have to wait until the weekend to check this out. It gets dark too early to do it after work. Why would the breaker pop? There was no load on the battery. The trailer is just sitting on our side lawn with AC power connected.

Thanks
Bob
I don't think I've ever heard a good explanation of what specifically trips the breaker. In general, it would be from drawing too many amps or some kind of transient on the circuit. Connecting/disconnecting battery cables? Operating a slide and holding the button for a few seconds after it reaches end of travel? Hard to say.

SeattleLion

I got into the front compartment. There is no terminal strip resembling the pictures that Dan posted. I confirmed that both batteries are dead and that the DC converter works and powers the lights, etc. I agree it may be a breaker, but I can't find it. Here is what I saw in the compartment:

WP_20151219_14_26_27_Pro_LI.jpg

donr827

The picture you attached are the circuit breakers with a red cover on them.
Don

danemayer

The breaker between the batteries and Power Converter is usually a manual reset. Teeny-teeny-teeny-tiny reset button.

Domi

I absolutely agree with Don. This happened to us when we got our trailer. Had the same issue where the slide would not work on without shore power, then found the battery's dead.

Check both sides where the wires attach of the breaker for the tiny button and push it. It is really small. I missed it initially and only found it on the second look.

If you do not find one then your right it is an auto reset. It could be burned out and should then be replaced. You can take a meter and read each side for voltage to ground, if it broken the battery side will have no voltage. With ALL power off (disconnect the batter and shore power) you can do a resistance check across each breaker and verify if they are working. They should be a short, if you find an open than there is the problem. If not and no reset button then replace it.

I was able to pick up an auto reset one at the auto parts store until I was able to get the correct one from online.

God Luck.

John

Last edited:

jbeletti

Im guessing the manual resetting circuit breaker is the second one down from the top. Feel on the left side of that (and all of them if needed) to find a small protruding reset button and press it in to reset.

It's hard to find as it's underneath the wire and terminal.

SeattleLion

Thanks Jim and Dan!

We found the reset on the 2nd from the top breaker as you predicted, Jim. After about an hour we show good charge going in. I added a surge suppressor to the line we have going to the trailer just in case there was a surge. You guys saved us a lot of time, trouble, and money. Thank you so much!

Bob

jbeletti

Hi Bob - happy to hear you found it. Let us know if after you get a decent charge in the batts, if the slide return to proper operation - then I'll change the thread title to SOLVED: ....

SeattleLion

I'm happy to report that the problem is solved. The slides work and the batteries are fully charged.

Thanks!
Bob

jaeger

Well that's great news. I just spent $260 for new converter in Yuma two days ago. Just happy I found one on Xmas eve

mlpeloquin

When disconnecting the RV from AC power it should be done using a switch or circuit breaker. Just pulling the plug out can trip the 12V breaker. I have have had the same problem at home when just pulling the power cord out. We were in a rush to get going. I have a circuit breaker in the garage for the outlet so I just trip it first like your suppose to do at a RV park. Pulling the cord with power on does not trip the breaker every time. I am guessing that it must be the small amount of arcing on the AC input that plays havoc with the 12V converter. I don't know if plugging into a live socket will do the same since I never have done that. If you are using 115V socket at home, a switchable wall socket could replace a standard socket.
Switched Wall Socket.jpg

BPK9

Hi Bob,

Your battery indicator in the control panel is showing you the Power Converter output when connected to shore power. And the inside lights and furnace will run off the 12V supplied by the Power Converter when connected to shore power.

The hydraulics and likely also the electric slide are higher current devices that get powered from a buss bar/12V DC mini-circuit breakers that are powered by the batteries.

One of the 12V DC mini-breakers on that buss bar connects to the Power Converter and Fuse Box, which allows you to run the lights and furnace from your batteries, and also lets the Power Converter charge the batteries.

It sounds like the breaker has tripped and your batteries are depleted. I've attached pictures of the circuit breaker with teeny-tiny reset button, and the buss bar/breakers. Yours are likely covered by a red rubber boot.

If that doesn't take care of it, take a look at our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide for more help.

I just want to you for your help, I had the same problem and it was the mini-breaker. Thank you again.